I am too scared to play Outlast!

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by k--m--k (994 posts) -

Damn it guys, I was told this wont happen when I grow up

I am already 23 and I still have to force myself in these horror games

sometimes I even skip sleeping after I play a game so they wont kill me while I sleep

now this game with night vision and dark hallways, too much to endure!!!!

I am only 10 minutes into the game and I want someone to hold my hand to feel safe again

#2 Edited by marcheegsr (2462 posts) -

lol Im 28, I had a few moments that made me jump out of my seat so to speak in the first hour.

#3 Posted by yokofox33 (29225 posts) -

I'm right there with ya, buddy. I'll play it during the day. Although, if you watch Conan O'Brien he did a Clueless Gamer segment with Outlast and it was hilarious. I'll try to think of that when playing the game.

#4 Edited by rogelio22 (2342 posts) -

I tried to play this awhile ago and couldn't do it! its just to creepy! I about jumped behind my couch on the first startle scare! nope not gonna play or finish this lol! I already have to many nightmares as it is

#6 Posted by supa_badman (16623 posts) -

it's a lot of fun

gets the atmosphere right

#7 Posted by MFbronz (394 posts) -

shoot im pushing 35 and the game freaks me the hell out!

#8 Edited by marcheegsr (2462 posts) -

Im making sure I only play this game at night with the lights off. Playing during the day ruins the mood for me.

#9 Posted by i-rock-socks (3046 posts) -

i play every horror game i can get my hands on, and it made my heart race a few times, its not too scary tho

ur character is so weak and blind that enemies have to be too, realizing this cut the fear factor in half. plus there should be more enemies you have to avoid and the big guy chasing you should be chasing you most of the time instead of just some of the time. my two cents.

playing the game as intended (dark room, headphones, brightness set to blind) and the biggest fear was permanent eye damage. great game but its a big strain on the eyes (beat it in four hours and i felt like i was staring at the sun for ten).

the anticipation for what the game had in store was more panic inducing then anything the game had. most people that say its "horrifying" are not a horrorphile,

when i was younger (im 24) and wanted to get myself to play thru a horror game (doom 3, and silent hill 2 come to mind) reminding myself it was just a game helped. try playing with the lights on, or no headphones, or just taking a break til you can stomach playing it again. its still a great game i recommend playing it thru completely, grow some hair on ur chest, male or female :P

#10 Posted by commandokock (498 posts) -

a few of the startling moments got me. i thought it would be dumb since its free [for ps+] but i like it so far. this game has the kind of creepy vibe i wish modern resident evil games would have.

#11 Posted by DigiTM64 (83 posts) -

About to try it tonight after work. Just not certain if I should play it through my headphones, or the the 7.1 home cinema system on the projector in the dark with nothing but a candle on the table.

#12 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

The game is pretty freaky. Reminds me a lot of 'Condemned' for the 360, but with a lot less badass of a character. I wish I could pull a rebar off a wall and beat some of those dudes down with it. Instead, I guess I'll have to resort to hiding under a bed until they go away. Still cool game though.

#13 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

I think the real terror comes from the fact that you can't defend yourself! It just adds to the other elements of the game. No assault rifles, pistols or shotgun, your only defense is running and hiding.

That's true survival horror....hopefully the bigger name franchises will take notice.

#14 Posted by k--m--k (994 posts) -

Hey its nice to see people of same age and up share my feeling about horror games

I was expecting comments like "be a man, rawrrrrrrr"

I will finish this game ! yes I will!

I finished all of dead space trilogy by the sheer of will power and I can do so with this game!

#15 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

Hey its nice to see people of same age and up share my feeling about horror games

I finished all of dead space trilogy by the sheer of will power and I can do so with this game!

You'll rarely run into people on these forums who will troll you for just expressing your personal feelings! It can be risky sometimes, but most people here are pretty cool.

#16 Edited by RiKanKiDD (1058 posts) -

I played the game in pitch darkness with my Ps4 controller light covered with tape in my basement. Truly added to the horror and my heart was beating, this game was awesome.

#17 Edited by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

I played the game in pitch darkness with my Ps4 controller light covered with tape in my basement. Truly added to the horror and my heart was beating, this game was awesome.

The beginning of a possible big franchise.

