I am glad so glad i bought a used watch dog(review)

#1 Edited by ewalthour (763 posts) -

I couldn't help myself. I had to buy a used copy even though I am waiting on my Que from gamefly to send me a copy. I will without a doubt return watch dog to gamestop in 7 days for a full refund.

The Que from gamefly is on low availability( will probably take forever to get the game shipped to me).

I have read video reviews on every game site I could think of and every video comparison among all the systems. I am tired of hearing about the bad driving mechanics and needed to find out for myself.

First, let me get the score put of the way. I will give the game a overall 6.5 to 7/10 to be nice.

I guess I am a good driver because I can drive ok but the mechanics suck as far as the floaty feel of the car without weight to the surface of the road. Maneuvering thru traffic isn't bad since there isn't a high density of traffic. I do not feel the city is lively and robust and the npc's no matter what Sad story they have I hack everyone except deathly ill people who are broke anyway. I feel nothing for the pedestrians since the city feels blah to me.

I have played up until meeting Claire the bad boy hacker aiden has been in contact with.

The story is generic and I have no sympathy for no character yet and the missions are boring and predictable. Please tell me the story gets interesting at some point?

PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS VIBRATION WITH SHOOTING WEAPONS AND WHEN THE CAR PEELS OUT ON THE ROAD? I hope my game has a glitch. It is imperative to submerge me into gun fights to feel the recoil of the hand guns and the diiference between the machine guns. I need to feel like I am driving when I hit objects I want to feel the impact(vibration with dualshock).

The ctos guards are stupid to me and hacking so for feel like a gimic more than a intricate but also complicated yet simple to use tool.

Back to the driving, the police chases are downright ridiculous how they chase you down like speed demons. I don't car how well you drive and weave in and out of traffic you can't allude them. Your best bet is to get lucky andchack a barricade and even then they magically reappear to haubt you down. Now I love a challenge but the cops are a nuisance and are just not fu to deal with. It feels like you don't have control over your driving skills to avoid the cops once spotted. Also the cops repeat the same commands while chasing you down.

Ok, on to the graphics. The graphics at night are a 8/10 and daytime a 5/10. The disparity between night and day is literally night and day. The daytime color palette isms washed out and very little distinction between ps2 graphics. I mean GTA 5 graphics during the day are spectacular compared to watch dog. I mean just the fact I was able to get a used copy after 5 days from release should tell you this is far from a revolutionary next gen blockbuster.

I even thnk the explosions in GTA 5 look better and the car models are more detailed. Watch dog cars cartoonishly fall apart and wooden light poles explode into wooden compose when you drive onto it. It's laughable how far this game is to what was advertised. I will try to continue and play bit it's excruciatingly painful but essential in order to be sure it's as bad as the first few hrs.

Please answer about the vibration control on shooting etc. If this is missing from the game the game developers should be prosecuted for hacking into our gullibilie brains and our atm to fool us this game is worth $60.

That French A hole that was the promoter of watch dog should get his ass whooped.

#2 Posted by MethodManFTW (25789 posts) -
@ewalthour said:

That French A hole that was the promoter of watch dog should get his ass whooped.

That is a logical response to not liking a video game.

#3 Edited by BattleSpectre (6252 posts) -

Dude calm down man, I disagree with you on all of your points here as you probably already know. (you've obviously read my own thread, and I've even answered some of your questions about the game in another thread).

Anyways to answer some of your questions, I don't know what's wrong with your copy of the game but the shooting mechanics do feature recoil, when I'm shooting a fully-automatic machine gun I really have to hold the thumb stick down to counterattack that recoil.

As for your comments about the city, I find that offensive, lol. When it started getting cloudy I could hear an NPC say "Man, what the fvck is wrong with this weather?". Than as it started to rain the NPC's started to run someplace undercover and the rest of them pulled out umbrellas. If that doesn't feel life-like than I don't know what does, the character animations are superbly done.

Also you don't think the explosions in the game are graphically impressive? I'm sorry but I beg to differ, the fire and smoke effects are some of the best I've seen in a game. Anyways sorry to hear you couldn't enjoy the game. I recommend giving it a few more chances, you're still very early on in the game.

#4 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -

Just trade the game in already. You either like a game or you don't.

#5 Edited by MondasM (1286 posts) -

on ps4 everything works fine, i reckon this is a ps3 review...

#6 Edited by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@MondasM: this is on my ps4. I agree calling the french guy a A hole was slightly harsh. No one deserves to be called that. He was just doing his job and he did it well by selling us junk and calling it a AAA game. I just feel slighted with this guy constantly justifying yhis game and then delaying it at the last minute for 6 month and we still get this mediocrity. Nothing will convince me other wise unless the missions take a 180 degree turn. I think the cop chases were the most egregious technical screw up i have seen in any open world game. Right now the game really is a 6/10. GTA 5 is clearly a dime piece and superior graphically even on ps3 even though GTA has cartoony style faces in the series.

#7 Edited by SgtSutton (349 posts) -

The police chases are my biggest issue with the game. I don't like the driving either. I like the missions so far but I'm still a bit early.

#8 Posted by MondasM (1286 posts) -

as with every new game, it takes time to get used to certain mechanics... take your time, drive around a bit, different cars have different handling, there is sports car (not a performance one) named carrozza or something similar it is very responsive, learn to use focus during driving (a similar mechanic was used in driver san francisco, if you get used to it it is a breeze to avoid crashes... craft comms disruptors for avoiding police scans...

i am a huge fan of gta series (well, let's be honest i am a fan of rockstar in general) and gta 5 is a stellar game in almost every aspect, which i love and could not get enough of... however watch dogs is not the same game, it has different set of rules, different mechanics, however it is not a disaster simply because it's not a gta clone...

