Infamous 2 better than Infamous?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

Is Infamous 2 better than the first game, and is it worth buying at full $60 retail?

Apparently it has gotten a lower Gamespot score than the first game (7.5, as opposed to the first game's 9.0) but other review outlets and plenty of users have recommended the game with flying colors. I don't see how they could've gotten such a significant difference in their scores on here if the gameplay and look is almost exactly the same.

How is it in comparison to the first game?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
The powers and gameplay I think are better. The story isn't as great. It's still good, but it does have some pacing issues. I think that was the reviewers main problem.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

In terms of gameplay, then yeah, it's better.

In terms of story and voice acting, it was worse.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I thought it was about as good as Infamous. It was kind of short though, I platinumed it in only four days, I could've just rented it for 1/6 the price... It's still a good game though, maybe buy it when it is cheaper or rent.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I think so. inFamous 1 was really good though.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Please don't just look at the scores in reviews. That is just not a good way when judging games. In fact, we should just scrape the whole scoring system because they don't make sense anyway. And it's better game.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Amazing game. I got the platinum in a week and i had never got one before.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Infamous 2 makes the first unplayable.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

What do all of you have to say about the issues pointed out in the review, such as the "uneven pacing, unbalanced combat, irritating camera, flawed morality system?" Do they really hold the game down and prevent great fun, or are they minor or unnoticable issues nitpicked by a bad reviewer?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

What do all of you have to say about the issues pointed out in the review, such as the "uneven pacing, unbalanced combat, irritating camera, flawed morality system?" Do they really hold the game down and prevent great fun, or are they minor or unnoticable issues nitpicked by a bad reviewer?

Tigerman950

I don't know how the pacing is uneven, or how the combat is unbalanced (though I did find good karma much stronger, however people find it the other way around too), the camera posed no problems to me, and the morality system is flawed but isn't such a major part of it. I don't understand where the reviewer even got those complaints from.

Deathkne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Deathkne11
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

Yeah, I reckon InFamous2 is way better than the first. Pay no attention to the review of it here. Some people let the change of voice actors dampen their experience of the game. Personally speaking, it was a 'Awww, new dude voicing...' [plays for a while] 'New voice actor? meh...' moment.

Yeah, there are some issues at times with camera angle and the occasional fighting in confined spaces can be, ummmm, challenging, but its nothing that takes away from the overall good experience of the game.

ASDWEREWOLF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASDWEREWOLF
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I loved Infamous 2 more because the graphics were more intense and not as faded or washed out as in Infamous 1. Infamous 2 dragged in spots but it also was faster paced in spots too. Infamous 2's biggest draw back was you fought the exact same BOSS monsters too many times and after awhile you just felt like you were going through the paces killin em. Gamers will forgive many things in a game but bone crunching monotony is not something any gamer will easily forgive. The story was weak because, Infamous two with its total reliance on repeating the same exact BOSS monsters in different situations just got way too predictable and after a while boring. Don't get me wrong but, Infamous 2 was also too short 37 chapters and it was over. Despite all the things I said above I was LOVING Infamous 2 because it was a LOT of fun. Infamous 2 was way better than Infamous 1. Infamous 1 had a better tighter storyline but Infamous 2 just was more visually interesting. The story in Infamous 2 was good it just repeated too much and was too short. I loved the weapons in Infamous 2 better. Infamous 1 had its flaws. Trash bags could not be destroyed in Infamous 1. Cardboard boxes could not be destroyed in Infamous 2. In Infamous one Cole could climb everything except a chain link fence. I have cerebral palsy pretty bad and I can climb a chain link fence. HA HA!
Moon__Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Moon__Light
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts
Infamous 2 is easily the better game, the review is very harsh imo, If you enjoyed Infamous I cant see why you wouldnt like the second 1.
Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I think it's worth it. If you enjoyed the first one, then there is no reason why you woudn't enjoy the second one.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

Gameplay is much improved. Story is not great compared to the first game and much shorter. Partly because I didn't feel like doing side missions.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

inFamous 2 is overall a step back from its predecessor. there are issues across the board, most notably with its poor story and character, disfunctional audio, as well as repetitive missions. the UGC was somewhat disappointing too, offering meaningless stuff that adds nothing to the core game. about the only aspect where it shines is the expansion of power set.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

Tigerman950

What Mc Shea said was actually legit. i thought i would find out myself and unfortunately i arrived at the same conclusion. about the only thing i disagree with is the combat, thanks to the new powers - and even that gets burried under the issues and quickly becomes a chore.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
im struggling to get into Infamous 2 characters look different, worse voice actors, a bit boring.
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

I liked the game better then the first one and it is worth the $60. I paid $60 and I don't regret it.

atxman06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 atxman06
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts

Infamous 2 is definitely not a step back.. and IS better than infamous 1 whether marginally to some or by leaps and bounds to others. To say that infamous 2 has taken a step back then you are nit picking... and i can go back to infamous 1 as well and nit pick on all that was bad about that game... which it definitely had its blunders. But the point is not to nit pick on every little detail that annoyed you, as an individual, but to give a general consensus of whats good from the first compared to what is good from the sequel... Definitely not a step back in my opinion.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Infamous

-Better story (IMO)

-Better pacing

-Better large enemies

Infamous 2

-Better graphics

-Better powers

-More enemy variety

-Better endings (IMO)

Overall they are both amazing games but Infamous 2 is the better game IMO.

