Hitman Absolution?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#1 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I already made a post in the dedicated stickied thread, but no answers so here it goes.

I am looking to either get Hitman Absolution or Dishonored. I think I know enough about Dishonored, but how good is hitman. I read a few times that the stealth and costumes in hitman dont work well. But is the game a good stealth game, with a decent enough story, and decent enough gameplay?

Mind you Hitman is $25 and Dishonored is still $50.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i played Hitman through, and i liked it. It's only hard because you may have to do several tries to do the "sneaky" tries
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

I already made a post in the dedicated stickied thread, but no answers so here it goes.

I am looking to either get Hitman Absolution or Dishonored. I think I know enough about Dishonored, but how good is hitman. I read a few times that the stealth and costumes in hitman dont work well. But is the game a good stealth game, with a decent enough story, and decent enough gameplay?

Mind you Hitman is $25 and Dishonored is still $50.

ristactionjakso
My answer is buy neither.
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

$25 for hitman is great deal. I paid $39.99 and it was well worth it.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I have both.

I enjoyed dishonord way more. It feels like something new and fresh.

Hitman is still a good game mind you, but Dishonord is slightly better in my opinon.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

well i haven't played dishonored but i heard it is an extremely short game, like only 4 hours or something? i dont know about you, but i would never pay $50 for a game that i can finish in one sitting. plus i can't stand a first person view unless it's something like COD or halo multiplayer.

hitman however has a pretty good length, so if you're looking for bang for your buck id say hitman is the way to go, especially if you're a perfectionist and keep restarting checkpoints. great stealthy gameplay and lots of options to how you want to play.

the thing i didn't like though were the environments, except for a few of the levels. i mean cmon, you're playing as the richest, most skilled professional assassin in the world and for the majority of the game you're going through dirty hick towns filled with mindless rednecks and dirty sewers. i expected a lot more from the game to be honest, still a good game though but i did end up selling it cuz i knew i wasn't going to replay it.

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts
I haven't played dishonored but Hitman is definitely a great game. It has big emphasis on stealth but still provides other methods to carry out missions. The game has a high replayability value and rewards you for trying different approaches each time. Stealth works well in the game but it can be challenging (in a good way) so it would probably take a few tries before finishing a level.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I got Dishonored on sale for $25 during Black Friday (have taken the wrapper off yet) so I doubt I will be disappointed by the length. Bought Hitman Absolution the week of release and returned it unopened after hearing some mixed/bad stuff. I will buy it again when it drops to about $20, which will be soon. Wasn't worth $60 though.

So I have owned both, but the played neither. I'm sure I helped you a lot! :lol: But yeah both are worth a buy for $30 are less...

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StrongBlackVine

I like dishonored more. However I would wait for a price drop. Its great but not worth the full price. 

koolyoe

You can get Dishonored NEW for $25 or less now. eBay...

glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

If you're looking for stealth runs, hitman absolution is your game.

I found Dishonored to be really dissappointing - after you get over the novelty of the "blink" and "stop time" mechanic, it just becomes super stale. And, you NEVER, EVER believe in this "world" they try to create for you - it's simply not immersive. Also, the previously mentioned powers made the game super easy (I played the game on hard the first time thru - it was easy, and made the game feel very bland/lacking tension). Hitman, however, is SO strong in atmosphere (visuals, audio design, and setting are one of the best of 2012). Where Dishonored beats Hitman is in the game mechanics - Dishonored did absolutely nothing wrong, while the game mechanic logic in hitman can be accused of being flawed. Still, I had such a great time with hitman b/c I WAS immersed in this world - it's gritty, it's cold, and it's fun, AND you DO feel like an actual veteran assassin. When I was playing dishonored, I never felt immersed, and I never felt like a "super-natural" assassin - you're given no feedback of your personality, and you're given your powers literally out of the blue and with no good reason why you deserve these powers  (this is not a spoiler, don't worry). The only feedback of your character profile is that a little girl looks up to you (for no real good reason, apparently) and that a bunch of desperate rebels rely on you to overthrow the empire.

So there you have it - immersiveness in hitman, or very sound gameplay design in dishonored. Honestly, I usually value gameplay the most, but if a game doesn't get you out of the context of playing a game and if it's not fun - it's not a good game. Dishonored fails at this, and this is where hitman shines, which makes it AT LEAST 3 times more memorable than dishonored - again, for me. Those accusing hitman of the flawed gameplay mechanics are pretty much everyone tho, but most of the complaints are from fans of the series who are obvioiusly very vocal of their frustration. As long as you can accept the logic of the game mechancis, you'll have a good time. I'm new to the series, and hitman is my favourite stealth game this generation besides Mark of Ninja. Do yourself a favour and buy hitman.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I played both. IMO, Hitman: Absolution was worth playing, but Dishonored is the kind of great game that really sucks you in and makes you want to stay up all night playing.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrongBlackVine

I played both. IMO, Hitman: Absolution was worth playing, but Dishonored is the kind of great game that really sucks you in and makes you want to stay up all night playing.

DaRq_MiNoS

Really even though people say it only takes 4 hours to beat? I think these games that beat the game that fast must be rushing through though.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#14 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Hitman Absolution was my favorite game of last year.  Absolution is different from Bloody Money especially the disguise system in Absolution is easier to be spotted in a disguise and you have to make sure Agent 47 doesn't get too close to the guards or looks directly at them otherwise you'll be seen through your disguise.  I enjoyed it and and you have different ways of elminating your targets.  I don't really get why people hate Absolution and Contracts mode is interesting.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#15 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Hitman: Absolution and Dishonored are both excellent games, and each get a 9/10 in my opinion. The stealth in Hitman is great, and the disguise system is really good, didn't find any problems with it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I have both.

