How To Engage FAN TEST On 60 GB PS3!!!

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RED_NAVE
Member since 2004 • 238 Posts
I've seen alot of posts about people wanting the fan test for their 60 GB PS3s, and yes there is a way! Simply turn your PS3 on normally and hold it vertically with the vent side facing down. Wait 10 to 15 seconds (depending on how hot your PS3 was before) and it will begin to cycle through the fan levels to its highest while blowing any dust out of it. After 15 to 30 seconds of this, or until it warns you that your PS3 may be over-heating (It thinks it must be over-heating because why would the fans be on so high? When in fact it is just fine), just place it back down in its horizontal position and the fan will go back down to normal. I did this twice to my 60 GB, not sure if it works for 80 GB please let me know, and it certainly cleared alot of dust out. I'd say its safe to do once or twice a month without causing too much stress on the fans, and I base that on absolutely nothing. ENJOY!
RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RED_NAVE
I've seen alot of posts about people wanting the fan test for their 60 GB PS3s, and yes there is a way! Simply turn your PS3 on normally and hold it vertically in midair with the vent side facing down. Wait 10 to 15 seconds (depending on how hot your PS3 was before) and it will begin to cycle through the fan levels to its highest while blowing any dust out of it. After 15 to 30 seconds of this, or until it warns you that your PS3 may be over-heating (It thinks it must be over-heating because why would the fans be on so high? When in fact it is just fine), just place it back down in its horizontal position and the fan will go back down to normal. I did this twice to my 60 GB, not sure if it works for 80 GB please let me know, and it certainly cleared alot of dust out. I'd say its safe to do once or twice a month without causing too much stress on the fans, and I base that on absolutely nothing. ENJOY!
snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 snwboardn08
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts
can someone confirm?
Bennhoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bennhoc
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts
I tried and it worked !
Shortbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Shortbob
Member since 2007 • 1004 Posts
Cool
Beejy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Beejy
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts
Tried it, didn't work for me.
sssb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 sssb
Member since 2003 • 522 Posts
this is not true, if work why sony don't tell us in instruction from the start:?
woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts
this is not true, if work why sony don't tell us in instruction from the start:?sssb

yeah I agree, this is really strange too have all test posts about fan tests suddenly come up...
I would think Sony would at least decline to comment.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I used a vacuum cleaner with the attachments will my PS3 was on, and it got rid of all the dust, and my PS3 is running super quiet right now. I do have a 40gb system, so I dont know if it would make a difference.
RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RED_NAVE

Well I'm not sure who exactly came up with the name fan test. Maybe it was added in a firmware? Maybe its true purpose could be a heat sensor test or even just a bug that happens to clean out your PS3. All I know is that my 60 GB is now dust free, and it works just fine.

snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 snwboardn08

Well I'm not sure who exactly came up with the name fan test. Maybe it was added in a firmware? Maybe its true purpose could be a heat sensor test or even just a bug that happens to clean out your PS3. All I know is that my 60 GB is now dust free, and it works just fine.

RED_NAVE

could I make a video of it and credit you in it?

Zar_InHELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Zar_InHELL
Member since 2005 • 421 Posts

Please RED_NAVE can u post a video tutorial it will really helps us.
cuz am try ur method but nothing happened.

Video tutorial would be great.

Zar_InHELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Zar_InHELL
Member since 2005 • 421 Posts

Please RED_NAVE can u post a video tutorial it will really helps us.
cuz am try ur method but nothing happened.

Video tutorial would be Nice.

sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
[QUOTE="RED_NAVE"]

snwboardn08

I wouldn't do it. Make him make the video.

snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 snwboardn08
[QUOTE="snwboardn08"][QUOTE="RED_NAVE"]

sainraja

I wouldn't do it. Make him make the video.

no man Ive already done it. I just wanted to make sure it was ok with him that i mentioned that he came up with it.

RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RED_NAVE
I've found a guy on youtube doing it here. But he does two things I dont like in it. First he words his first sentences oddly which seemed to confuse people into thinking it voids your warranty. Second he lays it on its side rather than holding it in mid air. This prevents the dust from blowing out since the vents are blocked. If you want to make your own tutorial be my guest.
-Mopey-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Mopey-
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts
i just did it and it works! but im not sure if the fan was on full power cause i only heard it change like 3 times
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

I've found a guy on youtube doing it here. But he does two things I dont like in it. First he words his first sentences oddly which seemed to confuse people into thinking it voids your warranty. Second he lays it on its side rather than holding it in mid air. This prevents the dust from blowing out since the vents are blocked. If you want to make your own tutorial be my guest. RED_NAVE

WARNING!!

This is NOT a fan test! What you are doing is covering up the vents. This is BAD!! The reason why the PS3 is going so fast with the fan is to try and cool it off by using those vents you just covered up. I would NOT recommend trying this. It's not a good thing to do with your PS3. You are basically not allowing the PS3 to vent properly. If you do this, you could cause some damage to your system. I do NOT recommend it.

BoD_GOA_French

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 BoD_GOA_French
Member since 2006 • 971 Posts
Yes this works. I have done it twice.
lajkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lajkes
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

This is not a test it is safety so when some moran put it on the wrong side PS3 will not overheat.

anewperfectday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 anewperfectday
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts

[QUOTE="RED_NAVE"]I've found a guy on youtube doing it here. But he does two things I dont like in it. First he words his first sentences oddly which seemed to confuse people into thinking it voids your warranty. Second he lays it on its side rather than holding it in mid air. This prevents the dust from blowing out since the vents are blocked. If you want to make your own tutorial be my guest. dream431ca

WARNING!!

This is NOT a fan test! What you are doing is covering up the vents. This is BAD!! The reason why the PS3 is going so fast with the fan is to try and cool it off by using those vents you just covered up. I would NOT recommend trying this. It's not a good thing to do with your PS3. You are basically not allowing the PS3 to vent properly. If you do this, you could cause some damage to your system. I do NOT recommend it.

amen.

RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RED_NAVE
I 100% agree with you, thats why I recommend holding in on its side IN MID-AIR so that NOTHING BLOCKS THE VENTS. dont do what that guy did in the video. He almost had it right
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dream431ca

I 100% agree with you, thats why I recommend holding in on its side IN MID-AIR so that NOTHING BLOCKS THE VENTS. dont do what that guy did in the video. He almost had it rightRED_NAVE

In essence you are blocking the air vents. The hot air is going back up into the vents, not allowing proper ventilation. Whenever you hear the fan spinning that fast, you should not be doing what you did to cause it to spin that fast. It's not safe for the PS3.

snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 snwboardn08

[QUOTE="RED_NAVE"]I 100% agree with you, thats why I recommend holding in on its side IN MID-AIR so that NOTHING BLOCKS THE VENTS. dont do what that guy did in the video. He almost had it rightdream431ca

In essence you are blocking the air vents. The hot air is going back up into the vents, not allowing proper ventilation. Whenever you hear the fan spinning that fast, you should not be doing what you did to cause it to spin that fast. It's not safe for the PS3.

im not sure about that because once the fans go quicker you can tell that the air is comming out because you can feel it and tell the dust is comming out. Ill upload a video of it soon.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dream431ca
[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="RED_NAVE"]I 100% agree with you, thats why I recommend holding in on its side IN MID-AIR so that NOTHING BLOCKS THE VENTS. dont do what that guy did in the video. He almost had it rightsnwboardn08

im not sure about that because once the fans go quicker you can tell that the air is comming out because you can feel it and tell the dust is comming out. Ill upload a video of it soon.

