how does ps3 look on an older tube tv?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
^^topic...

ive been really wanting a ps3 for a while now and almost have the money, but the thing is not i dont have an hdtv and ive heard a lot of mixed responses of it being played and a standard def tube tv, i have a decent 32" sharp tube tv made in 2001 with just basic composite cables inputs, no component, but i think it looks pretty nice, and does great for all my systems from previous gens

can i get some input from anyone that still uses an older tube tv?
inthered2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inthered2
Member since 2004 • 1156 Posts

Well I played for the first few months on an old tube tv that was made in 1996. I did not mind it at all until it died. That was when I bought myself a newer one and noticed that the my tv was cutting off things to make it fit the screen.

When GTAIV would be loading I always thought it was just two guys playing dominos instead of three with my old tv. Its not bad but I do bet yours will do the same.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
it looks nice, just some text in games can be hard to read, but obviously you won't be able to beat how it looks on a hdtv.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I played on a fairly good tube TV with component inputs when I first got my PS3. It was ok. Definitely a noticeable improvement, but text and such displayed in game is extremely difficult to read on a tube tv. Forget about reading anything on the PDA in GTA4...
AC__DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AC__DC
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

actually thats not bad..

on my firstr month i played on an old tube TV the grphics is ok but theres a huge diffrent between AVI to HDMI

save money for HD TV and play with the TV uve got for now..

ReDeYeRaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReDeYeRaver
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

I'm using a 36" Samsung from 1993(or something around then)...Looks great but I'd suggest spending the few bucks to get the S-Video cable to connect it to your TV. You get an immediate, visible increase in fidelity than over the RCA cables. Better colors, better interlacing/progressive-scan.

ReDeYeRaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReDeYeRaver
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

I'm using a 36" Samsung from 1993(or something around then)...Looks great but I'd suggest spending the few bucks to get the S-Video cable to connect it to your TV. You get an immediate, visible increase in fidelity than over the RCA cables. Better colors, better interlacing/progressive-scan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
The screen looks too wide, especially when I played Midnight the map wouldn't fit. Other than that, it's okay.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts
not nearly as bad as people make out. to be honest, it is fine. You dont get the sharpness of an HDTV, but it still looks great. also, you dont have to worry about jaggy graphics, as SD just smooths it over.
hm360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 hm360
Member since 2007 • 269 Posts

Quite bad actually. I have a Sanyo 21" from way back, I don't remember when I got it.

The text is really hard to read so you need to sit quite close to the screen. The graphics don't show to be that special either (not too sharp, rather blurry)