Help My PS3 wont turn off

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RahXephon101 (501 posts) -

My Ps3 is not turning off. Its turned on with the green light, i press the power button and theres no response. Should i turn the main power off, or will that mess up my Ps3.

Sorry thought I should mention my brother was palying the Ps3 and when he went to turn it off it didn't work.......when i looked at it, i noticed the HDMI cable was unplugged, if he did that while it was turned on would thacasue this problem.

#2 Posted by Zarlyn (1322 posts) -
it shouldn't. I've never had that problem, but it shouldn't hurt it.
#3 Posted by woofie13 (841 posts) -
it won't screw you over unless you're in the middle of installing an update
#4 Posted by aaron6581230 (2133 posts) -
Try turning it off with the controller
#5 Posted by LtColJaxson (3234 posts) -

NEVER TURN YOUR PS3 OFF AT THE BACK OF THE SYSTEM!!! NEVER~

THIS WILL BRICK YOUR PS3.

Hold down the power button at the front of the PS3 for 10 seconds, it will beep a few times and force shutdown.

DO NOT SHUT IT OFF VIA THE MAIN POWER SWITCH!!!

#6 Posted by RahXephon101 (501 posts) -

Hold down the power button at the front of the PS3 for 10 seconds, it will beep a few times and force shutdown.

LtColJaxson

Thank you so much. It wrked, that was so weird, I hope it doesn't happen again. I had a feeling using the back power supply would brick it. Thanks again

#7 Posted by LtColJaxson (3234 posts) -
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

RahXephon101

Thank you so much. It wrked, that was so weird, I hope it doesn't happen again. I had a feeling using the back power supply would brick it. Thanks again

No problem, thats all you have to do when the PS3 freezes. Same as computers, you hold down the power button.

BTW: If you ever need to reset display settings to a specific TV (say when you switch from HDTV to SDTV or if for some reason you have no picture), hold down the power button on the front of the PS3 when turning it on to reset display settings.

#8 Posted by AnthonyLuu (665 posts) -

LtColJaxson

so what would happen if there was a power surge while the ps3 is on? im guessing it'll get bricked?

#9 Posted by LtColJaxson (3234 posts) -
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

AnthonyLuu

so what would happen if there was a power surge while the ps3 is on? im guessing it'll get bricked?

Actually mine has lasted through a few for some reason. I have a surge protector though, but mine has lasted through powerouts.

But you are not supposed to shut it off from the back switch, I know it has broken PS3s for a few users on this forum - and it warns of this in the manual.

I don't know what the difference is between a powerout and the backswitch, but I assume the PS3 has some internal power to safely shut off. My PC has some internal power that lasts about 5 seconds so it shuts off slowly and safely.

#10 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

LtColJaxson

I have to agree with you completely on the never turning the main power switch off. As for as it not shutting down if there is something being downloaded or installing in the background just leave it alone for a while (maybe overnight) and then try. Also if the HDMI cable is pulled out usually just reinstalling/replugging the cable you should be fine.

#11 Posted by KH-mixerX (5703 posts) -

LtColJaxson

Let me add a bit more emphasis to that:

NEVER EVER TURN YOUR PS3 OFF AT THE BACK OF THE SYSTEM!!!! YOUR SYSTEM WILL SUFFER DYER CONSEQUENCES. IT WILL DESTROY YOUR SYSTEM.

I learned this lesson the hard way.

#12 Posted by SOedipus (6754 posts) -
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

AnthonyLuu

He exaggerated. There's a chance a power surge would do that, same with turning off the PS3 from the back. I mean you could turn the PS3 off from the back if you felt like it, it's just that there's a chance the system may malfuction.

#13 Posted by bdhoff (4104 posts) -
Think about this for a minute. Why would Sony put a switch on the back of the console if turning it off was going to brick it?
#14 Posted by Shaun373 (953 posts) -
So that after you turn off via the power button on the front if you aren't going to be using it for a while you can kill the power to the system so that you don't add kilowatt hours to your electric bill. Same as the PS2.
#15 Posted by angelic (435 posts) -
so is there by any chance you can use the back switch of the PS3? why is it there in the first place when it can cause trouble?
#16 Posted by gamenux (5308 posts) -
SLEDGEHAMMER or the FOOT. Use the switch in the back when it does not seem to be loading.
#17 Posted by yonnex (1265 posts) -

The switch on the back is actually there so you can turn your PS3 off all together so its not even in standby mode. I do this generally if i wont be home for a few days.

It states in the manual if you turn the PS3 off via the backswitch while its actually on it can damage the system!

#18 Posted by ccy3005 (368 posts) -
ive turned it off from the back at least 10 times..when a game would freeze up.... and it still works... so its not intirely true.... although i dont doubt it could cause damage...
#19 Posted by angelic (435 posts) -
well thats good for people who read manuals first. ^_^
#20 Posted by mmofnbs (352 posts) -

Think about this for a minute. Why would Sony put a switch on the back of the console if turning it off was going to brick it?bdhoff

It's the same with computers, it's always better for the computer to shut it down. Holding the power button is to set it into stand by mode and the switch is to kill power entirely. Eventually the switching off and on will kill the HDD.

