pathofneo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By pathofneo99
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts

I asked this in the Xbox thread, so I'll ask it here too. This will effect millions when they decide to pull the plug on the great PSN service for PS3. How long do you think they'll keep the service up, and do you think they will disable their 2 console limit per account thing before shutting down so we have more chance of preserving the stuff we paid for? What's your opinion?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Tomorrow.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Probably not for a long time - maybe when they stop selling them, but I would think a bit after that

RayCSmooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 RayCSmooth
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Yea, I can still see it going on for a while still.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

It's user base is huge, so I think it won't be for a while because there are alot of people who buy games and movies from the PSN.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Until Sony stops making PS3 and PS3 games..... It won't be for a long time. There is just too much money to lose from PS3 gamers if they were to shut it down early.

pathofneo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#7 pathofneo99
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts

Okay, and what about all the PSN games I paid for.. will they be gone forever? I know it's inevitable for them to close it down but how is all the unique and exclusive content going to be preserved?

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

@raugutcon said:

Tomorrow.

lol thats exactly what i was going to say

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@pathofneo99: in your PS3 hard drive. Time to upgrade that thing pal.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

When it stops making them money probably. I don't think it'll happen any time soon though.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Not for a very long time.

alanissak320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By alanissak320
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

@pathofneo99: not till mid life on ps4 maybe even later

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

@pathofneo99: Sony will be somewhat patient with this. unfortunately the GAMES SERVICES already have shut down at a blazingly fast rate. So while PSN might be "up" on the PS3, 95% of PS3 games won't have online features like they used to, very very soon.

MercilessJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MercilessJoker
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I do not see Sony shutting down the PSN for the PS3 anytime soon.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Like everyone else has said, it'll be quite a while. One -big- difference between the PS3 generation of consoles versus the earlier generations didn't have as many revenue streams to support the cost of running the servers. Whereas keeping servers up for PS2 games was just a drain on resources of the game companies because in most cases they didn't earn any money from those games after their initial sale, the PS3 network is supported by digital game sales, microtransaction, DLC, and the optional subscription fees. It's also backed by the fact that PSN is just one network supporting both PS3 and PS4 so as long as one console is making enough money to support the network then there's probably little incentive for them to not support the other. In fact, I'd be surprised if the bulk of the revenue coming into PSN isn't still coming from the PS3 based on its much more established user base (meaning that the PS3 is probably supporting paying for the network for the PS4) and it'll probably be that way for a long time.

-Byshop

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

@Byshop said:

. One -big- difference between the PS3 generation of consoles versus the earlier generations didn't have as many revenue streams to support the cost of running the servers. Whereas keeping servers up for PS2 games was just a drain on resources of the game companies because in most cases they didn't earn any money from those games after their initial sale, the PS3 network is supported by digital game sales, microtransaction, DLC, and the optional subscription fees

-Byshop

Ironically even tho DLC and MTs open up possible revenue, they have to "pay to play" on the PSN. It cost money to do business on the PSN for developers. So even tho there is a potential stream, EA and others shut them down on the PS3 quick and often.

Wikipedia has a sunset list, it's very depressing. Although it was more sad on the PS2 for sure (better games, great online features, CLASSICs like SOCOM 2 or Everquest)

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Don't know but the PS3 PSN Store been down since the last two weeks.. ?!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Expane said:

@Byshop said:

. One -big- difference between the PS3 generation of consoles versus the earlier generations didn't have as many revenue streams to support the cost of running the servers. Whereas keeping servers up for PS2 games was just a drain on resources of the game companies because in most cases they didn't earn any money from those games after their initial sale, the PS3 network is supported by digital game sales, microtransaction, DLC, and the optional subscription fees

-Byshop

Ironically even tho DLC and MTs open up possible revenue, they have to "pay to play" on the PSN. It cost money to do business on the PSN for developers. So even tho there is a potential stream, EA and others shut them down on the PS3 quick and often.

Wikipedia has a sunset list, it's very depressing. Although it was more sad on the PS2 for sure (better games, great online features, CLASSICs like SOCOM 2 or Everquest)

Well, there are two parts to that though. There's the PSN network itself, and the individual hosted and matchmaking servers that the individual game developers have to maintain. Individual titles get their servers shut down all the time (especially EA games) but that's different from the OP's question of the "PS3" section of the PSN being turned off, which will likely not happen for a very long time.

-Byshop

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Dogswithguns said:

Don't know but the PS3 PSN Store been down since the last two weeks.. ?!

Nope just you