i need help connecting internet to my ps3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamergurl5254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamergurl5254
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

well im not completely technology stupid. i tried everything! my ps3 just wont connect. heres my info

i have high speed cable internet. so i just plugged the wire into the back of my playstation 3 and did the automatic setup for internet connection. but it never connects! is there some type of converter? ive tried manual in which i made sure "wireless" wasnt selected as type of internet. is there anything im doing wrong? its really fustrating bc i have 2 great games that have great online play reviews but i cannot connect! any words of advice?

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 akira2465
Member since 2004 • 1194 Posts
i'd try to do a manuel set up and then in order to connect it to your router you have to input your router's address ( the number that came up when you were setting up the router to hook up to your computer)
gamergurl5254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamergurl5254
ok but the only problem is, its split from our cable tv input so a technician had to come in and arrange it. is there a way to obtain the routers address through the computer?
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I hook my PS3 up via my cable modem (Comcast). All I do is connect the phone cord (for lack of better term) from the PS3 into the modem and it works just fine.
gamergurl5254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamergurl5254

well see thats pretty much what i have been doing, but ive been using the original "phone line" that comes from the cable modem and goes to your pc, i unhook it from my pc and into my ps3. when i check internet status on the ps3 i see an ip address (underneath it it says "for private networks only") and my cable modem isnt what i would call a "smart box" all it has are flashing lights and a power cord/internet cable and "phone line" running from the box to my pc. so i cant really change settings on it.

i went on playstations website and got a 1800 number to call im gonna try it and if that cant fix the problem-then grr. i have both MGS4 and GTA4 and ive beat both of them and wanna try online play!

trapper94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 trapper94
Member since 2008 • 801 Posts
Take the ethernet cable that came with the PS3. Put it in the back of the PS3. Then put the otherend of it in your modem/router. Then sign up PSN free of charge!
scoop777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 scoop777
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I cannot connect to the internet. I have an hd digital cable modem and I am plugging into that and of course the ps3. My connectivity test fails and it says cant locate an ip number for me. Says for private network only. Also noticed parental control set at level 9 and I tried to change that but wants password. I dont have a clue what my password is. It has an option to start internet browser but I need the correct password to change the password to something else. What a mess.
mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

I cannot connect to the internet. I have an hd digital cable modem and I am plugging into that and of course the ps3. My connectivity test fails and it says cant locate an ip number for me. Says for private network only. Also noticed parental control set at level 9 and I tried to change that but wants password. I dont have a clue what my password is. It has an option to start internet browser but I need the correct password to change the password to something else. What a mess. scoop777

Your default password is probably 0000.

For Internet go to wired settings and manual setup. You wrote that you have a modem sense you can only connect one device to it. Unplug your PC and connect PS3 with the modem with eterneth cable.

On manual settings put everything on automatic except:

IP Address Settings: manual

IP Address: 192.168.1.1 ( Last number can be any number betwen 1-100, but try with 1 first )

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Router: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Proxy Server: Do Not Use

UPnP: Enable

Notice that after you do all setup you will preform connection test and there you should get NAT type: Type 1 (connected directly to the internet)

You also have Type 2 and 3 but you should not get them. they mean that you are connected to the internet via router.

I HOPE IT WILL WORK FOR YOU GUYS:)

ThadCarlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThadCarlson
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

why dont you just use a wireless connection the ps3 has wifi built in

mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

why dont you just use a wireless connection the ps3 has wifi built in

ThadCarlson

Because they do not have wireless router or modem, only wired modem and maybe they do not want to buy them and spend more money if it is possible to connect to Internet without it.

Jeff1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jeff1124
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
hey i tried to use ur advice and it said that P adress is successful but the internet connection failed. What should i do?