How not to get angry at video games?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by idk761 (3229 posts) -

I find myself getting more stress when playing online games, anyone else in this situation and how do you guys deal with it? Esepcailly with Call of Duty, I guess I am an angry videogamer

#2 Posted by BrettB7400 (3401 posts) -

I could tell you a couple of things but they're kind of illegal, so yea, I can't tell them to you.

#3 Posted by Eazy1891 (3072 posts) -

i was in this place as well...it took me breaking a 50 dollar controller to realise that i was stupid and should really lighten up a bit...now im fine....i still get mad and its cool but i dont throw crap or punch crap anymore....i mean i used to naturally get mad easily anyway.....not just because of games....but it was breaking that controller that helped tremendously with my anger issues....so i mean there isnt really a specified way to learn not to get mad unless it actually happens...try not playing for a couple of days or maybe a week...so you can chill out and think about it a little

#4 Posted by hazelnutman (9688 posts) -
I always feel the most relaxed playing video games, so I'm not really sure what to recommend except to remember that you are in fact playing a video game as a form of entertainment. There is nothing but foolish pride getting in the way of having a good time.
#5 Posted by Dogswithguns (10845 posts) -
I dont know how, but I never get angry at it.... it's just a game. so what if I die alot.
#6 Posted by kimbokasteniv (3892 posts) -
I don't think I get particularly angry when playing video games, even when dying repeatedly in MW2. I think I can stay unemotional during online games because I believe that what occurs there is worthless. As in, whenever I play a game I always realize that no matter how good I get at the game, it means nothing. It really is pretty useless to be in the top 1000 or better in MW2 or any game. Whatever skill you gain at playing a game basically doesn't exist, since as soon as that game gets old and looses popularity, all the time you invested in your skill at that game disappears. And even while that game is popular, there is a very small circle of people who could care that you have any skill at that game. In other words, I don't mind that someone else out there is ridiculously better at something which in real life is useless.
#7 Posted by Furi-Kun (10903 posts) -

I'm angry at Siren: New Translation because I don't think I can beat it.

#8 Posted by megapikachu101 (1386 posts) -

i don't know why but i only get angry at certain things, like i don't care if i get owned in wipeout hd online, but god damn does burnout paradise piss me off!

#9 Posted by marcl18123 (2022 posts) -
There are only 2 way to not get angry at video games.
1. Don't play them. 2. Drink while playing them.
#10 Posted by DethSkematik (3900 posts) -
When a certain game is pissing me off for a while, I just take a smoke break. For all you non-smokers, I suggest relaxing with a cold drink and a movie ;).
#11 Posted by Kruiz_Bathory (2107 posts) -

I'm angry at Siren: New Translation because I don't think I can beat it.

Furi-Kun
yeah same here, the gameplay is strange and it is a good survival horror game
#12 Posted by rahul_batta (1363 posts) -
I find myself frustrated. If I am getting owned online or in game, I just quit, and do something else. Come back to it later with a better frame of mind...
#13 Posted by GrandJury (15396 posts) -
I think all of us have been guilty of getting angry at video games at one point. The pure frustration of being belittled by a game or even worst the little 12 year old kid who you just can't beat. At the end of the day you just need to remember that it is just a game. You win some you lose some there are more important things out there.
#14 Posted by Lantern-Cusp (739 posts) -

I find myself getting more stress when playing online games, anyone else in this situation and how do you guys deal with it? Esepcailly with Call of Duty, I guess I am an angry videogamer

idk761

grab a plate, go outside and chunk it :P

#15 Posted by Scianix-Black (19295 posts) -

Lower your own expectations and try not to take the game so seriously.

