Insomniac doesn't even know when Ratchet And Clank QForce Is Releasing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388929/insomniac-frustrated-over-ratchet-clank-qforce-vita-silence/

An Insomniac Games rep has said the developer shares the "frustration" of gamers miffed over the lack of news on the Vita version of Rachet & Clank: QForce (aka Full Frontal Assault in US), which has missed its already-delayed release window without explanation.

The game - which crucially was pitched as a cross-buy, cross-play title for PS3 and Vita - hit PS3 in November, but the Vita version was delayed to January.

This window has been clearly missed and there's yet to be any further correspondence from publisher Sony or Tin Giant - the outsourced developer handling the Vita port.

#2 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388929/insomniac-frustrated-over-ratchet-clank-qforce-vita-silence/

An Insomniac Games rep has said the developer shares the "frustration" of gamers miffed over the lack of news on the Vita version of Rachet & Clank: QForce (aka Full Frontal Assault in US), which has missed its already-delayed release window without explanation.

The game - which crucially was pitched as a cross-buy, cross-play title for PS3 and Vita - hit PS3 in November, but the Vita version was delayed to January.

This window has been clearly missed and there's yet to be any further correspondence from publisher Sony or Tin Giant - the outsourced developer handling the Vita port.

Blake135

There's the problem. All too often they are outsourcing the Vita version of games to other devs. I'd really wish they would keep these things in house. Not only does it normally guarentee a better port, but it also avoids situations like this. 

#3 Posted by darkspineslayer (19546 posts) -
Wait, so if I went and bought the PS3 version, either boxed or digital, I couldn't get the Vita version? Glad I held off.
#4 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Wait, so if I went and bought the PS3 version, either boxed or digital, I couldn't get the Vita version? Glad I held off.darkspineslayer

If you get the PS3 Version you will still get the game for the Vita..however when exactly you will get the game..no one knows. Was supposed to come out last year but got delayed, then January 29th however now we have no clue not even Insomniac knows. I assume the game is only $20 I hope it Recieves a PS Plus Discount for the Vita version, annoyed at the delays.

#5 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -

There's the problem. All too often they are outsourcing the Vita version of games to other devs. I'd really wish they would keep these things in house. Not only does it normally guarentee a better port, but it also avoids situations like this. 

Toxic-Seahorse
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale was outsourced to Bluepoint games, and I've honestly got to say that what I've played of the Vita version felt better than the console version, if nothing else for the crispness of native resolution. It can certainly work, and there are plenty of great studios to outsource to. MGS: HD Collection felt pretty good as well for an outsourced port.
#6 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

Granpire
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale was outsourced to Bluepoint games, and I've honestly got to say that what I've played of the Vita version felt better than the console version, if nothing else for the crispness of native resolution. It can certainly work, and there are plenty of great studios to outsource to. MGS: HD Collection felt pretty good as well for an outsourced port.

Oh no doubt there are many cases where an outsourced port works wonderfully (I'm a PC gamer after all, I deal with a lot of ports) but a lot of the times the other studio isn't as capable as the one that made the game. Optimization issues may occur as well as some extra effects and what not removed that might not have been required to get the game running smoothly on the Vita.
#7 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Of course, but it works out as often as not. It's also worth noting that PSASBR was developed alongside the PS3 version, so there was some collaboration between the developers during the development rather than after it. I'm sure that changes the dynamic significantly.