Is Dishonored like Bioshock?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Tigerman950 (2417 posts) -

Based on what I've read and the gameplay footage I've seen, Dishonored seems like a good game but also similar to Bioshock in some ways, namely the first-person nature and use of superhuman abilities. Would you say the two are similar? Because if that's the case I know what I'm getting this Thanksgiving.

#2 Posted by finalserenade75 (2162 posts) -

Probably not.

Bioshock's signature was in the world of Rapture really, not just in the fact that it was a FPS with super-human powers. The world of Bioshock is very fleshed out, and has a lot of history behind it. Dishonored is not a shooter to begin with, it's an action game with RPG elements and first person view. But yeah, it does have super-human powers. That being said, while the world of Dishonored is not as fleshed out, it has one of the most fascinating art styles out there.

Both games have very different atmospheres, but I very much loved each of them. I would say Dishonored is my favorite of the two though, mainly because of the amazing gameplay.

#3 Posted by jordonj (1069 posts) -
I thought it was closer to Deus Ex (But then, Deus Ex and Bioshock are spiritual successors to System Shock, but I digress). I highly recommend it.
#4 Posted by Chamboosy (4309 posts) -

It's good, but it's different to Bioshock. As mentioned, it's more like Deus Ex meets Thief. I found the story a bit bland though. The gameplay is great though, really good fun.

#5 Posted by PetJel (3724 posts) -

It shares some vague similarities. First person, powers, combat, and a strange world with some freak inhabitants. Most of all the gameplay is so damn good, get it.

#6 Posted by Socijalisticka (1621 posts) -

Dishonored is conceptually parallel to Bioshock as it values multiple playstyles without any regard for depth, or balance.

(But then, Deus Ex and Bioshock are spiritual successors to System Shock, but I digress)jordonj

yea...no.

#7 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -

Based on what I've read and the gameplay footage I've seen, Dishonored seems like a good game but also similar to Bioshock in some ways, namely the first-person nature and use of superhuman abilities. Would you say the two are similar? Because if that's the case I know what I'm getting this Thanksgiving.

Tigerman950
Bear in mind I haven't played Dishonored yet, but to compare it to BioShock (which I have played) is doing the game a disservice. At first glance it appears to resemble BioShock--those were my immediate first impressions as well--but the more game play videos I watched the less I was reminded about BioShock. And as finalserenade astutely points out, BioShock was more than just being a FPS; it was more about the world of Rapture and discovering what happened. I don't get that vibe at all from what I've seen with Dishonored. I plan on at least renting it in the short term (money is tight right now).
#8 Posted by Fear- (525 posts) -
The game looks like it was inspired by a few games Bioshock being one of them, Bioshock is easily the better game and Dishonoured doesn't come close in terms of atmosphere, story, characters, setting or powers...but the combat with pretty good. Bioshock the better game, Dishonoured very overrated imo.
#9 Posted by biggest_loser (24105 posts) -
It feels far too much like Bioshock, particularly how you pick up items and switch powers, only its not as fun. I'd wait for Bioshock Infinite and skip Dishonored. Its vastly overrated.
#10 Posted by PetJel (3724 posts) -

I don't understand how people can say the world lacks atmosphere :o The artstyle is amazing and unique, and you get a lot of clues about how the world looks and works, it truely came to life for me. If you pay attention to detail you see maps of the world lying around, showing the various isles, you can read books about the technology and whaling industry, the rise of the plague, there is backstory on the political situation on the isles. Not to mention that you can see a lot of previous or later mission locations in the backgrounds of the levels if you look around, which I thought was really cool.

#11 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Not really.