#18 Edited by barry000 (816 posts) -

i'm also 23 and outlast is scary. when i was a kid, i was one of those kind of kids that was afraid of the dark and never fully got over that fear (mostly because my dad has the habbit of scaring me for laughs) so whenever i watch horror movies or play horror games, that fear comes back (which isn't often because i'm not a big fan of horror stuff). i played outlast tuesday and within the first 10 minutes, it scared the crap out of me. no horror movie or game has ever made me jump AND yell but outlast has (twice....so far). i played it again last night and after i jumped 3 more times, i decided "ok thats enough for tonight" lol. i play outlast in the dark while using the pulse elite edition headset for the full experience.

#19 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -

Not played outlast but seen some gameplay, looks great. Off topic but I personally can't wait for evil within, play with the lights off can't wait!!

#20 Posted by GTR12 (9060 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

You'll rarely run into people on these forums who will troll you for just expressing your personal feelings! It can be risky sometimes, but most people here are pretty cool.

That's cos GS is mediocre now, a lot of people have left.

Back on topic, I refuse to play any horror game, yes anything, never played dead space or any games mentioned here.

#21 Edited by SgtSutton (322 posts) -

Just started playing it tonight with the lights off. I quickly turned on the lamp. Now every light in my house is on haha,

Really interesting start to it, hope the rest is as fun as the beginning!

#22 Edited by k--m--k (994 posts) -

Played another 15 minutes today

they consist of me looking at doors and dead dark hallways and saying "nope, nope, nope, i am not going there"

#23 Posted by Netret0120 (1999 posts) -

Wow:-P

I wanna try this game and play it around my university friends. Sounds like fun

#24 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3832 posts) -

i had to quit the game, i could no longer play it,

walking into a room with a tv turning on with a scream was one thing, but opening that one door with the dead body being hanged down made me quit haha

#25 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

walking into a room with a tv turning on with a scream was one thing, but opening that one door with the dead body being hanged down made me quit haha

The fact that you are powerless in this game is what's making it have such a deep impact on people

#26 Edited by kemar7856 (11506 posts) -

i cant pass the part when you turn on the generator some guy comes in and kills me everytime but the ony part that scared me was when this guy was in the wheelchair you walk pass him nothing then when you leave the room lalalalala RAWRRRRRRR

#27 Edited by marcheegsr (2462 posts) -

I just finished the game tonight on hard setting first time through. I actually died quite a bit. But it forced me to think about my next move instead of just running around.

Great game, I want a sequel please.

#28 Posted by Eisen_Howl (83 posts) -

I've yet to download it, or play it.

But holy cow, i'm already scared to play it and i've yet to even touch it.

Seeing some of the videos out there, i know for sure that i'll be scared spineless in the game.

#29 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

I think the real terror comes from the fact that you can't defend yourself! It just adds to the other elements of the game. No assault rifles, pistols or shotgun, your only defense is running and hiding.

That's true survival horror....hopefully the bigger name franchises will take notice.

Running and hiding all game long is not something that will become a staple of AAA horror games. I'm interested to see how Alien:Isolation will handle this.

#30 Posted by getyeryayasout (7050 posts) -

Lights down, surround up. Don't be scurred.

#31 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -
#32 Edited by GrayF0X786 (3832 posts) -

@GrayF0X786 said:

The fact that you are powerless in this game is what's making it have such a deep impact on people

that is what makes the game great, any inclusion of weapons would have ruined it

#33 Posted by crewe8 (674 posts) -

Played it for about 10 mins before jumping, which had the mrs crying with laughter, so will be playing again when she is not here ! I could feel my heart racing already, watched a few clips online, and i'm sure i'm going to jump a few more times ! ( i'm 35 this year )

#34 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

Running and hiding all game long is not something that will become a staple of AAA horror games. I'm interested to see how Alien:Isolation will handle this.

Seems like you are in the minority on this one fella

#35 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@MarcRecon said:

We will see how much a $60 game based on this game mechanic sells. The only reason so many people are playing Outlast is because it is cheap on PC or "free" on PS Plus.

#36 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

it's a lot of fun

Indeed it does. I'm almost done lol

#37 Posted by k--m--k (994 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@MarcRecon said:

We will see how much a $60 game based on this game mechanic sells. The only reason so many people are playing Outlast is because it is cheap on PC or "free" on PS Plus.