But my point is, you shouldn't do that to your PS3. Your best bet is to vacuum the dust out with a vacuum cleaner.

snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 snwboardn08
[QUOTE="snwboardn08"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="RED_NAVE"]I 100% agree with you, thats why I recommend holding in on its side IN MID-AIR so that NOTHING BLOCKS THE VENTS. dont do what that guy did in the video. He almost had it rightdream431ca

But my point is, you shouldn't do that to your PS3. Your best bet is to vacuum the dust out with a vacuum cleaner.

ya i get your point. it is pretty wierd when it first happens tho your like dang that is loud lol.

Yng-ePIc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Yng-ePIc
Member since 2005 • 804 Posts
I'll wait for a lot more people to test it out and confirm that it works before I attempt to do it.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 DuhQbnSiLo
Member since 2007 • 622 Posts
im going to call SONY and ask if this voids my warranty
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
When did every body start getting concerned with the fans?
Avatar image for The__Punisher__
The__Punisher__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The__Punisher__
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts

so your telling me that this will screw up my 40 gig? btw the 40 gig is done a different way

Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Dante865
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

I dont think it screws up your 40GB, the guy that did it had nothing blocking his vents, he had it on a little table!

But i wouldnt try anything till there was more talks about it - And i wouldnt say it doesnt void the warranty.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
Yes this is ridiculous all your doing is overheating your PS3 which is quite dangerous (I say quite, more like very).
Can't see it voiding your warranty.

Best post by this guy;

[QUOTE="RED_NAVE"]I've found a guy on youtube doing it here. But he does two things I dont like in it. First he words his first sentences oddly which seemed to confuse people into thinking it voids your warranty. Second he lays it on its side rather than holding it in mid air. This prevents the dust from blowing out since the vents are blocked. If you want to make your own tutorial be my guest. dream431ca

WARNING!!

AndyDaMan2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AndyDaMan2k8
Member since 2008 • 124 Posts

so your telling me that this will screw up my 40 gig? btw the 40 gig is done a different way

The__Punisher__

The 40GB you hold the eject button, then switch it on at the back while keeping hold of it...then when it stops u just turn off and back on again..

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Can anyone call Sony and confirm?
moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 moshakirby
Can anyone call Sony and confirm?theycallmeryan
Nothing to confirm, overheats your PS3, makes fans blow harder.
RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RED_NAVE
It DOES NOT OVERHEAT your system, all it does it makes your fan temporarily spin at its highest level long enough to blow any dust out of it. The only reason the PS3 says it is over-heating is because it has detected that the fan is at its highest level, which it thinks is a result of being in a hot environment. You can use my method right after a cold start when it isn't even warm and still get the over-heating warning, besides, if it actually was over-heating it turns itself off as a precaution. The PS3 is truly built to last.
Avatar image for lions_rock_2008
lions_rock_2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 lions_rock_2008
Member since 2005 • 1121 Posts
i want to see a video of someone doing this...
snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 snwboardn08

i want to see a video of someone doing this...lions_rock_2008

From Crackle: PS3 60 Gig Fan Test

xXxArchSagexXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 xXxArchSagexXx
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts
I Simply use a vacuum on low power with the brush attachment...I think the instruction manual says to do that...
Flam3Thr0w3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Flam3Thr0w3r
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

Ok, for everyone wanting to see a video of somebody doing it, I am just about to make one and upload it to YouTube.

So yeh, if you are worried about doing it and want to see somebody else doing it first, wait 15 minutes or so and I'll have a video up.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 moshakirby
It DOES NOT OVERHEAT your system, all it does it makes your fan temporarily spin at its highest level long enough to blow any dust out of it. The only reason the PS3 says it is over-heating is because it has detected that the fan is at its highest level, which it thinks is a result of being in a hot environment. You can use my method right after a cold start when it isn't even warm and still get the over-heating warning, besides, if it actually was over-heating it turns itself off as a precaution. The PS3 is truly built to last.RED_NAVE

It overheats because heat can't escape out the vents (heat rises).
Fan controller monitors heat of the system, at pre-specified temperatures the fan controller will tell the system fans in the PS3 to run at different speeds (it's actually done by the voltage sent to the fans).

