If hard drive wasn't as filled, would it increase life cycle

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Does an +80% full hard drive put more wear & tear on PS3 compared to say a 50% full hard drive in a PS3? I am pretty much saying "If a PS3 hard drive wasn't as filled, would it increase the life cycle?". Would it have any effect on the speed of PS3? I don't think it would effect speed. With all the PS+ games, I was thinking that maybe keeping all these PS+ games on my hard drive may hurt the hard drive's life cycle. I could always delete them, re-download any PS+ games later from the download list. The problem would be convenience with the downloading time. I want to have my PS3s last as long as possible by vacuuming vents, no excessive use of PS3,.... maybe keep hard drive less full? What do you think?

I have a 500 GB Super Slim and a 750 GB Slim.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I wouldn't think that it does, sure harddrives contain all of that data, but they don't need to access it all at once. If it had to access it (all of the data, like at once) and frequently, then yes it would probably wear out the harddrive quicker, but since it accesses what it needs, I don't think it would.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

@2ndwonder:

It makes sense. I just downloaded all my games and installations on my 750 GB Slim PS3. It is filled to 550 GB now. As I did game installations to my new hard drive, I noticed some of these installation took so extremely long time like Gran Turismo 5 and SOCOM 4. I don't want to delete anything and re-download later because it was time consuming. To make my PS3 last long as possible, I am just gonna vacuum dust from the vents and simply not overuse the PS3.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I know SSDs like having a little extra space around so they can do TRIM on their drive to even out wear, but physical hard drives I doubt it matters how full you keep them.