How does Metal Gear Solid 4 stand up today?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

How does it stand up visually and in terms of game play?

I'm particularly interested in playing it as a stealth game, rather than a shooter too.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

One of the best games I've played this gen, despite long cutscenes. If you're a fan of the series and enjoy the story, ignore any picky criticisms and definitely give it a shot.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

people who criticise it's long cutscene are not real mgs fans

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#4 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

One of the best games I've played this gen, despite long cutscenes. If you're a fan of the series and enjoy the story, ignore any picky criticisms and definitely give it a shot.

HipHopBeats
I have never played a MGS game before!
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HipHopBeats

hippiesanta

The lengthy cutscenes didn't bother me at all since I thought they were well done but it is a common complaint from many who dislike MGS4.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

biggest_loser

In that case, you might want to start with MGS from the PSN store and then get the HD collection or look it up on wiki or youtube first. Otherwise, you won't have a clue to what's going on story wise starting from MGS4.As for the gameplay, the stealth mechanics are pretty good.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hippiesanta

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]

HipHopBeats

The lengthy cutscenes didn't bother me at all since I thought they were well done but it is a common complaint from many who dislike MGS4.

to me MGS4 is way better than 1,2,3 in term of gameplay and spectacular graphic and jaw dropping action sequence that incooperate wt gameplay..... and the control is easier to handle ala uncharted rather than the old skool point of view as in MGS1 and 2
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]

hippiesanta

to me MGS4 is way better than 1,2,3 in term of gameplay and spectacular graphic and jaw dropping action sequence that incooperate wt gameplay..... and the control is easier to handle ala uncharted rather than the old skool point of view as in MGS1 and 2

MGS > MGS4 > MGS3 > MGS2 is how I would rank them. That Shadow Moses level in MGS4 had me nostalgic for a MGS remake based on what Kojima recreated in that level. True MGS4 has better gameplay and cinematics, but nothing beats being on a real suicide mission deep within an enemy base fighting for survival. Plus the boss fights in MGS were epic. Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, Liquid, unpredictable plot twists, the perfect action game even to this day.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hippiesanta
yup... almost forget about psycho mantis... that was long time ago ...... but nothing beats Peacewalker for it's RPG-ness
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Here is an honest review of the 'game', it shows how it stood up in 2008 and stands up in 2012.

http://au.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/user-reviews/790668/platform/ps3/

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

biggest_loser

I never played a MGS game before MGS4 back in 08, and I loved it. The story is complicated, but you'll get the basics of it. I replayed MGS4 again 2 months ago (for the 12th time) and its still hard to find other games that compare to it. The game is actually much deeper than it looks too. Everything holds up very well, it doesnt feel like a 4+ year old game at all.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
same here
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

HipHopBeats
same here
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

hippiesanta

I suppose you know what a real fan is right?

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#15 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It's a great game, though nothing special (imo!)

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

It's a great game still. Just don't expect an Uncharted-level of action, if you can appreciate the story and not qq over some well-done cutscenes it's magnificent.

adam1808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 adam1808
Member since 2009 • 264 Posts

It's not the most intuitive or responsive game regardless of whether you're playing it stealthily or as a shooter. It's still a great action game but a lot was done between MGS3 and 4 to make it play like a modern game. There are some long load times and the cutscenes can be extremely overbearing if you're not invested in Kojima's hokey story, but it still looks decent and its set-pieces are some of the best on the PS3.

JogsterXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JogsterXL
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts
I'd say it stands up damn well, still one of the best, if not the best.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hippiesanta

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]

rwallacefan

I suppose you know what a real fan is right?

unlike you ... yup.... you r right
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Better than mostly everything else.

bkong0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bkong0
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Still stands up fine. The gameplay elements are really enjoyable and yeah sure the cutscenes are long but they tie the story together and they're entertaining.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

its a quality game. i played through a couple times and always enjoyed it. the stealth is hard to master but awesome when u can pull it off. and its a great story epic. not gonna spoil anything but it had some of the best ending sequences ive seen in any game. definately one of my favourites this gen. if you don't mind the long cutscenes (which are pretty awesome anyway) u should get it.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

It still looks and plays better than some modern nowadays stuff.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

People who criticised the MGS 4 cutscenes were either xfans or people who never played MGS games before and weren't fans of the series.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

People who criticised the MGS 4 cutscenes were either xfans or people who never played MGS games before and weren't fans of the series.

clr84651
Or maybe they just didn't like watching hour long cutscenes and would have preferred more gameplay over it. Personally, I like the cutscenes, but I think it's a legitimate complaint if someone else thinks they're too long.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

What I didn't like about MGS4 was that it pretty much dropped Stealth for Run and Gun for about 85% of the game. There are just too many chapters focused on AI Drones, active battlefields, and Corridor Shooting Events. MGS3 had a much better balance.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Visually, the game is still spectacular. Gameplay still stands up extremely well. The only issue that really crops up, and was always an issue was the convoluted story and extremely long cutscenes. For me I didnt mind long cutscenes so that wasnt a problem. Still a fantastic game all around!
H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts

What I didn't like about MGS4 was that it pretty much dropped Stealth for Run and Gun for about 85% of the game. There are just too many chapters focused on AI Drones, active battlefields, and Corridor Shooting Events. MGS3 had a much better balance.