I enjoyed dishonord way more. It feels like something new and fresh.

Hitman is still a good game mind you, but Dishonord is slightly better in my opinon.

marcheegsr

i haven't played dishonored yet i might give it a try.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ristactionjakso

Hmm, sounds like a mixed bag. Hitman and Dishonored are probably both good games, but I think I'll go with Hitman first since it is only 25$. Ill buy Dishonored when it goes down in price.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BH14

Hmm, sounds like a mixed bag. Hitman and Dishonored are probably both good games, but I think I'll go with Hitman first since it is only 25$. Ill buy Dishonored when it goes down in price.

ristactionjakso

New hitman absolution for $25? Who is selling that?

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

BH14

At my local Gamestop. Dishonored is still $50 there.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrongBlackVine

BH14

Hitman can easily be found for around $25. Luckily I got Dishonored for $25 brand new like a month after release! I could sell it on eBay now to make a profit, but I plan to unwrap and play it some day.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="BH14"]

ristactionjakso

You should stop buying games at Gamestop...well used games anyway.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BH14

Hitman can easily be found for around $25. Luckily I got Dishonored for $25 brand new like a month after release! I could sell it on eBay now to make a profit, but I plan to unwrap and play it some day.

StrongBlackVine

GameStop is selling it for $29.99 (new) $27.99 (used), Amazon $29.99, Newegg $59.99 (i got it for $39.99), toys r us $59.99, ebay +$30.... I saw it at $25 a while ago but it was a amazon gold box deal for short time.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

ristactionjakso
i would say it's a good choice, a little practice and you will get good in that game
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ristactionjakso

The_Last_Ride

i would say it's a good choice, a little practice and you will get good in that game

Well, I've watched a few youtube vids. It seems there are a lot of creative ways to kill a target. And seems more of a stealth game than Dishonored too. I like the looks of the game and the contracts mode too. A lot of gameplay there.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="BH14"]

StrongBlackVine

You should stop buying games at Gamestop...well used games anyway.

Nah. If a game is really good and the devs need/deserve the support, I will buy them new. I plan on buying Hitman new for $30 at Gamestop because it seems like a underrated good game. 

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

ristactionjakso

Well, I've watched a few youtube vids. It seems there are a lot of creative ways to kill a target. And seems more of a stealth game than Dishonored too. I like the looks of the game and the contracts mode too. A lot of gameplay there.

Dishonored is more of an Adventure/Stealth game, you can choose not to kill anyone, but in Hitman you can't. You need to find creative ways to get passed and kill your target. The hardest ones are the kills that look like accidents
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] i would say it's a good choice, a little practice and you will get good in that gameThe_Last_Ride

Dishonored is more of an Adventure/Stealth game, you can choose not to kill anyone, but in Hitman you can't. You need to find creative ways to get passed and kill your target. The hardest ones are the kills that look like accidents

Ya, I'm just in a stealth type of mood. The accident missions sounds cool and challenging. Dishonored seems more on the action side of things with all the powers and what not. Doesn't seem like a bad game, I would just be tempted to action it up in Dishonored instead of stealth.

cool5845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 cool5845
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts

Haven't played Dishonored but I have completed Absolution and it's amazing. Hitman Absolution is a fantastic game, get it.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ristactionjakso

Haven't played Dishonored but I have completed Absolution and it's amazing. Hitman Absolution is a fantastic game, get it.

cool5845

Ya, I hear a lot of good things about it. I'm going to buy Hitman first. 

One thing. Can you make your own contracts for your friends to try vice versa?

LeBump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 LeBump
Member since 2013 • 85 Posts

Hitmans a good game, its hard only if you want to be sneaky.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

[QUOTE="cool5845"]

ristactionjakso

Ya, I hear a lot of good things about it. I'm going to buy Hitman first. 

One thing. Can you make your own contracts for your friends to try vice versa?

yeah you can. good choice on getting hitman. i dont care how good a game is, i could never justify paying $50 for a 4 hour game...hell i wouldn't even pay 20
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]Well, I've watched a few youtube vids. It seems there are a lot of creative ways to kill a target. And seems more of a stealth game than Dishonored too. I like the looks of the game and the contracts mode too. A lot of gameplay there.

ristactionjakso

Ya, I'm just in a stealth type of mood. The accident missions sounds cool and challenging. Dishonored seems more on the action side of things with all the powers and what not. Doesn't seem like a bad game, I would just be tempted to action it up in Dishonored instead of stealth.

i would warn you if you don't want the levels to fail completely you need to be patient and be ready to fail a few times. Also the last so called hit has to be done carefully, because they consist of several levels.
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ristactionjakso

So I bought it and enjoying it a lot. The game is bringing the ocd out in me, even when I don't have ocd. It's a challenge doing missions cleanly, especially the ones out in public. It takes a ton of patience and you need to learn the target's route's before making any decisions (if you like playing it with a clean mission)

But ya, I can see myself playing this game a lot because of the "challenges" the game gives you. There are always more than 1 way to kill a target and you are encouraged to complete them all to get upgrades and what not. Great unique game worth anyone's time.

How is Blood Money HD remake? Are the controls similar?