how to deactivate my ps3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 06 (932 posts) -

My PS3 is in Milwaukee, and im in Michigan right now with another PS3, I went to download a movie and its been paid for but it wont let me download it because I have another ps3 activated. So obviously i cant go to Milwaukee and deactivate the ps3 there and if i try deactivating it from here it wont let me do it, does any one know a way I can solve this, thanks

#2 Posted by thadude85 (447 posts) -

is there someone in milwaukee that you could call and have them turn it off?

#3 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
As long as your first system is logged in you can't log in with the second PS3. All you need to do is log off or turn the first system off and log into PSN with you user name and password on the second system.
#4 Posted by 06 (932 posts) -
no, no one has the keys to my house that i know in milwaukee
#5 Posted by 06 (932 posts) -

As long as your first system is logged in you can't log in with the second PS3. All you need to do is log off or turn the first system off and log into PSN with you user name and password on the second system.jimm895

The PS3 in milwaukee is off, and I logged on the ps3 here and tried to activate the ps3 under videos in account management and it says i have to diactivate my first ps3....

#6 Posted by thadude85 (447 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimm895"]As long as your first system is logged in you can't log in with the second PS3. All you need to do is log off or turn the first system off and log into PSN with you user name and password on the second system.06

The PS3 in milwaukee is off, and I logged on the ps3 here and tried to activate the ps3 under videos in account management and it says i have to diactivate my first ps3....

i am not aware of any other way to "deactive" a ps3 other than shutting it off.

#7 Posted by 06 (932 posts) -

Have you heard of the rule that you can only be activated to 5PS3s and if you activate another one, meaning you log on to a new ps3 and try to download something itl say that you need to deactivate at least one ps3, but in my case i have to deactivate my other one in order to download the movie, that is what I mean by deactivating

#8 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

Have you heard of the rule that you can only be activated to 5PS3s and if you activate another one, meaning you log on to a new ps3 and try to download something itl say that you need to deactivate at least one ps3, but in my case i have to deactivate my other one in order to download the movie, that is what I mean by deactivating

This is kinda strange seeing you have the first system turned off. You may want to call tech support and see if there is a underlying problem that we haven't seen on here. Regardless when you do figure out what's going on I hope you post it on here.

#9 Posted by OfficialBed (16782 posts) -
i really don't know what to tell ya dude
#10 Posted by 06 (932 posts) -
Well thanks everyone, ill see if i can fix this problem.
#11 Posted by ColdfireTrilogy (4911 posts) -
I think the problem here folks is that this person has too many PS3s XD jk man i really hope you figure this out.
#12 Posted by GeminiEntity (1183 posts) -

Just wondering, did the TC ever find a fix to this problem?

Cause now I am having the same problem. I recently returned my PS3 that failed and bought a new one, and yes I did the whole format system deal before returning it to the store. I am able to perform the game activation option (which is found under account management), however I am not able to perform the other video activation option, since the video option apparently linked my PSNetwork ID to my old PS3, which even the system format did not undo.

I have contacted PS3 support, hopefully they are able to unlink my old PS3.

#13 Posted by Sgt_Hale (2257 posts) -
[QUOTE="06"]

jimm895

This is kinda strange seeing you have the first system turned off. You may want to call tech support and see if there is a underlying problem that we haven't seen on here. Regardless when you do figure out what's going on I hope you post it on here.

There is an option under Account Management to Activate/Deactivate your system... that is what he is referring to. Sony must have added this to stop all of the PSN sharing that has been going on.

#14 Posted by chrisj1976 (1 posts) -

I bought my first PS3 in December 2006. Luckily, the thing tanked two days before my replacement plan ran out.

I just got a replacement PS3 after Best Buy kept my old one. I purchased a movie on PS Store and it allowed me to purchase, had no problem taking my money, and then refused to let me view the movie, stating that my account was already active on another PS3 and that I would first need to deactivate my account on the old PS3. Clearly, I do not have access to that machine. Even if I did have access, the system would no longer boot up, so getting to a menu on that machine to deactivate my account clearly would never be an option.

Ahck!! HELP!

#15 Posted by EMERlCa6969 (2142 posts) -
I just ran into the same problem today.^ I have been trying the Playstation Network website, but haven't found anything. Has anyone figured this out yet?
#16 Posted by Evildude683 (445 posts) -
no, no one has the keys to my house that i know in milwaukee06
Mail the keys to a friend man, and then have him shut the other console off....DUH!!!:o
#17 Posted by DD_2688 (1 posts) -

I bought my first PS3 in December 2006. Luckily, the thing tanked two days before my replacement plan ran out.

I just got a replacement PS3 after Best Buy kept my old one. I purchased a movie on PS Store and it allowed me to purchase, had no problem taking my money, and then refused to let me view the movie, stating that my account was already active on another PS3 and that I would first need to deactivate my account on the old PS3. Clearly, I do not have access to that machine. Even if I did have access, the system would no longer boot up, so getting to a menu on that machine to deactivate my account clearly would never be an option.

Ahck!! HELP!

chrisj1976
I'm in the same boat as you, replaced my PS3 at BestBuy due to some faulty wiring in the back and I just purchased a couple of movies and its telling me to activate this system and deactivate another PS3 system. Well I do not have that old system obviously!! Let me know if anybody finds any answers out or if anybody has been successful with this task. Oddly when I got this new system I was able to download other games I previously bought with the old system. Seems odd to me!
#18 Posted by MURDA_B (2879 posts) -

never heard this before just give sony a call

#19 Posted by Sk8ter_213 (4573 posts) -
go into the account settings, then activate/deactivate system, then deactivate your system from there.
#20 Posted by Randy_Savage (464 posts) -

I had this problem when my PS3 died and I got a new one. You have to call Sony (sorry I don't have the number on me) and speak to a rep. Then, you have to fax them written authorization to deactivate your old PS3. They will then deactivate it and send you an email confirmation. After that, you can activate your new PS3.

#21 Posted by bigburd (1281 posts) -

I had this problem when my PS3 died and I got a new one. You have to call Sony (sorry I don't have the number on me) and speak to a rep. Then, you have to fax them written authorization to deactivate your old PS3. They will then deactivate it and send you an email confirmation. After that, you can activate your new PS3.

Randy_Savage
this. Same thing happened to me, but i said screw it and made another account, easier for me since i only had bought one movie at the time.
#22 Posted by jcopp72 (5341 posts) -

Randy_Savage
yea i would try this