How can I gift games via PSN?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20021 posts) -

I bought my first PSN game recently (Battlefield 1943) and I am loving it. I am a staunch supporter of digital distribution as the concept is right up my alley. I have bought several games on GOG and Steam in the past, both of which have an option that allows you to gift a game or games to friends simply by inserting their user name or email address. I have used that option before when amazing sales were on that simply couldn't be missed and it was easy as pie. I am admittedly no veteran when it comes to PSN but I simply couldn't spy an option that allows you to gift games to people on your friends list.

The point of this thread is to tell me how to gift games via PSN and if that is not possible, how many of you would like such an option to be available on PSN? It seems to be a pretty standard feature when it comes to digital distribution and Sony obviously wishes to go that route to some extent. They have to continue appeasing physical retailers, however, but allowing a gift option surely wouldn't affect physical retailers that much, especially since the vast majority of full games are not available via PSN yet anyway.

#2 Posted by 4NGoods (1025 posts) -
Cant say i prefer DD as opposed to physical media but i have purchased several items off PSN. Gifting games over psn sounds like a great idea actually. Not sure it's currently possible on psn now but having that option does sound like a good idea. As it stands now, i think your only option is to just buy your friend a psn card.
#3 Posted by KaY_86 (280 posts) -
send a PSN card :P
#4 Posted by Conjuration (3538 posts) -

I also wish we could gift downloadable games to friends.

I'll always support physical media first. But for cheap-o games (say $10 and under, maybe $15 for something extrordinary) dowloading will always be around in my home. Physical media is #1. If that ever goes away, so will I.

#5 Posted by evilmaster2424 (2060 posts) -
nope there is no gifting on psn. thats something sony should add though....itll prly be one of those crappy thing they add to ps+
#6 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20021 posts) -

Cant say i prefer DD as opposed to physical media but i have purchased several items off PSN. Gifting games over psn sounds like a great idea actually. Not sure it's currently possible on psn now but having that option does sound like a good idea. As it stands now, i think your only option is to just buy your friend a psn card. 4NGoods
Buying PSN cards is not as instantaneous, however, and it gives my friends some leeway as to what they choose from PSN. We don't want that now, do we? Taking a quick look on Amazon seems to indicate that you can only get PSN cards worth certain values as well. I appreciate the suggestion, however.

#7 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

You can also buy PSN codes off amazon.com, US only though.

#8 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20021 posts) -

nope there is no gifting on psn. thats something sony should add though....itll prly be one of those crappy thing they add to ps+evilmaster2424
Gifting games is a source of income so adding it to a service like PlayStation Plus that requires a fee already would greatly limit the amount of people that would utilise the gifting option.