I must say, first time I play a survivor horror game

they always been silent hill or dead space style, with guns and option to kill the scary things that pops out

and I gotta be honest, survivor horror like outlast or Alien: Isolation is much better and scarier direction for such game

#38 Edited by Randolph (10425 posts) -

it's a lot of fun

Only thing it got right, sadly. Outlast is a one trick pony, and it only gets that trick right briefly. Trial and error riddled monotonous gameplay cancels out any potential scares the farther in you get. I'm really glad it was free, by the time I beat it a little while ago, I honestly started to hate it.

#39 Edited by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@MarcRecon said:

lol...dude, just let it go I'm not going back-N-fourth with you on this topic because it's POINTLESS! We both expressed our opinions...we just dis-agree....PERIOD...THE END

#40 Posted by highking_kallor (478 posts) -

Had a run in with the doctor a few nights back. Have not gone back since. May have to crack it through this weekend.

#41 Posted by l34052 (3108 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

Damn it guys, I was told this wont happen when I grow up

I am already 23 and I still have to force myself in these horror games

sometimes I even skip sleeping after I play a game so they wont kill me while I sleep

now this game with night vision and dark hallways, too much to endure!!!!

I am only 10 minutes into the game and I want someone to hold my hand to feel safe again

Pull yourself together, your 23 years old not 7 so stop being a pussy.

#42 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

Had a run in with the doctor a few nights back. Have not gone back since. May have to crack it through this weekend.

Chris Walker(the big guy that stalks you) is my new boogie man!!! lol...Nemesis from RE use to terrified me but not anymore because you could at least fight him back. There is nothing you can do against chris except run and hide, and what's messed up is that he doesn't run at all...he just slowly walks....dragging those chains, knowing that all of that running is pointless because the second he catches you, he's gonna RIP out your guts.

But you right about the Dr., he was a sick bastard!

#43 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

@highking_kallor said:

Chris Walker(the big guy that stalks you) is my new boogie man!!! lol...Nemesis from RE use to terrified me but not anymore because you could at least fight him back. There is nothing you can do against chris except run and hide, and what's messed up is that he doesn't run at all...he just slowly walks....dragging those chains, knowing that all of that running is pointless because the second he catches you, he's gonna RIP out your guts.

The Doctor was actually very funny to me lol. The way how he wanders and searches under the beds for you and whines how he's an amateur for not cutting your legs off so you couldn't hide in the first place was hilarious. Now Zombie Fat Bastard is a different story. He means business and never grows tired in a chase lol.

#44 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

@highking_kallor said:

The Doctor was actually very funny to me lol. The way how he wanders and searches under the beds for you and whines how he's an amateur for not cutting your legs off so you couldn't hide in the first place was hilarious. Now Zombie Fat Bastard is a different story. He means business and never grows tired in a chase lol.

So, where you able to figure out what to do with those 3 items?

#45 Posted by SoupyFlow (10 posts) -

I prefer to play it alone, at night, with the lights off and with my Astros on. However I can usually only deal with it for 30 minutes at a time haha!

#46 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:
@MarcRecon said:

@highking_kallor said:

Well once I loaded the game back up they automatically put me in front of it lol. But unfortunately I have to re-search for them all because the game doesn't save every step you do. I ended up being lazy and got cornered by the guy there and he whacked me to death lmaoo

#47 Edited by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

@MarcRecon said:

@Young_Charter said:
@MarcRecon said:

@highking_kallor said:

Well once I loaded the game back up they automatically put me in front of it lol. But unfortunately I have to re-search for them all because the game doesn't save every step you do. I ended up being lazy and got cornered by the guy there and he whacked me to death lmaoo

You almost home but you still got away to go!!! lol

#48 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:

@MarcRecon said:

@Young_Charter said:
@MarcRecon said:

@highking_kallor said:

You almost home but you still got away to go!!! lol

Lol I just got home from practice. I might boot it up and start now or probably play Warframe or blacklight lol

#49 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

the game is very scary.

#50 Posted by smmujtaba2013 (6 posts) -

Honestly i am 14 and i do not get scared that much while playing horror game
but when i do
i have to clean the chair afterwards
Try to play this game when you DONT have to pee or shit
just watch pewdiepie on youtube he is so scared i like him