#21 Posted by LeeSan420 (451 posts) -
i had a power surge and it froze on me once and i didnt know about holding the power button down, my ps3 works fine still
#22 Posted by brandojones (3103 posts) -

LtColJaxson

LOL, are you kidding?! :lol::roll:

#23 Posted by somesthetic (3344 posts) -

it specifically says in the manual that turning the PS3 on at any point will cause it to explode and shoot razor blades.

the main power switch on the back of the system will NEVER brick the system.

#24 Posted by philip6k (502 posts) -

My Ps3 is not turning off. Its turned on with the green light, i press the power button and theres no response. Should i turn the main power off, or will that mess up my Ps3.

Sorry thought I should mention my brother was palying the Ps3 and when he went to turn it off it didn't work.......when i looked at it, i noticed the HDMI cable was unplugged, if he did that while it was turned on would thacasue this problem.

RahXephon101

lmao nothin is wrong, you dont just press the power button to turn it off like you do turn it on, you have to hold it for like 10 seconds

read the manual

#25 Posted by BrendanLee13 (61 posts) -

yooo wtf does brick mean????

and if u turn off the PS3 while ur on the menu and not playing and turn it off from the back switch will it mess up/??

#26 Posted by Chaos_KnightX (308 posts) -

Bricking is a term taken from the PSP firmware updates where tampering with the power during update, or even installing one of the earlier custom firmwares, would kill the psp, making it unuseable with the same function of a brick (same shape, and doesnt do much)

And from what i can gather, turning your power of from the mains can cause a similar destruction upon the ps3

#27 Posted by iwilson1296 (2197 posts) -
it's probably running too hot, so it won't power off until it cools off a bit, poor some cold water on it and that should work.
#28 Posted by AlwaysRight1190 (1 posts) -
well when my ps3 woudnt turn off, I held the power button for 10 secounds, But when that didnt work i pulled the plug out of the main power for 2 secounds thenn plugged it back in and then i worked
#29 Posted by donte610 (1 posts) -
my slim wont turn off and i tryed to reset it.
#30 Posted by looser235 (1 posts) -
Hi,I have a problem whif my ps3 it wont turn off,it is not reading the remot or the tv(O,my sister [4 years 1 month 21 days old]went when i was outside AND UNPLUK MY MAIN POWER PLUK when it was still on)and now it is broken.Kan now one help me
#31 Posted by The-Apostle (12063 posts) -
[QUOTE="AnthonyLuu"][QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

LtColJaxson

Actually mine has lasted through a few for some reason. I have a surge protector though, but mine has lasted through powerouts.

But you are not supposed to shut it off from the back switch, I know it has broken PS3s for a few users on this forum - and it warns of this in the manual.

I don't know what the difference is between a powerout and the backswitch, but I assume the PS3 has some internal power to safely shut off. My PC has some internal power that lasts about 5 seconds so it shuts off slowly and safely.

I've had to do that a few times and never had a problem. >_>
#32 Posted by ziggyww (833 posts) -
Hold you power button for 5secs and it will turn itself off normally with 3 beeps
#33 Posted by ziggyww (833 posts) -
well when my ps3 woudnt turn off, I held the power button for 10 secounds, But when that didnt work i pulled the plug out of the main power for 2 secounds thenn plugged it back in and then i workedAlwaysRight1190
For 10 you sure I only have to do it for five and it works like what happens if you hold down the power button on a desktop or laptop
#34 Posted by leenarko (2 posts) -

hey bro, im using 320gb slim ps3 (Which i made 500gb later by changing the HDD), my ps3 isnt turning off too!
I tried by controller (Ps button>turn of system) or (In XMB Menu turn of ps3) but it didnt work!!
I even held down power button also but no avail!
What'll I Do ???
One machanic says, its due to problems of harddisk!!! Is it ????
Pls suggest & help me!!!

#35 Posted by leenarko (2 posts) -

hey bro, im using 320gb slim ps3 (Which i made 500gb later by changing the HDD), my ps3 isnt turning off too!
I tried by controller (Ps button>turn of system) or (In XMB Menu turn of ps3) but it didnt work!!
I even held down power button also but no avail!
What'll I Do ???
One machanic says, its due to problems of harddisk!!! Is it ????
Pls suggest & help me!!!

#36 Posted by clr84651 (5269 posts) -

OMG! It's called pull the plug!!!!

#37 Posted by WilZuBoyZ (1 posts) -
I had the same problem, thank you guys for tips ^^
#38 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6296 posts) -

Just hold down the power button until it beeps and then it should turn off (I may be wrong but worth a try)