How do i play ps2 games on my ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XxABIHxX (307 posts) -
i have a 160gb ps3
#2 Posted by DeathTemplar (172 posts) -
Download a thing from the PS store.
#3 Posted by CanadianCR (3824 posts) -

i have a 160gb ps3XxABIHxX

The new ones can't .. you can still play PS1 games I believe ..

#4 Posted by Leons-Hell (296 posts) -
I'm reasonably certain that the new versons of the Playstation 3 are not backwards compatible even with a software upgrade. Could be wrong.
#5 Posted by DeathTemplar (172 posts) -
I know forsure the software upgrade in the PS store doesn't work on mine cause it was originally a 40gb, but it might work on the others....maybe
#6 Posted by CanadianCR (3824 posts) -

I know forsure the software upgrade in the PS store doesn't work on mine cause it was originally a 40gb, but it might work on the others....maybeDeathTemplar

What? There is no software update on the PSN to allow your PS3 to play PS2 games ..

#7 Posted by DeathTemplar (172 posts) -
yes there is, it is labled PS2 play data or something like that.
#8 Posted by jakarai (4289 posts) -
yes there is, it is labled PS2 play data or something like that.DeathTemplar
LOL no man there is not. only PS3s that can play PS2 games are the launch 20gb and 60gb units, the MGS 4 80gb bundled units, and the 80gb PS3s they made earlier this year. Newer 40gb, 80gb and 160gb PS3s cannot play PS2 games.
#9 Posted by CanadianCR (3824 posts) -

That isn't for the ability to play PS2 games .. or these boards would have about five million threads about it already ..

#10 Posted by DeathTemplar (172 posts) -

well what is the add on for then, and i know the 40 and on doesn't play them, as i posted before. i'm gonna track it down and see what it says.

EDIT: I tracked it down and yes i was right and the add on exsists, and yes you were all right, it is for those systems that can play PS2 titles, for those games that requires a HDD install.

#11 Posted by wizdom (10066 posts) -
New PS3's can't play ps2 games
#12 Posted by Nitrostriker (4 posts) -
I believe that if you have a friend download his emulater package onto a flash drive and you install it on your ps3 it might work. I'm still working on gettting my friend to allow me to download his emulator to my 80gb to see if it'll work.
#13 Posted by ShadowBass989 (1734 posts) -
put the disc in the system
#14 Posted by Nitrostriker (4 posts) -
put the disc in the systemShadowBass989
ummmm it's not compatable... wow
#15 Posted by CanadianCR (3824 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowBass989"]put the disc in the systemNitrostriker

It's called a joke .. and a great one at that ..

#16 Posted by ShadowBass989 (1734 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowBass989"]put the disc in the systemNitrostriker

u could still put it in there. never said it would play. get an original 60 GB, 20 GB, MGS4 80GB. did everyone sell their ps2s when they got a ps3. hell i kept saying that it better have BC when i first got my ps3 and i havent touched a ps2 game since i got one back in december of 06.
#17 Posted by Jayvan_JJ (1044 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nitrostriker"][QUOTE="ShadowBass989"]put the disc in the systemShadowBass989

u could still put it in there. never said it would play. get an original 60 GB, 20 GB, MGS4 80GB. did everyone sell their ps2s when they got a ps3. hell i kept saying that it better have BC when i first got my ps3 and i havent touched a ps2 game since i got one back in december of 06.

@Shadow....hey check your mail
#18 Posted by iCondemned (25 posts) -
Forget about the PS2 games. Just play the PS3 games, or switch over to the PS2 System, and play the PS2 games from there.
#19 Posted by PrinceofSarcasm (1743 posts) -

thats so b/c ps3s can play ps2 games that use a hardrive

#20 Posted by PrinceofSarcasm (1743 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nitrostriker"][QUOTE="ShadowBass989"]put the disc in the systemShadowBass989

or motorstorm 80gb

#21 Posted by PrinceofSarcasm (1743 posts) -

just wondering how is it possible for a lv 15 not know that new 80gs and 160gb ps3s dont play ps2 games.

#22 Posted by CanadianCR (3824 posts) -

[QUOTE="XxABIHxX"]i have a 160gb ps3PrinceofSarcasm

just wondering how is it possible for a lv 15 not know that new 80gs and 160gb ps3s dont play ps2 games.

Facepalm ..

#23 Posted by ShadowBass989 (1734 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowBass989"][QUOTE="Nitrostriker"] ummmm it's not compatable... wowJayvan_JJ

or motorstorm 80gb

ahh yes i forgot bout the motorstorm 80 GB bundle.

#24 Posted by ShadowBass989 (1734 posts) -
o yeah jayvan_JJ, check your mail.
#25 Posted by Raider8784 (121 posts) -
I just got an 80 GB system it's not compatable either but thankfully I still got my Slim and it works just fine... if you wanna play PS2 games that badly Im sure you can find a cheap used one at gamestop or somethin
#26 Posted by ShadowBass989 (1734 posts) -
I just got an 80 GB system it's not compatable either but thankfully I still got my Slim and it works just fine... if you wanna play PS2 games that badly Im sure you can find a cheap used one at gamestop or somethin Raider8784
yeah, a new one is only $130 too.
#27 Posted by XxABIHxX (307 posts) -

[QUOTE="XxABIHxX"]i have a 160gb ps3PrinceofSarcasm

cause ive never had or looked up a ps3 :P
#28 Posted by masterhalo43 (257 posts) -

i got one that came out the first year and it can automatically play ps2 games. i still have god of war,resident evil and kingdom hearts.

#30 Posted by ianuilliam (4955 posts) -

[QUOTE="PrinceofSarcasm"]

[QUOTE="XxABIHxX"]i have a 160gb ps3XxABIHxX

cause ive never had or looked up a ps3 :P

Read the box. I guarantee that the box your PS3 comes in says somewhere on it something like "Not compatible with PS2 software." In fact, I think it's even on the front of the 160gb box.