Hasn't Blu-Ray already won?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whitey6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 whitey6
Member since 2005 • 1646 Posts
About 70% of the big movie companys are supporting Blu-Ray exclusivly, and 20% of them are supporting HD-DVD exclusivly, while 10% are going with both.
So, say this "war" lasts 5 years, people who want to buy a movie on high definition, are going to have to choose between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, but as I stated earlier, 70% of the studios are supporting Blu-Ray exclusivly, that means most of the high def movies that come out for sale are going to be on Blu-Ray, so if people want to buy a movie in high def, for the most part they will have to go with Blu-Ray, does anyone understand what I mean? Not the best grammar I know.
Imallvol7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Imallvol7
Member since 2003 • 7566 Posts
its been won for quite a while, people are just too stubborn to admit it. Even ms employees called HD-DVD the next betamax today there are already blu ray burners out and dell and apple solely support blu ray. Its been over for a while
mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts
It's just like how the DS has not won the handhelds and the Xbox has not won the consoles.  The format war ends winter of 07 or early 08.  Big chain stores like Walmart aren't gonna hold DVDs, HDDVD, and BD because that would take too much room and cost.
whitey6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 whitey6
Member since 2005 • 1646 Posts
Well even if HD-DVD was better quality, its not supporting, and its nothing Blu-Ray can't improve on. 
Demarco25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Demarco25
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

It's just like how the DS has not won the handhelds and the Xbox has not won the consoles.  The format war ends winter of 07 or early 08.  Big chain stores like Walmart aren't gonna hold DVDs, HDDVD, and BD because that would take too much room and cost.mikeslemonade

The war did not even begin. No one is buying HD DVDs or Bluray.

PowerCharged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PowerCharged
Member since 2006 • 1402 Posts
blu ray already won, sony and the others needs to make the players and the movies more affordable, or else nobody will buy them. why would i spend 30-40 bucks on a movie when i get a game with 10 dollars more?? the only blu ray i have is a free one.
etbny22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 etbny22
Member since 2005 • 1697 Posts
i would have to search for the articles but so far hd-dvd is selling better then blu-ray right now....mostly due to the $500 difference in price.
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts

[QUOTE="mikeslemonade"]It's just like how the DS has not won the handhelds and the Xbox has not won the consoles.  The format war ends winter of 07 or early 08.  Big chain stores like Walmart aren't gonna hold DVDs, HDDVD, and BD because that would take too much room and cost.Demarco25

i agree to that.. but blue ray seems better though.. cause it can hold so much more.. i dunno we shall see :X betamax vs VHS all over again!!! ahh! hahaaha then some other thing will come out called VioletDVD
Demarco25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Demarco25
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
[QUOTE="Demarco25"]

[QUOTE="mikeslemonade"]It's just like how the DS has not won the handhelds and the Xbox has not won the consoles.  The format war ends winter of 07 or early 08.  Big chain stores like Walmart aren't gonna hold DVDs, HDDVD, and BD because that would take too much room and cost.expanded

i agree to that.. but blue ray seems better though.. cause it can hold so much more.. i dunno we shall see :X betamax vs VHS all over again!!! ahh! hahaaha then some other thing will come out called VioletDVD

How does holding more make something better? The betamax could hold more but what happened to it? The problem with blu ray is that the players cost 1000 and not that many people will go out and buy a playstation 3 to be their  blu ray player.

Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts
[QUOTE="expanded"][QUOTE="Demarco25"]

[QUOTE="mikeslemonade"]It's just like how the DS has not won the handhelds and the Xbox has not won the consoles. The format war ends winter of 07 or early 08. Big chain stores like Walmart aren't gonna hold DVDs, HDDVD, and BD because that would take too much room and cost.Demarco25

How does holding more make something better? The betamax could hold more but what happened to it?