Threesixtyci
But stealth was still encouraged and I'm sure there's a trophy for not killing anyone. Still my best game on PS3, uncharted series comes second.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]

H_M_1

But stealth was still encouraged and I'm sure there's a trophy for not killing anyone. Still my best game on PS3, uncharted series comes second.

And the Big Boss Emblem, no kills, no alerts, no health items used and in under 5 hours played through without dieing either on max difficulty. The ultimate Stealth Challenge.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
There is a difference between fun and pure torture. My gripe is that the drone aspect of the game (which was about 35% of it) was only fun if you want to run and gun. And about another 30% it made little sense to even bother with stealth. If the rebels saw you helping them outside of a disguise, they treated you as an ally..... So, it made little sense to even bother disguising yourself as a Rebel, when it was much easier to blow up a tank in view of one and have them instantly treat you as an ally that way. And what' was fun about sneaking around some hairball looking dones.... or Cows sounding ones.... Easier just to kill them and have the game still treat it as a non-kill. As for no alerts, you had to save up on Chaff, and use the Chaff in key sections.... that's not fun.... MGS3 had a better mission structure. MGS4 went mainstream like everything else this generation....
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Here is an honest review of the 'game', it shows how it stood up in 2008 and stands up in 2012.

http://au.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/user-reviews/790668/platform/ps3/

RageQuitter69

I agree to a degree. In general, if you're thinking of stealth games and shooting games (OR hybrids!), MGS4 is not great at ANYTHING. In fact:

in terms of stealth: mark of ninja>splintercell conviction = splintercell chaos theory> MGS4
in terms of 3rd person shooting: every 3rd person shooter>MGS4

in terms of hybrid action: deus ex>dishonored>MGS4.

Recall, most of those games achieved (and deserved) their 8.5+ scores. MGS4 is simply below them, and out of general gameplay and FUN, i would rate MGS4 ~8.0.

MGS2 is simply the best playing of the series, and MGS3 the best story (alongside MGS1).

Now, if you're gonna play them in order, I would actually play the series in order of release: MGS1 (or get twin snakes for Gamecube if you can, which is an upgraded version of MGS1), MGS2, MGS3, MGS4.

And, to answer your question, I would say MGS4, GTA4, and to a slight degree, MarioGalaxy 2, are all overrated (no game really deserves a perfect score, especially those games, which, upon release, had a lot of hype that OBVIOUSLY influenced reviewers' opinions of the game). On that side note, I would rate GTA4 about a 8.5 or 9, and mario galaxy 9 or 9.5. And, like i said before, MGS4 is about an 8.

H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 H_M_1

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

glitch2424

I agree to a degree. In general, if you're thinking of stealth games and shooting games (OR hybrids!), MGS4 is not great at ANYTHING. In fact:

in terms of stealth: mark of ninja>splintercell conviction = splintercell chaos theory> MGS4
in terms of 3rd person shooting: every 3rd person shooter>MGS4

in terms of hybrid action: deus ex>dishonored>MGS4.

Recall, most of those games achieved (and deserved) their 8.5+ scores. MGS4 is simply below them, and out of general gameplay and FUN, i would rate MGS4 ~8.0.

MGS2 is simply the best playing of the series, and MGS3 the best story (alongside MGS1).

Now, if you're gonna play them in order, I would actually play the series in order of release: MGS1 (or get twin snakes for Gamecube if you can, which is an upgraded version of MGS1), MGS2, MGS3, MGS4.

And, to answer your question, I would say MGS4, GTA4, and to a slight degree, MarioGalaxy 2, are all overrated (no game really deserves a perfect score, especially those games, which, upon release, had a lot of hype that OBVIOUSLY influenced reviewers' opinions of the game). On that side note, I would rate GTA4 about a 8.5 or 9, and mario galaxy 9 or 9.5. And, like i said before, MGS4 is about an 8.