#16 Posted by Shoooryuken (969 posts) -
Play for fun. Not to win.
#17 Posted by M0wen10 (7555 posts) -

I get frustrated easily on games like COD multiplayer, when I keep getting killed by noobs using LMG, and shooting randomly

#18 Posted by Rhen_Var (12422 posts) -
Stop playing online multiplayer and try co-op modes or singleplayer. Seriously, online multiplayer is a pain in the ass.
#19 Posted by M0wen10 (7555 posts) -

Stop playing online multiplayer and try co-op modes or singleplayer. Seriously, online multiplayer is a pain in the ass.Rhen_Var

Only if your not very good, or you come across cheats ;)

#20 Posted by hazelnutman (9688 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"]Stop playing online multiplayer and try co-op modes or singleplayer. Seriously, online multiplayer is a pain in the ass.

lol, and just a few months ago, you were a huge Battlefield fan :lol: Did someone break up with you in the middle of a competitive match or something?
#21 Posted by Symphonycometh (9592 posts) -
I've never been so angry that it calls for alarm. Sorry.
#22 Posted by Rhen_Var (12422 posts) -
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Rhen_Var"]Stop playing online multiplayer and try co-op modes or singleplayer. Seriously, online multiplayer is a pain in the ass.

lol, and just a few months ago, you were a huge Battlefield fan :lol: Did someone break up with you in the middle of a competitive match or something?

Battlefield is the exception. I've always loved that game, always will.
#23 Posted by hazelnutman (9688 posts) -

[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Rhen_Var"]Stop playing online multiplayer and try co-op modes or singleplayer. Seriously, online multiplayer is a pain in the ass.Rhen_Var

That's the Rhen I know (and love)!

#24 Posted by Rhen_Var (12422 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"] lol, and just a few months ago, you were a huge Battlefield fan :lol: Did someone break up with you in the middle of a competitive match or something?hazelnutman

On another note, Battlefield Heroes sucks, don't even try it =/
#25 Posted by hazelnutman (9688 posts) -
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]

[QUOTE="Rhen_Var"] Battlefield is the exception. I've always loved that game, always will.Rhen_Var

On another note, Battlefield Heroes sucks, don't even try it =/

lol, too late. Already did. Already hated it. It's a game trying to be Team Fortress 2 with Battlefield's name slapped on it.
#26 Posted by lahdeedah (357 posts) -
I just play for fun. Occasionally I'll swear if I start going 0/10 in multiplayer. lol
#27 Posted by felixlynch777 (1787 posts) -

After punching my door after dying in Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 for the 20th time on hardest difficultyand making my hand bleed very badly I learnt my lesson and never get angry with games anymore.If you're feeling frustrated go get a glass of water and have a break for a couple of minutes and remember it's just a videogame no need beating yourself up over it.

#28 Posted by LuffyPSP (14 posts) -
I usually angry when playing Fifa only. Especially when on cup ties. others, hmm i quit the game first and come back again next time...
#29 Posted by oajlu (2648 posts) -

lol go see a psychiatrist andtake anger managerment

#30 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -

Same crap happens to me in madden nfl 08 when my team fumbles for the 4th time straight i just throw my controller on the bed.

#31 Posted by brummydude (298 posts) -
just try co-op games like left 4 dead rather than competitive games like COD or FIFA - These games make me mad when im loosing or have crap kills/deaths ratio. It's a shame because I dont have as much fun so I wish i could change my mind set. Left 4 dead on the other hand i have so much fun seen as its just working together to survive
#32 Posted by DeadlyWormy (373 posts) -

I don't know what to say really. I don't try to take games to seriously and relax and have fun at the same time. Of course there will be times where I will get a little angry, due to the game being crazy hard, or I get a bad team or teammate online. :P

#33 Posted by Sokol4ever (6306 posts) -

I'm not very good to be competitive online, especially with shooters, however I still enjoy playing online once in a while.

