HDMI vs Component signal. Visual Aid for PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

I notice a lot of questions asked about HDMI vs Component. Anyone who uses HDMI cables understands HDMI is the best option if you want to get the most out of your PS3, visually. I recently bought HDMI cables because I'm new to this system. What got me looking into HDMI was something I noticed when I was playing the uncharted demo. Anyone still using component cables can try this and see for yourself. I would reccomend to any PS3 user to get HDMI cables if your TV supports it.

In the Uncharted demo, visit the first lagoon with the waterfall and stand in the middle. Spin the camera around Drake so you get the full motion blur effect and hold it. I did this because I figured if there was any way to test the limits of the system it would be something like this. I began to notice tearing at the top 1/3 of my screen every-time the camera panned by the waterfall. This was quite noticeable since the tearing caused the top 1/3 of the screen to be misaligned with the bottom 2/3rd. I just bought a new 40" samsung LCD so I thought maybe the PS3 just can't handle the visuals. But that thought faded quickly :P because of what I read about component cables. Since I was using component cables, I wasn't getting the fastest signal possible from my PS3 to TV. And I was right. The TV and the PS3 both can handle the game perfectly, but component will give you noticeable lag in certain situations. In part because how component splits your video signal into individual components for RGB and then has to re-combine the signal. HDMI gives you a faster, all in one digital signal that is superior over component. It was well worth it too since I spent $16.00 online for a good HDMI cable.

Examples: (note these were photoshoped to illustrate signal lag only)

Component: lag when motion blurred. notice the tearing across the top 1/3 of the screen.

HDMI: No lag when Motion Blurred

aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 aaronaton
Member since 2003 • 743 Posts

nice post mate, i wish i could afford the £100 ones at my local SONY centre

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I notice a lot of questions asked about HDMI vs Component. Anyone who uses HDMI cables understands HDMI is the best option if you want to get the most out of your PS3, visually. I recently bought HDMI cables because I'm new to this system. What got me looking into HDMI was something I noticed when I was playing the uncharted demo. Anyone still using component cables can try this and see for yourself. I would reccomend to any PS3 user to get HDMI cables if your TV supports it.

In the Uncharted demo, visit the first lagoon with the waterfall and stand in the middle. Spin the camera around Drake so you get the full motion blur effect and hold it. I did this because I figured if there was any way to test the limits of the system it would be something like this. I began to notice tearing at the top 1/3 of my screen every-time the camera panned by the waterfall. This was quite noticeable since the tearing caused the top 1/3 of the screen to be misaligned with the bottom 2/3rd. I just bought a new 40" samsung LCD so I thought maybe the PS3 just can't handle the visuals. But that thought faded quickly :P because of what I read about component cables. Since I was using component cables, I wasn't getting the fastest signal possible from my PS3 to TV. And I was right. The TV and the PS3 both can handle the game perfectly, but component will give you noticeable lag in certain situations. In part because how component splits your video signal into individual components for RGB and then has to re-combine the signal. HDMI gives you a faster, all in one digital signal that is superior over component. It was well worth it too since I spent $16.00 online for a good HDMI cable.

Examples: (note these were photoshoped to illustrate signal lag only)

Component: lag when motion blurred. notice the tearing across the top 1/3 of the screen.

HDMI: No lag when Motion Blurred

Darthmatt

What site did you buy from? I have hdmi cords right now but I recieve snow on my tv screen when I play at 1080p.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Darthmatt

aaronaton

People here recomended I go to monoprice.com. I found a good pair for $16.00. Don't let the big electronic stores fool you with their overpriced HDMI cables.

Note, when buying check the AWG#. the lower the number, the thicker the wire, more expensive, but more durrable.

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

Yeah I recently switched to HDMI. But what really gives you the full picture... Go to Display Settings and switch on FULL RGB Colour (HDMI) and Super-white. It gives such a noticeable boost between HDMI and component - I was amazed!

If you have an HDMI and don't have it set to Full RGB already (The PS3's default is Limited RGB)- DO IT NOW! It makes such a big difference for HDMI. Especially for drakes fortune.

aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aaronaton
these had platinum connectors, the guy told me not to bother unless had a serious serious setup.
aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aaronaton
i see you use 3DSmax aswell,
quick question....
im doing 3d animation this year, my package is MAYA, do you reckon i could make my animation HD and put them onto Blu-ray?? i.e does the PS3 play BD-R's????

and what resolution should i think about for a 1080i output and which format?? mp4???
LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

these had platinum connectors, the guy told me not to bother unless had a serious serious setup.aaronaton

I have Monster Cables with Gold Connectors (About $100 and over). They give a clearer reception than the cheaper HDMI cables I used to have.

OmegaOrtega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OmegaOrtega
Member since 2004 • 4502 Posts

The PS3 doesn't handle Uncharted perfectly, not even through HDMI.

There are still screen tears, texture pop in and lag here and there.

It's so rare though that it's not worth crying about. So I'll shut up now.

:D

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darthmatt

The PS3 doesn't handle Uncharted perfectly, not even through HDMI.

There are still screen tears, texture pop in and lag here and there.