Nobody supported it though. Nearly everyone is supporting Blu-Ray, so you can't make that comparison.
davez82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 davez82
Member since 2003 • 1864 Posts
apple is supporting blu ray?? hm then the war is over
Avatar image for GamersNightmare
GamersNightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamersNightmare
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts
Like everything that comes out right away, it's over priced. Blu-ray players have already dropped a couple hundred bucks and they will continue to drop as more come out and more movies are made. Look at Plasma TV's when they came out, they were priced on the average of about $6000 and now they have some cheap ones going for $1000. It all just takes time.
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
About 70% of the big movie companys are supporting Blu-Ray exclusivly, and 20% of them are supporting HD-DVD exclusivly, while 10% are going with both.
So, say this "war" lasts 5 years, people who want to buy a movie on high definition, are going to have to choose between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, but as I stated earlier, 70% of the studios are supporting Blu-Ray exclusivly, that means most of the high def movies that come out for sale are going to be on Blu-Ray, so if people want to buy a movie in high def, for the most part they will have to go with Blu-Ray, does anyone understand what I mean? Not the best grammar I know.
whitey6
The price of blueray drive will continue to drop as production continues for the ps3. Sony already has 400,000 "potential" blueray customer due to ps3. And every week, that number is increasing cause of ps3. All ps3 gamers may not buy a blueray movie but eventually they will buy some as blueray drops to match dvd prices. Because blueray is inside each ps3, by the end of 2007, they could potentially be 2-5 million (or more) blueray drives out there cause of ps3.
lotr_2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 lotr_2003
Member since 2003 • 2096 Posts

Does it really matter? Even if bluray or hd-dvd win, we will still see both formats in stores for years to come because both bluray and hd-dvd has sold enough to establish a market. Just because one will win, doesn't mean the other one will instantly disapeer. Look how long it took VHS to disapeer when DVD's came out...

Lastly, both bluray and hd-dvd have pro's and con's...and that is why Toshiba is releasing next month a player capable to read both bluray and hd-dvd.

namisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 namisan
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
bluray has not won yet. remember that beta was a better quality media back in the day, yet it fell by the wayside. it's such an expensive investment, you need a 1080p 50in tv to fully enjoy it, and if you don't it gets scaled back to like a 640 resolution. really, how much information do you need on a disk. and don't count microsoft out if indeed bluray does win...they were smart enough to make their hd drive external...ahhhhh sorry ps3 you're screwed if it does fail. GO Wii!!!
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
Dont care. I dont want another physical media. I want to be able to rent movies/download instead. I have no use for dust collectors at home.
jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts

[QUOTE="mikeslemonade"]It's just like how the DS has not won the handhelds and the Xbox has not won the consoles. The format war ends winter of 07 or early 08. Big chain stores like Walmart aren't gonna hold DVDs, HDDVD, and BD because that would take too much room and cost.Demarco25

How does holding more make something better? The betamax could hold more but what happened to it? The problem with blu ray is that the players cost 1000 and not that many people will go out and buy a playstation 3 to be their blu ray player.

One of the reasons VHS won is because they were able to record 4 hours on one tape and with the original BETA it was ony 1 hour then they came out with a 2 hour BETA but by that time there were 6 hour VHS tapes. Also why wouldn't people buy a PS3 as a BR player? It's the cheapest and some say as a BR player it's also the best. Also there are stand alone BR players less than $1000 here's one right here.....

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P1000-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player/dp/B000F99FDE
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts

[QUOTE="mikeslemonade"]It's just like how the DS has not won the handhelds and the Xbox has not won the consoles.  The format war ends winter of 07 or early 08.  Big chain stores like Walmart aren't gonna hold DVDs, HDDVD, and BD because that would take too much room and cost.Demarco25

+1, this argument is ridiculous, dvd makes this hi def war a speck on the map. it will be meaningless for years.
MoFizzle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MoFizzle1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

How does holding more make something better? The betamax could hold more but what happened to it? The problem with blu ray is that the players cost 1000 and not that many people will go out and buy a playstation 3 to be their blu ray player.

Demarco25

The problem with this argument is that everybody who had to choose between beta and VHS because it was their only practical form of recording and playing back video. Rich, Poor whoever.

