Is Dishonored Worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coyote_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Coyote_Black
Member since 2012 • 118 Posts

From what I have read it is a fun game, but the reviewers seemed to beat it in a short amount of time. I just hate playing a game that I can beat in 8-10 hours no matter how good it is.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Try renting it if u can.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#3 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

8 - 10 hours is an average completion time for a linear game, you aren't going to find many games that aren't open world and expect to clock over 12 hours or so.

Dishonored isn't an open world game, but the levels are open enough for a solid amount of exploration and finding alternative routes to accomplishing your objectives. If you appreciate that, and take your time without rushing, then Dishonored can easily clock in up to 15 hours. Plus replay value is one of the games strong points, as you won't unlock all the powers in a single playthrough, and on subsequent re-runs you can complete objectives via different means.

Awesome game, 9/10, get it!

Habsrule31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Habsrule31
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts
I have yet to play the game yet but I am also considering purchasing the title as well. Just from the reviews and some Lets Plays on Youtube have really made me want the game more and the replay value is great. You should give it a try just like I am going to do in the near future.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
dont have the ps3 version, but i put 28 hours into the game on steam. first play through was me just killing everyone in sight and not collecting the paintings, it went by fast. but by playing a second time for the no kill/no detection and getting the paintings, it took longer to complete just one stage. buy it. there are three endings depending on how you play. reviewers probably only got one ending and then reviewed the game.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

8 - 10 hours is an average completion time for a linear game, you aren't going to find many games that aren't open world and expect to clock over 12 hours or so.

Dishonored isn't an open world game, but the levels are open enough for a solid amount of exploration and finding alternative routes to accomplishing your objectives. If you appreciate that, and take your time without rushing, then Dishonored can easily clock in up to 15 hours. Plus replay value is one of the games strong points, as you won't unlock all the powers in a single playthrough, and on subsequent re-runs you can complete objectives via different means.

Venom_Raptor
quick question , do you keep all your powers when starting a second playthrough ?
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#7 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

AmnesiaHaze

quick question , do you keep all your powers when starting a second playthrough ?

Unfortunately no. The replay value consists of experimenting with different play styles and selection of powers.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#8 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

It depends on whether or not you are willing to replay the game. I own it, it has some very unique gameplay ideas and let's you play it however you want, from stealth, raw combat or any other way you can imagine.

I would describe it as "semi-open world", it's not fully open world like say Skyrim, it's chapter based but each mission offers multiple ways to complete it, and they have their own mini missions.

Overall it's a good game but I wouldn't recommend getting it at 60$. It's simply too short, I beat it around 9-10 hours on normal, my second playthrough on hard was even shorter. But it's a game that you will enjoy playing multiple times.

But no I wouldn't recommend buying it for 60$.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
Yes. Just yes
Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
Very overrated IMO, if you haven't played Bioshock I suggest you play that.
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

An absolutely fantastic game, one of the best I've played in years. The length of the game depends on how you play, if you rush through it you can finish it in less than 8 hours, if you take your time exploring and collecting items it might take you 30 hours. Keep in mind you can replay it once as a pacifist and once as a killer, and each time the game will be different. Personally I would say yeah it's worth it, but maybe renting is good enough.

danielfadel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 danielfadel
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
People that are saying you can finish the game in 8-10 hours; That is not right. If you do that then you will not have the experience with the powers or sneaking around. I finished the game in two days (maybe a bit more) and I think it is worth it without doubts. I will be honest to say that this game is better than AC3.
Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
People that are saying you can finish the game in 8-10 hours; That is not right. If you do that then you will not have the experience with the powers or sneaking around. I finished the game in two days (maybe a bit more) and I think it is worth it without doubts. I will be honest to say that this game is better than AC3.danielfadel
The game can be easily finished in 10 hours, I tried the sneaky appoach in every mission and I had all of the most important powers, I just didn't restart the mission or checkpoint everytime I got spotted.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
if you don't want to play a great game because it's too short, you're a lost cause :P
Coyote_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Coyote_Black

if you don't want to play a great game because it's too short, you're a lost cause :PLoG-Sacrament

No, for me it is an issue of spending $60 on a game, or waiting until the price drops below $20 in 8 months.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I like the game but I regret spending 60 bucks on it. First time I did that in awhile too...

Habsrule31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Habsrule31
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts
At a local store where I live its being sold for $40 used so I would just wait till the price drops. Don't spend $60 if you're not comfortable because that game will go down in price eventually
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Replay valule and game longevity are some of my major factors I consider when buying a game. I rarely buy games full price. Dishonored I bought full price and thought it was absolutely worth it. My personal GOTY. It took me 12 hours but I purposely skipped content and sidequests for a second playthrough, and I never loaded the game (played through with any mistake I made) so you can easily spend more time in a single playthrough.