#9 Posted by SgtSutton (349 posts) -

@MondasM said:

as with every new game, it takes time to get used to certain mechanics... take your time, drive around a bit, different cars have different handling, there is sports car (not a performance one) named carrozza or something similar it is very responsive, learn to use focus during driving (a similar mechanic was used in driver san francisco, if you get used to it it is a breeze to avoid crashes... craft comms disruptors for avoiding police scans...

i am a huge fan of gta series (well, let's be honest i am a fan of rockstar in general) and gta 5 is a stellar game in almost every aspect, which i love and could not get enough of... however watch dogs is not the same game, it has different set of rules, different mechanics, however it is not a disaster simply because it's not a gta clone...

well those tricks for the police actually seem to work. Its really hard to get away from them before you level up though. now that I have more tricks in my arsenal it's a bit easier.

#10 Edited by Heirren (17388 posts) -

@ewalthour said:

I couldn't help myself. I had to buy a used copy even though I am waiting on my Que from gamefly to send me a copy. I will without a doubt return watch dog to gamestop in 7 days for a full refund.

The Que from gamefly is on low availability( will probably take forever to get the game shipped to me).

I have read video reviews on every game site I could think of and every video comparison among all the systems. I am tired of hearing about the bad driving mechanics and needed to find out for myself.

First, let me get the score put of the way. I will give the game a overall 6.5 to 7/10 to be nice.

I guess I am a good driver because I can drive ok but the mechanics suck as far as the floaty feel of the car without weight to the surface of the road. Maneuvering thru traffic isn't bad since there isn't a high density of traffic. I do not feel the city is lively and robust and the npc's no matter what Sad story they have I hack everyone except deathly ill people who are broke anyway. I feel nothing for the pedestrians since the city feels blah to me.

I have played up until meeting Claire the bad boy hacker aiden has been in contact with.

The story is generic and I have no sympathy for no character yet and the missions are boring and predictable. Please tell me the story gets interesting at some point?

PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS VIBRATION WITH SHOOTING WEAPONS AND WHEN THE CAR PEELS OUT ON THE ROAD? I hope my game has a glitch. It is imperative to submerge me into gun fights to feel the recoil of the hand guns and the diiference between the machine guns. I need to feel like I am driving when I hit objects I want to feel the impact(vibration with dualshock).

The ctos guards are stupid to me and hacking so for feel like a gimic more than a intricate but also complicated yet simple to use tool.

Back to the driving, the police chases are downright ridiculous how they chase you down like speed demons. I don't car how well you drive and weave in and out of traffic you can't allude them. Your best bet is to get lucky andchack a barricade and even then they magically reappear to haubt you down. Now I love a challenge but the cops are a nuisance and are just not fu to deal with. It feels like you don't have control over your driving skills to avoid the cops once spotted. Also the cops repeat the same commands while chasing you down.

Ok, on to the graphics. The graphics at night are a 8/10 and daytime a 5/10. The disparity between night and day is literally night and day. The daytime color palette isms washed out and very little distinction between ps2 graphics. I mean GTA 5 graphics during the day are spectacular compared to watch dog. I mean just the fact I was able to get a used copy after 5 days from release should tell you this is far from a revolutionary next gen blockbuster.

I even thnk the explosions in GTA 5 look better and the car models are more detailed. Watch dog cars cartoonishly fall apart and wooden light poles explode into wooden compose when you drive onto it. It's laughable how far this game is to what was advertised. I will try to continue and play bit it's excruciatingly painful but essential in order to be sure it's as bad as the first few hrs.

Please answer about the vibration control on shooting etc. If this is missing from the game the game developers should be prosecuted for hacking into our gullibilie brains and our atm to fool us this game is worth $60.

coming from someone that despises internet terminology, this is the quintessential STFU post.

#11 Posted by bezza2011 (2577 posts) -

@ewalthour: Glad you finally got the game, at least you got further than me hahahaha. I think the graphics do put me off a bit, esp for a PS4 game, I'm not a graphics whore by any means but honestly the day and night thing is horrid and the car models are awful, but if i could just master the driving i think i may get further lol, I think also the problem with the game is and people will disagree is there is to much to do, at the get go, there is no enjoyment to running around, you don't have to find anything or any secrets, just like AC, everything is just right there, which makes the game for me feel a little dull.

#12 Posted by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@bezza2011: I ignored all the things to do to try to finish the story before determining by Sunday if I will return my used copy. If I keep itthen I will do side missions online. The only reason why I may keep it is because the lack of any AAA games in the next 4 months.

I wonder if any black person is insulted with a bro always beat boxing or rapping on yhe corner? I can see maybe rapping but no one beat boxes anymore. I am insulted because I am black and grew up in the best hip hop era of 80's and early 90's with real lyrics and skill vs the junk out the last decade or more.

#13 Posted by bezza2011 (2577 posts) -

@ewalthour: I agree I'm not liking much rap music anymore the stuff what's coming out if you can even call it rap it's more RnB, the 80s and 90s was by far the best, I mean the likes of Tu-pac, Nas, Easy E, NWA, even public enemy, Run DMC, even the beastie boys lol great time to be a rap fan and i aint even black lol or american lol

#14 Edited by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@bezza2011: I am a east coast guy where hip hop was originated. Rakim, public enemy, big daddy Kane, slick Rick, epmd, De la soul , jungle brothers, cool g rap, mos Def + quali, common, tribe called quest, krs one, stetasonics,the roots,guru busta rhymes leaders of the new school, chubb rock, mc lyte,monie love, queen latifah, cl smooth, brand Nubian, x clan , on and on and on.