how long does it take to update???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hsj_gamer (177 posts) -

i just got as ps3 and its updating and it seems to be taking a while, how long does an update usually take?thanks for the help guys

#2 Posted by thegame1980 (2194 posts) -
I just got my PS3 yesterday and it took about 8 minutes to download the update.
#3 Posted by sizzlingdviper (1815 posts) -
Varies-sometimes 5-10mins,sometimes 20mins
#4 Posted by untouchables111 (949 posts) -
well this really depends on two things you connection and how big the update is. the last update took me less then five min to dl, which 1 u dling
#5 Posted by newfg311 (816 posts) -
When I first got my PS3 and downloaded the first update, it took about 20 minutes, but all the updates after that have taken less than 5 minutes to download and install.
#6 Posted by ParadiseAwaits (1410 posts) -

The last update seriously took me 2 hours. I don't know why. It just did.

Anyways.....I'm not complaining.

Once you get the update your set. Sony does not update that often, but when they do it's always something amazing. :)

#7 Posted by insane_metalist (6349 posts) -
about 10 mins
#8 Posted by moej88 (783 posts) -

It really depends onyour connection speed and how big is the update.

If you gotyour PS3 recently and took 20 min to updatethat is because there was so much to update onso the size was kind of big.

After ayourfirst update it should take 5-10 min to update but again its based on the speed of ur Internet and ur connection.

#9 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
I just got my PS3 yesterday and it took about 8 minutes to download the update.thegame1980
Wow that's fast! It takes me 30 min to 45 min.
#10 Posted by EmperorSupreme (7661 posts) -
The last update was a big one because of the Blu-ray 1.1 update. The smaller updates go faster.
#11 Posted by the_new_neo (1030 posts) -
I udated mine yesterday. Around 10 mins I'd say.
#12 Posted by thegame1980 (2194 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegame1980"]I just got my PS3 yesterday and it took about 8 minutes to download the update.Chaos_Bladez

Really? I was pulling my hair out while waiting. It also took like 5 minutes to download the Uncharted demo.

#13 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"][QUOTE="thegame1980"]I just got my PS3 yesterday and it took about 8 minutes to download the update.thegame1980

Really? I was pulling my hair out while waiting. It also took like 5 minutes to download the Uncharted demo.

Wow, that demo took about 8 hours for me! :O
#14 Posted by Rasskal33 (238 posts) -

Okay, I'm a brand new ps3 owner and I have to update to 2.30. I downloaded it and it said that it would restart my ps3 when the update was complete. The ps3 is still on but... not. The screen is black, I can't turn it off or anything. Is this the updating process or what?

#15 Posted by LtColJaxson (3234 posts) -

It depends whats in the update. But usually 5-10 minutes.

But I guess if you just got a PS3, it depends what firmware was on there when you got it. If it is a really early version - it has to update a lot of stuff, so it would take longer. It depends on your internet connection speed in the end.

#16 Posted by Rasskal33 (238 posts) -
My screen has been black and ps3 inactive (i think) for at least about 30 minutes now. Does the ps3 update while it "appears" to be off? The green light is still on but I'm at black screen.
#17 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
It takes about 15 to 20 minutes for me including the install of the update. But the big thing is how good the internet service is and how busy the server is. But then if people are going to the F@H site then it basicly never finishes because as soon as your system completes a unit it uploads that unit and downloads another unit to run.
#18 Posted by dewmandew7 (4152 posts) -

The last update was a big one because of the Blu-ray 1.1 update. The smaller updates go faster.EmperorSupreme

You mean Blu-ray 2.0. ;) I doubt that really required that much space on the HDD. They really just had to allow the software or whatever to enable certain features on the discs.

