How much of Black Flag is riding ships?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by rubber-chicken (2067 posts) -

I'm interested in getting Black Flag... I hated the parts in AC3 where you ride a ship, and from the gameplay videos I've seen of Black Flag, there seems to be a lot of it again. When I think of an AC game, I think of stealth and platforming. The ship riding/battling really takes away from that for me. I heard that a lot of the ship riding/battling is optional, is this true? I'd want to do as little of it as possible.

#2 Edited by Jaysonguy (37568 posts) -

The good parts

Once you go to an island you can quick travel there from that point forward

Then you have to do the ehhh, other stuff

#3 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70789 posts) -

depends on how much you want it to be. It's about 30 - 40% if you just play it normally

#4 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -

It's about 60% land and 40% sea. That is who Edward Kenway is lol he's a pirate. There's no 'frontier' like in Assassins creed 3 where you can just roam around in the jungles and woods. To be honest I like this game quite a lot, was a bit skeptical at first, but plundering ships is awesome.

#5 Edited by puddinghead101 (153 posts) -

I just think if your not going to invest some time in the ship battles and ocean exploration then maybe a AC game based mostly around pirates is something you should not buy. I mean the classic assassins creed activities are really played down in this one and quite a few story missions involve using your ship.

Ubisoft went in a different direction and maybe that's something not in tune with what you want and while I can relate to wanting some of the older mechanics back I enjoyed this one a lot so maybe take a chance on it.

Sorry but if there's pirates there's probably ships too.

#6 Posted by TheTenth10 (3041 posts) -

I explored just about any island I could find, 55 hours and I'd say under 30% ship

#7 Posted by bezza2011 (2388 posts) -

I'm interested in getting Black Flag... I hated the parts in AC3 where you ride a ship, and from the gameplay videos I've seen of Black Flag, there seems to be a lot of it again. When I think of an AC game, I think of stealth and platforming. The ship riding/battling really takes away from that for me. I heard that a lot of the ship riding/battling is optional, is this true? I'd want to do as little of it as possible.

Well considering it is probably the worst stealth franchise i have ever played which markets the game as such, seeing as the only way to be stealth is in tall grass, because running behind them wildly doesn't do anything and the platforming is a basic hold button down push analog stick up lol, good luck, AC4 is probably thee best AC game there has been and yet it's still so repetitive the ship part is the best bit.

#8 Posted by jcopp72 (5335 posts) -

Black Flag integrates the ships into the game a lot better than AC3. In AC3 they forced the ships onto you, in Black Flag the ships are a part of the story and main gameplay.

#9 Posted by Bigboi500 (29373 posts) -

If that's how you feel about it you should probably avoid the game all together.

#10 Posted by SgtSutton (329 posts) -

I was hesitant about the ships/sailing as well. But it is lots of fun. I think that the stealth is better than in AC3, and the sailing is an added element of fun.

#11 Edited by DigiTM64 (110 posts) -

The ship battles are the best. You do get sick of the same cutscenes when you board and pillage a ship though. And when you do get tired of ship pillages, then go for land and do some traditional Assassin Creed killing. It's the best of both worlds.