If you're getting angry and stressed out over the games you play, it would be a good advise to stop playing for few days if not more, or simply don't play games that make you angry. ;)

#34 Posted by ismo2009 (212 posts) -

Ok,im an angry boy...if you want to pwnd noobs like Jeremy from PP. Then you need to think positive,if you get angry think positive. If you get mad at COD you will always die,relax and be optimist. Seriously i owned too many people today with this instructions ;)

#35 Posted by ChrisMoneyMaker (251 posts) -
im a laid back dude so im always relax hehe
#36 Posted by portej (645 posts) -

1) Turn off console

2) Walk away from console, slowly

3) Take a deep breath

4) Go to your kitchen get a drink of cold water

5) Remember, its just a video game, life is way too short to get angry over a video game

#37 Posted by idk761 (3229 posts) -
[QUOTE="brummydude"]just try co-op games like left 4 dead rather than competitive games like COD or FIFA - These games make me mad when im loosing or have crap kills/deaths ratio. It's a shame because I dont have as much fun so I wish i could change my mind set. Left 4 dead on the other hand i have so much fun seen as its just working together to survive

I agree, I've played L4D and RSV2 and not once did I get upset when playing online coop.
#38 Posted by iRecoil (198 posts) -

After raging everytime I play online FPS with my 512k internet connection, I've learned that I should calm the **** down and enjoy myself :).

#39 Posted by IPwnNooBs666 (1422 posts) -

I used to get angry playing certain games but as I got older I realize it's just entertainment and it's not worth the effort to get worked up over it anymore. I play to get entertained. A positive frame of my mind can get you so very far, IMO.

#40 Posted by zbdyx (2055 posts) -
Hit a pillow or something soft that way you don't hurt yourself, but get anger out. I would always hit my controller till I hurt my hand, lol
#41 Posted by Zidaneski (8482 posts) -

I can usually stay calm and laugh at my mistakes but when online and getting constantly owned it does upset me somewhat especially if I know I can't do much about it (playing Uncharted, 2 on 5 plunder) But Uncharted actually patched it to end the match quicker if teams are uneven so its actually pretty relaxing now. Other than that I only get upset when playing Pinball. It is so annoying having the ball go right in the gutter when there was no mistake on your part.

#42 Posted by Scorpion13497 (775 posts) -

I usually don't get pissed at games but there are a few exceptions (Demon's Souls....). I usually take a break, or switch to a different game for a little. For example, the other day I was playing Uncharted 2 trying to get past Chapter 22 on Hard, and was getting destroyed. So I stopped and quit at the checkpoint, and played Everyday Shooter for a little (that game always calms me down). When I felt better and not so stressed, I switched back over to give it another shot.

So just do something for half an hour that relaxes you. Read a book, play a casual game, come on Gamespot, whatever helps you. Then get back on and try again :)

#43 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Try a single-player game. I generally find online games much more frustrating because of a bad connection, bad luck, or other annoying things human opponents will do.

#44 Posted by KzJoe (626 posts) -

Try Demons Souls on the hardest difficulty

#45 Posted by oakie86 (90 posts) -

I stop playing a game and play something else till I get back into a relaxed mood about it, (aka Demons Souls for the time being.) I don't play multiplayer, multiplayer online to me is like driving in rush hour. Everyone sucks at it and acts selfishly. My brother used to get bad Halo-rage. I secretly cut the internet whenever it got bad until he calmed down. Usually the internet being "down" made him angrier though. :P

#46 Posted by yentlequible (2621 posts) -

i don't know why but i only get angry at certain things, like i don't care if i get owned in wipeout hd online, but god damn does burnout paradise piss me off!

megapikachu101
Its those stupid cars that always turn right into you instead of away, isn't it? those really piss me off when i play!
#47 Posted by Denji (12757 posts) -

I only get angry when things don't work properly or are poorly programmed. Aside from that, I don't get mad if I lose against someone else. But I do get frustrated by a cheap, spaming AI. Like one of those "god boss" characters for example. Especially for fighting games. Or "perfect AI" that never makes a mistake and can pull off feats that are completely impossible for the player.

#48 Posted by Matth1325 (2 posts) -

I get really angry playing online games. So I just don't play them anymore...

#49 Posted by rahul_batta (1363 posts) -
Playing "Takedown" on Veteran is making me very angry -.- I decided to jump from regular to Veteran for the trophies lol. I hated this level on normal, but on Veteran. I'm pretty lucky there isn't a controller through my TV right now...
#50 Posted by MrGanny (2911 posts) -

Imagine being this guy. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XW2X1hXOoo&feature=related

WARNING: He drops lots of F bombs.