Stop giving out false information you will ruin everyones PS3, you clearly have no idea about what you're talking about, anyone with half a brain can tell you you're full of sh-t.
moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 moshakirby
It DOES NOT OVERHEAT your system, all it does it makes your fan temporarily spin at its highest level long enough to blow any dust out of it. The only reason the PS3 says it is over-heating is because it has detected that the fan is at its highest level, which it thinks is a result of being in a hot environment. You can use my method right after a cold start when it isn't even warm and still get the over-heating warning, besides, if it actually was over-heating it turns itself off as a precaution. The PS3 is truly built to last.RED_NAVE

It overheats because heat can't escape out the vents (heat rises).
Fan controller monitors heat of the system, at pre-specified temperatures the fan controller will tell the system fans in the PS3 to run at different speeds (it's actually done by the voltage sent to the fans).

Stop giving out false information you will ruin everyones PS3, you clearly have no idea about what you're talking about, anyone with half a brain can tell you you're full of sh-t.

What on earth do you think it is that makes the fans run at 100%?
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts

[QUOTE="lions_rock_2008"]i want to see a video of someone doing this...snwboardn08

That may clean your system but you are overheating it by doing that cause the guy's hand is covering the vent and the hot air is not circulating out at all. The hot air comes out, hits the table and goes right back into the PS3 because he it holding it so close to the table. BAD IDEA!!!

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts

[QUOTE="lions_rock_2008"]i want to see a video of someone doing this...snwboardn08

That may clean your system but you are overheating it by doing that cause the guy's hand is covering the vent and the hot air is not circulating out at all. The hot air comes out, hits the table and goes right back into the PS3 because he it holding it so close to the table. BAD IDEA!!!

RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RED_NAVE
Ok I just watched the dude from crackle, I'd recommend holding it on its sides, again so you don't block any vents, in midair (mine was a good 5 feet off the ground so nothing got sucked back in). I'm not forcing you to do anything. If you don't want to do it then fine, but if you do then just do it right. Don't block any of the vents when holding it and don't repeat too often just in case.
rosssca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rosssca
Member since 2005 • 445 Posts

Who are you? Why should your caps convince me? Are you a Sony exec?

rosssca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rosssca
Member since 2005 • 445 Posts

Ok I just watched the dude from crackle, I'd recommend holding it on its sides, again so you don't block any vents, in midair (mine was a good 5 feet off the ground so nothing got sucked back in). I'm not forcing you to do anything. If you don't want to do it then fine, but if you do then just do it right. Don't block any of the vents when holding it and don't repeat too often just in case.RED_NAVE

What is the evidence that the PS3 is clean of dust? Do you break it open and look? again..what's your proof?

RED_NAVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RED_NAVE
It may not be completely free of dust, but it is sure less dusty than it was before, I saw the years worth of dust blow out myself. I know it isn't overheating because it is simple common sense, if it was overheating it would continue to do so when you set it back down horizontally. but it then realizes that it in fact isn't overheating and goes back down to level 1 fan speed. DUH! Where's your proof that there is more dust than before or that it is melting the insides into soup?! We are both just speculating, except that I know that it made my ps3 cleaner.
snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 snwboardn08

It may not be completely free of dust, but it is sure less dusty than it was before, I saw the years worth of dust blow out myself. I know it isn't overheating because it is simple common sense, if it was overheating it would continue to do so when you set it back down horizontally. but it then realizes that it in fact isn't overheating and goes back down to level 1 fan speed. DUH! Where's your proof that there is more dust than before or that it is melting the insides into soup?! We are both just speculating, except that I know that it made my ps3 cleaner.RED_NAVE

Exactly. I am really happy that I found out about this because personally I think it works just fine and doesnt do any harm. Doesnt mean you have to do it. Im just putting my two cents in. Personally I dont think my ps3 is going to die and I think it does it some good. I wouldnt recomend doing it more than once a month but theres no reason for people to go one the defensive. Like Red and I have said you can do whatever you want were just putting information out there.