Is it OK to put my ps3 in a vertical position?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by T-Machine99 (1848 posts) -

I'm going to move my ps3 out of the cabient, which is notwell-ventalated at-all. Is it ok to put it vertical and is it also OK if its on top of carpet?

#2 Posted by nyc05 (10178 posts) -
It's perfectly fine to keep your PS3 vertical but I would not recommend keeping it on the carpet. Buy an additional stand or something to place it on. I'm not saying you're going to have problems with it on the carpet but you very well could and there's no need to take unnecessary risks.
#3 Posted by T-Machine99 (1848 posts) -

Ok thanks, I just wanted to be sure before I did anything. I guess I will buy a small stand to put it on.

#4 Posted by Basher50 (16 posts) -
Idk about PS3 but with Xbox360 and PS2 if you have the console sideways it scratches your cds when you start the games and turn them off. I would assume PS3 does the same. As for the carpet thing....depends, do you have pets? If so i'd say no and also toss the vertical thing right out the door. Also easier to attract dust, dirk, and fabric from your carpet on there, 'd leave it somewhere safer like a shelf or somehing.
#5 Posted by SOedipus (6805 posts) -

Idk about PS3 but with Xbox360 and PS2 if you have the console sideways it scratches your cds when you start the games and turn them off. I would assume PS3 does the same. As for the carpet thing....depends, do you have pets? If so i'd say no and also toss the vertical thing right out the door. Also easier to attract dust, dirk, and fabric from your carpet on there, 'd leave it somewhere safer like a shelf or somehing.Basher50

That's not true, well not so much with the 360....but the console will scratch the disk if you move the console while it's reading one.

#6 Posted by TheGamerUser (289 posts) -
For the carpet question...probably not for dust and pet hair concerns.IMO, vertical looks more out-standing and bold, but one fatal knock can-(Too hard to say) :o
#7 Posted by _AsasN_ (3646 posts) -
You can definitely put it on it's side, and it's not a problem to have it on the carpet if the fibers are small, and can't touch the vents. You may as well put it on something anyway.

I don't think it's a large difference, but heat dissipation has been found to bebetter while the PS3 is horizontal.
#8 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

I have had mine vertical for some time, and I had mine in a cabinet for a while but now I have it on top of the TV cabinet. Also with the PS3 standing vertical it seems to run a little cooler. I wouldn't sit the console on carpet though.

I haven't turned my system off for some time now (I think it's been on for the past 3 or 4 months now).

#9 Posted by Staryoshi87 (12739 posts) -
Upright or missionary both works fine, so don't mind it. I wouldn't put it on carpet tho.
#10 Posted by AznTakumi (750 posts) -
It fine but make sure it doesn't fall or something, ps3 in vertical position isn't very stable.