How Long Before PS3 games Skyrocket in Price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

A question more for those who lived through the end of previous playstation' lives, in your experiences how long should we expect before most PS3 games go out of print and the prices balloon? I expect digital distribution should affect this somewhat as well.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Depends on the game I guess, but I doubt any of them will be worth a fortune in the future to come.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

With digital distribution I doubt very many will ever be priced that high.

Certain discs will and of course collector's editions because of the physical items but overall it's not going to be that big of a pool.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I don't think they will go up in price any time soon, maybe after the PS5 comes out.

I have quite a few games, but even then, the trade in value is nothing.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Postosuchus: that's not going to happen because of digital games

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

How Long Before PS3 games Skyrocket in Price?

In a decade, and not all and won´t "skyrocket", only very few will be worth more than what they cost now.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#7 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

@Postosuchus: Unopened mint physical copies may be worth something in 20 or 30 years time. More so if DVD/Blu-ray becomes obsolete but not any time soon.

You can still buy PS1 games for relatively cheap. They haven't ballooned at all so second handers on PS3 probably won't ever balloon in price.

chaos__shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chaos__shadow
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

@Dannystaples14 said:

@Postosuchus: Unopened mint physical copies may be worth something in 20 or 30 years time. More so if DVD/Blu-ray becomes obsolete but not any time soon.

You can still buy PS1 games for relatively cheap. They haven't ballooned at all so second handers on PS3 probably won't ever balloon in price.

This is inaccurate, or rather just untrue.

Search for games like Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean Second Story, Vanguard Bandits or Team Buddies. Depends on the game. If you want to play John Madden 2000 then no, the price of that particular game has not and will never balloon. But other games have and will. There will always be cult games that companies/publishers don't feel have garnered enough attention to digitalize..... until everything is digital. But until then, there will always be "ballooning."

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#9 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

@chaos__shadow: Yeah cult classics might be but the majority of games aren't cult classics. It is hardly balooning if only a small minority of the games are actually going up in price by any noticeable amount.

You can buy tonnes of PS1 games from Amazon right now for between £10 - £20. Many for even less.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Probably will mostly be RPG's or if there is one of those that either some really like or hate that didn't sell enough and becomes rare.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@chaos__shadow said:

@Dannystaples14 said:

This is inaccurate, or rather just untrue.

Search for games like Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean Second Story, Vanguard Bandits or Team Buddies. Depends on the game. If you want to play John Madden 2000 then no, the price of that particular game has not and will never balloon. But other games have and will. There will always be cult games that companies/publishers don't feel have garnered enough attention to digitalize..... until everything is digital. But until then, there will always be "ballooning."

No, just no

You're bringing up games that are launch were hard to find and had people paying more than the minimum for them, to say those went higher is being disingenuous at best.

chaos__shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chaos__shadow
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

@Dannystaples14: Very true. The OP may have said "most," but i'm under the impression that's not what he meant since no other system has had "most" of their games balloon in price. So I assumed he meant select games like previous Playstation systems. Assumptions are dangerous however.

@Jaysonguy: Not sure where you got that nonsense from. No idea what this "minimum" value is supposed to be either. I acquired the physical disc version of every one of those games for much less than their MSRP and estimated retail value long after the game had run it's course. I specifically remember buying Star Ocean Second Story and another game together for $20 - NOT from a private seller. Team Buddies for a few bucks as well. Good luck getting the physical disc of that game now. So uh.... Yes, just yes.