When choosing whether to support blu-ray or HDDVD the decision is limited to people who are willing to pay some extra cash to see a high definition movie. In order for it to make a real difference they'll pay extra for a nice TV and surround sound system, because there's no point in having the fancy format unless you get the most (or at least "more) out of it.

So money isn't MUCH of the rationale for decisions here.
davez82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 davez82
Member since 2003 • 1864 Posts
it doesnt matter. blu ray movies will exist for entire existence of the ps3, by the time ps4 come out there might even be a newer format.. it will never end.
T-Zone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 T-Zone
Member since 2003 • 4525 Posts
1 Major factor why VHS won over Betamax, which is why BluRay will beat HD-DVD : The xXx Industry...
racer21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 racer21
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts
yay 4 blue ray. ps3 pwnage.
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lucifer007
Member since 2006 • 1132 Posts

Listen Blu-ray lsot Hd-dvd lost 
Now before you get mad next week warner brotehrs is realesing a disc called HD discs that plays both formats and can be played on regular dvd players when this happens its overs for the formats 

The_Lion_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Lion_King
Member since 2002 • 1262 Posts

Does it really matter? Even if bluray or hd-dvd win, we will still see both formats in stores for years to come because both bluray and hd-dvd has sold enough to establish a market. Just because one will win, doesn't mean the other one will instantly disapeer. Look how long it took VHS to disapeer when DVD's came out...

Lastly, both bluray and hd-dvd have pro's and con's...and that is why Toshiba is releasing next month a player capable to read both bluray and hd-dvd.lotr_2003

Listen Blu-ray lsot Hd-dvd lost 
Now before you get mad next week warner brotehrs is realesing a disc called HD discs that plays both formatsand can be played on regular dvd players when this happens its overs for the formats 

Lucifer007

Yup, Yup - I've heard about both of these also. Just have to wait though and see how they turn out...

It sucks that the majority of people have to just sit out and wait before buying a next gen DVD player, simply because idiots at Sony & Toshiba couldn't agree on something together.

GameCrazed85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GameCrazed85
Member since 2006 • 1013 Posts
I dont think that blu-ray has won. I like the hd-dvd format better right now. Some movies look better and the menus and interactivity is much better than blu-ray. If a movely is soley on blu-ray than I will get it. If it's on both I will get the hd-dvd. I will support them both until the war is over but right now hd-dvd has my vote.
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
There's one problem with that. well actually several but I'll jus tpoint out the most important parts.

this hybrid disk is bound to cost even more than either BR or HDDHD to use for the movie companies. they're going to want to use one or the other because only one is neccessary. VHS wone out over beta max because of usebase. if people see these hybrid disks for 35 bucks they'll quickly start thinking BR ar 25 to 30 will be a great deal. The movie companies know this and being that they're loosing a lot of money that they used to make on home video thanks to more wide spread pirating they're going to go with the format people will buy the most.
Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts
[QUOTE="Imallvol7"] Even ms employees called HD-DVD the next betamax today