I say it's 100% worth it.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I spent more than 8 - 10 hours with it, that's for sure. I find it incredibly narrow-minded to pigeon hole all games like that. It's a fantastic, new game that has multiple different styles of play. Dishonored feels so fresh. I highly recommend it. But oddly enough, it seems like your petty rule has decided for you that you aren't getting this incredible game.
Coyote_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Coyote_Black
[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"]I spent more than 8 - 10 hours with it, that's for sure. I find it incredibly narrow-minded to pigeon hole all games like that. It's a fantastic, new game that has multiple different styles of play. Dishonored feels so fresh. I highly recommend it. But oddly enough, it seems like your petty rule has decided for you that you aren't getting this incredible game.

No (as I said before) for me it is an issue of spending $60 on a game, or waiting until the price drops below $20 in 8 months. I can't be the only one who thinks $60 is a lot of money to keep spending on games. Also, there are games out there which acan be fun but can be beaten in 8-10 hrs that weren't the $60 price tag (such as Star Wars Force Unleashed 2)
Coyote_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coyote_Black

whoops typo, I meant that weren't worth their $60 price tag

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
[QUOTE="Coyote_Black"][QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"]I spent more than 8 - 10 hours with it, that's for sure. I find it incredibly narrow-minded to pigeon hole all games like that. It's a fantastic, new game that has multiple different styles of play. Dishonored feels so fresh. I highly recommend it. But oddly enough, it seems like your petty rule has decided for you that you aren't getting this incredible game.

No (as I said before) for me it is an issue of spending $60 on a game, or waiting until the price drops below $20 in 8 months. I can't be the only one who thinks $60 is a lot of money to keep spending on games. Also, there are games out there which acan be fun but can be beaten in 8-10 hrs that weren't the $60 price tag (such as Star Wars Force Unleashed 2)

I agree with what you say about waiting. Very rarely will I buy games at full price anymore. I would say that if you don't know enough about the game where you would be willing to spend $60 on it, then I would probably wait. Most games drop fairly quickly in price anymore, and with holiday sales coming up soon it would be a good idea to wait.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
No (as I said before) for me it is an issue of spending $60 on a game, or waiting until the price drops below $20 in 8 months. I can't be the only one who thinks $60 is a lot of money to keep spending on games. Also, there are games out there which acan be fun but can be beaten in 8-10 hrs that weren't the $60 price tag (such as Star Wars Force Unleashed 2)Coyote_Black
No, you're not the only one. $60 is a lot of money to spend on a game which is why I drastically reduced my spending this gen. Aside from a couple of games, I don't buy new simply because I can't afford to anymore and MOST games are really not worth it. I've rented games that I thought I might be interested in buying, but after renting them I found them to be nothing special and definitely not worth buying brand new. I can't speak for Dishonored or whether I think it's worth it since I haven't played it yet. I will say it is one game I considered buying but canceled my pre-order at the last minute.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
[QUOTE="Coyote_Black"]No (as I said before) for me it is an issue of spending $60 on a game, or waiting until the price drops below $20 in 8 months. I can't be the only one who thinks $60 is a lot of money to keep spending on games. Also, there are games out there which acan be fun but can be beaten in 8-10 hrs that weren't the $60 price tag (such as Star Wars Force Unleashed 2)Kravyn81
No, you're not the only one. $60 is a lot of money to spend on a game which is why I drastically reduced my spending this gen. Aside from a couple of games, I don't buy new simply because I can't afford to anymore and MOST games are really not worth it. I've rented games that I thought I might be interested in buying, but after renting them I found them to be nothing special and definitely not worth buying brand new. I can't speak for Dishonored or whether I think it's worth it since I haven't played it yet. I will say it is one game I considered buying but canceled my pre-order at the last minute.

I've reduced my spending on games this gen too. One thing that's helped me save some money is the advent of DLC. Typically, if DLC is announced for a game before the game has been released, I'll usually wait for it to get cheaper so I can get the game and accompanying DLC for $60 or less. Though, it's not only DLC that's kind of put me off buying games on day one. Another factor is the over-reliance on patches to fix broken games that were rushed out the door to meet a deadline. I was burned a couple times by purchasing a game when it released at $60 and not being able to play it because it was broken. Then, by the time the patch is released I could have just waited and bought it for under $40. Anymore, I just find it hard to give that much money to an industry where it seems consumer trust and loyalty are sweet nothings they whisper in your ear as they're selling you a $60 beta. That's also why I find it so easy to support developers like CD Projeckt Red and the like with day one purchases, because you can tell that they genuinely give a sh!t. /rant
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

My first playthrough doing everything stealthy, reloading when spotted, taking different approaches, exploring every nook and cranny...It took me about 30 hours to beat the campaign...second go around I just went on a murder spree, took me about 5 hours. It all depends on how you play.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
[QUOTE="Coyote_Black"][QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"]I spent more than 8 - 10 hours with it, that's for sure. I find it incredibly narrow-minded to pigeon hole all games like that. It's a fantastic, new game that has multiple different styles of play. Dishonored feels so fresh. I highly recommend it. But oddly enough, it seems like your petty rule has decided for you that you aren't getting this incredible game.

It depends on how badly you want the game. I think that since Dishonored is fresh enough to deserves a $60 price point. At least for me. A lot of other games are cool but not for $60. Vanquish is my go-to answer for that. It is incredible, but even $30 would be a stretch.