Is gaming on a 60Hz (5ms) TV sufficient?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by StargamerX (1303 posts) -

I'm looking into a new TV, but am curious how fast it should be if I want to go online. I currently have a 60Hz (8ms) TV, and it has worked fine with games like Killzone 2 online. However, for some reason every now and then, the TV loses the signal. I don't know whether this is due to the refresh rate or the HDMI cable. So basically, do I need a 120Hz TV, or is 60Hz good enough?

#2 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -
The refresh rate would not cause you to lose signal, and I highly doubt that the difference is significant enough to worry about.
#3 Posted by DeftonesRule (214 posts) -

Or even better like a new LG with 250 (I think) of Tru Motion Tech. Wrap your mind around that.

#4 Posted by Duckman5 (18934 posts) -

Or even better like a new LG with 250 (I think) of Tru Motion Tech. Wrap your mind around that.

DeftonesRule
If you researched those TVs you would see that most reviewers say there is little to no difference in HD channels. There is only a small difference during BD playback.
#5 Posted by emitsu97 (10720 posts) -
60Hz is perfectly fine.
#6 Posted by x-l2eLeNtLeSs- (458 posts) -

sounds good to me

but i dont understand tv's much:P

#7 Posted by Ilikemyname420 (5146 posts) -

Only reason I could see someone wanting a 120hz+ refresh rate would be if you are really looking forward to the 3D glasses thing various companies are planning and actually think it will come out before you buy another TV.

#8 Posted by Darthmatt (8966 posts) -

most current games barely even render at 60hz. Sounds like a cable issue. The only reason I could see needing a 120hz TV for gaming is if you wanted to display at 1080i, but if you could use 1080p why would you use interlaced?

#9 Posted by bpw8 (558 posts) -
60hz is only going to be noticeable with HD programming ... like bluray movies and satelitte or cable HD channels. I notice a lot of motion blurring especially in sports. The 120hz would really fix that. but games seem to be stuck at a 30fps to 60fps variable rate.. some even dip below 30... and normal tvs are at 60hz which is basically 60fps. So you really shouldn't see a noticeable difference in gaming with 120hz, but it will be good for the other things I mentioned.
#10 Posted by StargamerX (1303 posts) -

Ok, thanks to everyone. :)