I have to respectfully disagree. These games do deserve the best scores. The devs have taken their time with these games to deliver a masterpiece, much better than COD which is recycled every year with a few tweaks and then it gets a good score. I'd rather play a game where a genuine effort has gone in to make it. So I expect GTAV to get a top score.
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 glitch2424

But I HAVE given them highscores! But if anyone is being honest with themselves, they'd realize a game has to be absolutely PERFECT to be a 10. I deducted a bit from GTA4 b/c it does get repetitive and boring (good story, but same old mission structure - Cover mechanics and shooting felt good), and I deducted a bit from SMG2 b/c it simply lacked world cohesion and lacked exploration (which is weird, b/c all 3d mario games before the galaxy series had you explore the worlds, not go thru a linear level design, which the former could've made the game more fun).

I totally agree with your opinion though, that games given more effort should PROBABLY be given higher scores. But that's not always the case. The reason why COD series is so popular (especially with me, who only likes the infiinity ward games - not the treyarch games) is b/c they're FUN! And isn't that why we play games? I rate everything b/c of fun. I personally think it's good for players to realize what KIND of fun they're having, since you can have temporary cinematic fun (ie, uncharted), or real geniune fun, which usually occurs in multiplayer games that can create a riot with a group of people. There's also good single player fun, such as the elderscroll series, paper mario, or even some puzzle games.

Syriamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Syriamn
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

How does it stand up visually and in terms of game play?

I'm particularly interested in playing it as a stealth game, rather than a shooter too.

biggest_loser
You absolutely should not miss it!!! Play it as a stelth or as a shhoter do what you will but just don't miss it!!! A true classic and even the long cutscenes make sense!!!
faycerol3media

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 faycerol3media
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I am playing it right now actually. It's still great. The real sinker is that you can find it for $10. A classic at that price is well worth checking out.
H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 H_M_1

But I HAVE given them highscores! But if anyone is being honest with themselves, they'd realize a game has to be absolutely PERFECT to be a 10. I deducted a bit from GTA4 b/c it does get repetitive and boring (good story, but same old mission structure - Cover mechanics and shooting felt good), and I deducted a bit from SMG2 b/c it simply lacked world cohesion and lacked exploration (which is weird, b/c all 3d mario games before the galaxy series had you explore the worlds, not go thru a linear level design, which the former could've made the game more fun).

I totally agree with your opinion though, that games given more effort should PROBABLY be given higher scores. But that's not always the case. The reason why COD series is so popular (especially with me, who only likes the infiinity ward games - not the treyarch games) is b/c they're FUN! And isn't that why we play games? I rate everything b/c of fun. I personally think it's good for players to realize what KIND of fun they're having, since you can have temporary cinematic fun (ie, uncharted), or real geniune fun, which usually occurs in multiplayer games that can create a riot with a group of people. There's also good single player fun, such as the elderscroll series, paper mario, or even some puzzle games.

glitch2424
Ahaha that's true friend, I will agree that a game does need to be perfect for a ten, but I guess it's one of those things where we say 'hang on, how do I know what's perfect?' We all have different takes on 'perfect'. GTA, MGS, Mario, Uncharted etc are games which most gamers enjoy, so maybe they're perfect? But then the gamer next door thinks these games suck, so what is perfect for him/her? Anyway, MGS4 was for me anyway 'perfect' I'm a fan of the mgs series as it is. I need to pick up the hd collection sometime.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Still one of the best games of this generation. No doubt. I played and reviewed it a few months ago because of the trophy patch.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I say the gameplay is enjoyable enough and the graphics are still good. but cutscenes make up way too big a portion of the game and honestly alot of them are painful to watch because of melodramatic dialogue and alot of the characters are really annoying.

I'd say get it if its cheap, but since you're new to the series you're probably better off getting the MGS collection. MGS3's game mechanics and graphics might not be as good as 4 but it's waaay better.

glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 glitch2424

[QUOTE="glitch2424"]

H_M_1

Ahaha that's true friend, I will agree that a game does need to be perfect for a ten, but I guess it's one of those things where we say 'hang on, how do I know what's perfect?' We all have different takes on 'perfect'. GTA, MGS, Mario, Uncharted etc are games which most gamers enjoy, so maybe they're perfect? But then the gamer next door thinks these games suck, so what is perfect for him/her? Anyway, MGS4 was for me anyway 'perfect' I'm a fan of the mgs series as it is. I need to pick up the hd collection sometime.

Ahh, I see where you're coming from. I keep forgetting it's also in the eyes of the beholder, really.

I'd recommend the collection 100% - a good friend of mine actually bought it for my birthday. Judging from reviews from other collections, it's probably the best collection out there. It is somewhat incomplete though, b/c it totally lacks MGS1. Still, MGS1 can be obtained thru...*ahem*, other means.

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

quite well. It is one of the best games on the PS3. I enjoyed all three playthrus of that game, and I look forward to the fourth playthru.