It's so rare though that it's not worth crying about. So I'll shut up now.

:D

OmegaOrtega
Yeah, but it did solve the really noticable tearing I was getting.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
i would buy them but the different versions have me confused. i dont wanna buy an HDMI cable butfind out mytv doesnt support it.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darthmatt
i would buy them but the different versions have me confused. i dont wanna buy an HDMI cable butfind out mytv doesnt support it.AsadMahdi59
I hear you. PS3 supports HDMI 1.3a.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

[QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]i would buy them but the different versions have me confused. i dont wanna buy an HDMI cable butfind out mytv doesnt support it.Darthmatt

is there a way to tell what version an hdmi cable is? at the store most of them i see dont have the version on them

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darthmatt

[QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]i would buy them but the different versions have me confused. i dont wanna buy an HDMI cable butfind out mytv doesnt support it.AsadMahdi59

is there a way to tell what version an hdmi cable is? at the store most of them i see dont have the version on them

Well, I just bought a new TV and it supports the latest version. If yours is new if probably does too. But if you are not sure, I would go the brand website for your TV and try and look up the product ID. Or check Cnet.com and see if they have any info on your TV model.
stangen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 stangen
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts

Hey guys cause I'm a PS fanboy, and want everyone to have an awesome PS3 experience, u can call me at the company i work for 18009922237 ext 287, abesofmaine.com, I'll hook u up with some sick diamond precision cut gold plated HDMI cables for dirt cheap. Just add me to your PSN buddy list :)

These support full 1080p, they sell on our company website for like 70-120 bucks. Just hooked up my new 1080 Sharp, and resistance looks awesome on it even tho its only 720p. But these cables are amazing, call my extention and say my PSN ID ill give u the cables at cost, need more people to kick their ass on Resistance and Unreal 3 :P

PSN ID: Sabre313!

newbillclinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 newbillclinton
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

You could just buy a Composite cable (red, blue, green). The PS3 supports it, the only difference between HDMI and Composite is that HDMI is video and audio in one.
Just a suggestion.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

You could just buy a Composite cable (red, blue, green). The PS3 supports it, the only difference between HDMI and Composite is that HDMI is video and audio in one.
Just a suggestion.

newbillclinton
Actually HDMI gives you better picture and sound.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darthmatt

Just a suggestion.

newbillclinton
Component still carries the video and audio on an analog signal, while HDMI is fully digital. With HDMI There is a big increase on the amount data can be carried and speed the video and audio signal travels between your PS3 and TV. This gives you a better picture and sound with less signal lag. See examples in my OP. At this point I payed more for my sony component cable than my HDMI cable.
Exzor1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Exzor1969
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
So, I am curious for all of your input. My situation. Have a 57 inch 3 bulb television that does 1080i/480p/480i - but only has component inputs. Is this video lag enough to make my experience much less satisfying over component? Will the lag affect 'ping' response times in on line first person shooters? Is the video lag enough that even playing locally/single player/campaign modes - etc. Would perferr not to pick up a new TV - They are about to seriously come down in price . I am interested in picking up a PS3 to play on line games. Will componenent make it unsavorly? Thanks for any input. Happy New Year from the Dallas Metroplex.!
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

[QUOTE="aaronaton"]

Darthmatt

People here recomended I go to monoprice.com. I found a good pair for $16.00. Don't let the big electronic stores fool you with their overpriced HDMI cables.

Note, when buying check the AWG#. the lower the number, the thicker the wire, more expensive, but more durrable.

it's not overrpiced... if you do own a good HDMI cable...Anyway, you need a good large HDTV or projector,then you will see the difference.

For budget gamers, at least buy a cheap brand HDMI cable, generic cable is risky...who knows what material they have in it.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#21 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

[QUOTE="aaronaton"]

Darthmatt

I got a generic HDMI cable for $2. They either work, or don't.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="aaronaton"]

oajlu

it's not overrpiced... if you do own a good HDMI cable...Anyway, you need a good large HDTV or projector,then you will see the difference.

For budget gamers, at least buy a cheap brand HDMI cable, generic cable is risky...who knows what material they have in it.

Of course it's overpriced, it's all the same since it's a digital signal. It seems like some people still feel the need to defend the fact that they were ripped off. a £10 HDMI cable is exactly the same as a £60 cable.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthmatt"][QUOTE="aaronaton"]

ThePerro

I got a generic HDMI cable for $2. They either work, or don't.

Exactly,
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Yeah I recently switched to HDMI. But what really gives you the full picture... Go to Display Settings and switch on FULL RGB Colour (HDMI) and Super-white. It gives such a noticeable boost between HDMI and component - I was amazed!

If you have an HDMI and don't have it set to Full RGB already (The PS3's default is Limited RGB)- DO IT NOW! It makes such a big difference for HDMI. Especially for drakes fortune.

LtColJaxson
Yeah i know the colours are almost edible, i was amazed too and i tested it on a game i've played a lot which is WaW and it was instantly more vivid and contrast seems better but obviously changing these doesn't make your TV any better, it just improves the colours and also the whites so don't expect to turn these on and step into 2034.