AreYouFried

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AreYouFried
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts

Infamous 2 makes the first unplayable.

spookykid143
That sums up my feelings exactly in terms of gameplay and presentation but your ability to use all the powers you worked so hard for in the first is very appealing. I dont think InFamous 2 can top Infamous in terms of the story though.
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

Much, much, much, much, MUCH better than the first. The ending (both good and evil) is AMAZING, and I liked the evil one the best. The game is simply phenomenal, my personal GOTY so far.

Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

You can get the Hero Edition of Infamous 2 at Gamestop for 60 bucks. Just got it today. I'm playing Infamous 1 now, so once I finish that, I'll pop in Infamous 2. Pretty stoked.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

It's better than the first but still lacks. I wasn't very happy when I beat the game.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
INfamous 2 =masterpiece
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Gamespot's review of Infamous 2 totally dropped the ball. It is one that they should just flush down the toilet and hope everyone forgets about it. Infamous 2 is superior to Infamous in nearly every way. 1) Lots of improvements...Better graphics, better powers, better side missions, far less repetitive gameplay. 2) The enemies are as good overall as the first game if not better. Infamous 2 seems far more integrated as far as support characters and how often the different factions clash. 3) The user generated content is pretty awesome too. There's a whole lot of time to be killed there with Little Big Planet style creations. Seriously some of them are really out there, like a ski ball game, etc. Its far more than people just creating missions that mimic those in the game. There is a lot of creativity here. 4) The city and location are totally fleshed out and awesome looking. I wont spoil or I could say more. All I can say is its rare to find anyone other than Gamespot talking down this game. Its awesome. If you liked the first game, you have to play this one.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Most definitely, and inFamous 1 was an excellent game.
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

Is Infamous 2 better than the first game, and is it worth buying at full $60 retail?

Apparently it has gotten a lower Gamespot score than the first game (7.5, as opposed to the first game's 9.0) but other review outlets and plenty of users have recommended the game with flying colors. I don't see how they could've gotten such a significant difference in their scores on here if the gameplay and look is almost exactly the same.

How is it in comparison to the first game?

They are pretty much the same. Nothing epic. But worth playing if you can get it for the right price.
agszepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 agszepp
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Yes I think it is better. You get a wholeset of new powers and that makes it a lot better because there are more ways to take out your enemies. You also get the UGC element which is great.

Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#31 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

Definitely not a step backward to Infamous games, Infamous 1 is an excellent game no doubt about that, but INfamous 2 was just amazing in everyway. Story "the beast was a badass", characters "not just Cole, Zeke and Trish. A lot of characters this time around", Graphics "And no glitches", Sound. It's all an improvement over its predecessor. I don't know if they're planning to make a new infamous game or not. I'm curious about their next move.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

inFAMOUS

-Better Story

-Better Level design

-Better bosses

inFAMOUS 2

-more fluant gameplay

-Characters are more fleshed out

-much improved presentation

-Better voice acting

That is all I'll say... If you liked the first a great deal, you should enjoy the second

shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts
In terms of gameplay, graphics, traversal mechanics and the game world, then yes, by all means it above and beyond inFamous 1. Story wise it's a little weak, it throws in a bunch of new characters at the beginning and doesn't spend enough time characterising them.
ThisIsTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThisIsTwoFace
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts
Cole McGrath's voice in Infamous 1 was better than Infamous 2.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
It had lot of potential but it felt short compared to infamous 1, still pretty good. With the online you are looking to hours and hours of gameplay. Great game, just not quiet as good as Infamous 1
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Old thread is old.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Personally I thought 2 was better than the first one, and I loved the first. I don't really agree with some of the criticisms. I really didn't find the pacing to be bad, and as far as repetition....sure you fight some of the same bosses several times, but look at how repetitive the side missions were in the first game. Flawed morality system? Eh, perhaps, but it wasn't really a bother for me. And yeah, I was a little taken aback by the change in voice actor, but after awhile I got use to it for the most part. Overall I feel that 'Infamous 2' is an improvement over the first game.

Edit: and I hate when I don't notice a necro thread.

ozspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ozspark
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]The powers and gameplay I think are better. The story isn't as great. It's still good, but it does have some pacing issues. I think that was the reviewers main problem.

Pretty much this, powers are much better imo.