HELP: my PS3 turns off by itself

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fryfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fryfan
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I know many people have commented on this issue, but I haven´t been able to find a solution.

The problem I am facing is that my PS3 turns off by itself as if there was a power cut in the house when there isn´t. I have a PS3 Slim 120gb which no longer is under warranty.

Further information on the problem. Last night I played for a couple of hours and nothing happened. Today I played for less than 30m when the problem occured. When the PS turns off, the only way to make it work again is to deconnect the electrical cable and to reconnect it again.

If anyone knows how to fix it or has any idea on the possible problem, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

sounds like there could be a loose connection or the power lead has become faulty. otherwise it's the whole ps3 short circuiting, and will need to be fixed or buy a new one

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Mine started to do that too... right before I had to send it in. The bad news is that it will cost well over $100 and you will lose your data unless it is backed up on a disc or their cloud save service. The good news is that you will get it back quickly... at least I did.
fryfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fryfan

Mine started to do that too... right before I had to send it in. The bad news is that it will cost well over $100 and you will lose your data unless it is backed up on a disc or their cloud save service. The good news is that you will get it back quickly... at least I did. donalbane

Thank you for the information. The problem is that currently, I am living in the US and my PS is European. I have asked sony US to repair it but since I bought it in Europe, they say I should contact Sony Europe for the issue. If you had to pay $100 to fix it in the US, I wonder how much I would have to pay to ship it overseas.

Still, thanks for the reply. By any chance, you won´t know what was the cause of the problem?

fryfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fryfan

sounds like there could be a loose connection or the power lead has become faulty. otherwise it's the whole ps3 short circuiting, and will need to be fixed or buy a new one

bezza2011

Thank you for the reply. I have changed the electrical plug and still has the same issue so it could be the power lead then.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 donalbane

[QUOTE="donalbane"]Mine started to do that too... right before I had to send it in. The bad news is that it will cost well over $100 and you will lose your data unless it is backed up on a disc or their cloud save service. The good news is that you will get it back quickly... at least I did. fryfan

Thank you for the information. The problem is that currently, I am living in the US and my PS is European. I have asked sony US to repair it but since I bought it in Europe, they say I should contact Sony Europe for the issue. If you had to pay $100 to fix it in the US, I wonder how much I would have to pay to ship it overseas.

Still, thanks for the reply. By any chance, you won´t know what was the cause of the problem?

My launch unit was overheating... the system turns itself off to prevent damaging components. It will last less and less time before it shuts off to the point it won't turn on at all. If you can, put a fan on it, take it out of your stereo cabinet (if you have one), and while it's plugged in, turn it on and try to back up any data you don't want to lose forever with a USB drive or something. Good luck... here's hoping you still have that option. You know, with the price drop, you may consider just buying another one. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but that's what I did after my 2nd PS3 died on me.
fryfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fryfan

[QUOTE="fryfan"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"]Mine started to do that too... right before I had to send it in. The bad news is that it will cost well over $100 and you will lose your data unless it is backed up on a disc or their cloud save service. The good news is that you will get it back quickly... at least I did. donalbane

My launch unit was overheating... the system turns itself off to prevent damaging components. It will last less and less time before it shuts off to the point it won't turn on at all. If you can, put a fan on it, take it out of your stereo cabinet (if you have one), and while it's plugged in, turn it on and try to back up any data you don't want to lose forever with a USB drive or something. Good luck... here's hoping you still have that option. You know, with the price drop, you may consider just buying another one. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but that's what I did after my 2nd PS3 died on me.

Thank you for the reply. Might have to consider that. I am thinking on opening it and trying to figure out what the problem is (as it seems I wont be able to fix it). Now, need to start looking at which specific screwdriver sony uses.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 donalbane
[QUOTE="fryfan"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="fryfan"]

Thank you for the reply. Might have to consider that. I am thinking on opening it and trying to figure out what the problem is (as it seems I wont be able to fix it). Now, need to start looking at which specific screwdriver sony uses.

If you open it, you void the warranty... but more importantly, Sony won't fix it if you open it I believe. Fine for some, but personally, I'm the sort of person who sends broken consoles in for repair. (At least the first time... 2nd time it's 'Time to get a new one.")