#19 Posted by Rasskal33 (238 posts) -
Okay, so its been updating for at least 4 hours now and I am sick of waiting. I'm thinking about flipping the power switch in the back and just resetting it that way cuz this is ridiculous. I have a broadband connection and it shouldn't be taking this long. I'm still at a completely black screen but the green light on the front is on. When a update is complete is the restarting of the console supposed to take a long time or not?
#20 Posted by Bloodseeker23 (8338 posts) -

Okay, so its been updating for at least 4 hours now and I am sick of waiting. I'm thinking about flipping the power switch in the back and just resetting it that way cuz this is ridiculous. I have a broadband connection and it shouldn't be taking this long. I'm still at a completely black screen but the green light on the front is on. When a update is complete is the restarting of the console supposed to take a long time or not?Rasskal33

Patience my friend, don't waste those 4 hours of dling you did. It's worth the wait anyways =]

#21 Posted by Rasskal33 (238 posts) -
Okay, so this is in fact how the ps3 updates. It downloads the file and then resets the system and while the update is being installed the screen is black but the green light is still on? And when the download is finished, it brings up the menu again?
#22 Posted by skylinenissan (158 posts) -

before comecast..... like 2-3 hours >_

#23 Posted by Rasskal33 (238 posts) -
Can someone please just tell me if what I am experiencing is normal or not? This is my first day owning a ps3 and I'm already contemplating returning it if this thing is fubar.
#24 Posted by Rasskal33 (238 posts) -
Would it be safe on my ps3 to just reset it manually and try again or would it fry the system?
#25 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
It may take a while for the first update if it had a old firmware. If it doesn't restart then you would be better off calling Sony's tech support.
#26 Posted by jay_rock_ (1720 posts) -

It depends whats in the update. But usually 5-10 minutes.

But I guess if you just got a PS3, it depends what firmware was on there when you got it. If it is a really early version - it has to update a lot of stuff, so it would take longer. It depends on your internet connection speed in the end.

LtColJaxson
Same here....
#27 Posted by recorps (2 posts) -
I set mine up the other day and connected it to the internet. im doing an update from 1.3-2.7 is this a major update or minor??
#28 Posted by Brad127 (2 posts) -
Okay i bought my ps3 last weekend and started playing resident evil 5 i finally got the internet cord to reach the ps3 and i started up the game and it asked me if i wanted to update to 2.00. so i selected O.K. And its been at a black screen with little sparkle things for like 17 hours now i have roadrunner so i dont see why its takeing so long what should i do?
#29 Posted by clr84651 (5515 posts) -

From the time it starts until the time it ends. Exactly that long. It's different depending on the update and a person's ISP and how well it's set up.

#30 Posted by clr84651 (5515 posts) -

Okay i bought my ps3 last weekend and started playing resident evil 5 i finally got the internet cord to reach the ps3 and i started up the game and it asked me if i wanted to update to 2.00. so i selected O.K. And its been at a black screen with little sparkle things for like 17 hours now i have roadrunner so i dont see why its takeing so long what should i do?Brad127

That's way too long. Something's not working right.

#31 Posted by SILVER_X_AMMO (157 posts) -

it depends how fast ur internet

#32 Posted by EquestrianGirl (1 posts) -

I got Assassin's Creed 2 today, and my PS3 said it had to do a update. Its claiming to take 2 hours, and I have a very fast internet connection. Its already at 20%, but I'm worried that I might be downloading something that I'm not supposed to be? And why is it taking so long???

#33 Posted by 50-45FTW (23 posts) -
Way too long you should've gotten a wii ;)
#34 Posted by znunner (1 posts) -
yeah i got my ps3 today. i got connected and all and started the latest update. it went through it fast then at 39 it said i lost connection/ i have a wire connection. so wtf.
#35 Posted by hyatt002 (1 posts) -
hi i just turned on my ps3 and the update has been taking place for about 1 hour now so how long does it take before i can go online???
#36 Posted by djseebee (338 posts) -

after i bought it i took me from 30 to 45 mins of updating

#37 Posted by J-Man725 (6786 posts) -

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious: for those of you who are claiming 5-10 minute download times, how much do you pay monthly for your internet service and who is your provider?

I supposedly have broadband high speed internet, but it regularly takes me hours on end to update the ps3 and a full day of downloading to get demos. But now, seeing your guys' download speeds I can see that clearly....something is amiss.

#38 Posted by Donniebeast (9 posts) -
depends. usually aroudn 10 or 20 mins
#39 Posted by Hekynn (2164 posts) -
It depends on your ISP sometimes it would take me at least 8-15 minutes to download the update.
#40 Posted by Donniebeast (9 posts) -

after i bought it i took me from 30 to 45 mins of updating

djseebee
that long? wow, that must stink big time.