No they didn't, they were mocking sony if you read it carefully.
nietzscheyay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nietzscheyay
Member since 2005 • 96 Posts
The biggest problem with both formats at the moment is consumers. A recent study showed that a majority of people who owned HDTVs thought they were watching HDTV...but weren't. Durrrr... Consumers don't even realize their current DVDs are inadequate. Ask people you know. You'll find quite a few people think DVDs ARE HD.
Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts
1 Major factor why VHS won over Betamax, which is why BluRay will beat HD-DVD : The xXx Industry... T-Zone
such a overstated, and completely wrong statement. The reason beta max lost is because only one company(sony) made the players, thus making it a monopoly and much more expensive than the vhs which many companies made. Competition drives the price down, a monopoly drive prices up. Junior high economics here people. Also the difference between the 2 formats was discernible by almost all consumers. People won't pay for something they can't see.
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cellien
Member since 2004 • 2280 Posts
Uh.. HD-DVDs outsell Blue-Ray movies nearly 10 to 1 in fall of '06. So.. lol.. no, I would not say Blue Ray has won... Try looking it up online. The gap may have closed some with PS3, but just about no analyst out there thinks Blue-Ray can win now.
railszach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31 railszach
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
yeah, it'll eventually be the new norm, but not for a long time, probably a good 7 years or so
nietzscheyay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nietzscheyay
Maybe that's because HD-DVD players were out in the summer, while the first BD player (Samsung's BDP1000) wasn't out until late fall? ...and I'd be interested for you to look up the holiday BD sales. And please don't quote just Amazon, like the HD-DVD fansite does. ;)
pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pgdickerson
Member since 2004 • 70 Posts
Less than 5% of the U.S. population have a 1080p television.  Maybe in 10 years, 25%.  Right now DVD is in the homes of something like 80% of households.  People will not buy a $500 DVD player.  Both formats will fade into obscurity.  Someone on this forum said it earlier, Wal-Mart will not stock all three formats of the same movie.  They will eventually only stock DVD since they will be the ones selling. 
pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pgdickerson
Gamers and fanboys alone won't win the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war.
pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pgdickerson
it doesnt matter. blu ray movies will exist for entire existence of the ps3, by the time ps4 come out there might even be a newer format.. it will never end.davez82
sort of like UMD will be around as long as the PSP is around? (sarcasm intended)
nietzscheyay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nietzscheyay
They will eventually only stock DVD since they will be the ones selling.  pgdickerson
In about two years, the price of BD players will be right there alongside current DVD players. Current DVD players are flimsy pieces of junk. When someone walks into a store to pick up a new DVD player because theirs shot craps, it'll make sense to get a BD player. People who are buying HDTVs are picking up HD disc players (both BD and HD-DVD). People in the market for a new TV are buying HDTVs. Eventually, one format will hold out over the other and people will buy those discs. Judging from the looks of things right now, that format is going to be BD.
pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pgdickerson
[QUOTE="pgdickerson"]They will eventually only stock DVD since they will be the ones selling.  nietzscheyay
In about two years, the price of BD players will be right there alongside current DVD players. Current DVD players are flimsy pieces of junk. When someone walks into a store to pick up a new DVD player because theirs shot craps, it'll make sense to get a BD player. People who are buying HDTVs are picking up HD disc players (both BD and HD-DVD). People in the market for a new TV are buying HDTVs. Eventually, one format will hold out over the other and people will buy those discs. Judging from the looks of things right now, that format is going to be BD.

Yes people are buying HDTV's, but how many are buying 1080p? I know they both will down convert to 720p, but I don't think the price per player will reach DVD level as quickly as you think. It is supply and demand that sets the price and I don't see the demand. I'm an engineer who hang around a bunch of nerdy types. And I only know 1 guy with a HD-player, (a PS3) I go through a new DVD player every year and I have a 57 inch 1080i. I'm not tempted to buy a HD player yet because of the chance it'll go obsolete in a few years and my DVD's look great on it. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and 1 format will win in the end, I hope I am wrong because it would be nice to join the circus. I just don't see it happening.
ZeLeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZeLeam
Member since 2006 • 726 Posts
Less than 5% of the U.S. population have a 1080p television. Maybe in 10 years, 25%. Right now DVD is in the homes of something like 80% of households. People will not buy a $500 DVD player. Both formats will fade into obscurity. Someone on this forum said it earlier, Wal-Mart will not stock all three formats of the same movie. They will eventually only stock DVD since they will be the ones selling. pgdickerson

If things were as slow as you say we'd still be using vhs. big companies are investing in both formats.
Anyone (that has at least a medium income) that buys a new big tv will get an hd one soon.... simply cause it's what there'll be in the market
nietzscheyay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nietzscheyay
I'm not tempted to buy a HD player yet because of the chance it'll go obsolete in a few years and my DVD's look great on it. pgdickerson
Why did you buy your TV then? That thing is going obsolete as I write this. Actually, I take that back: it is obsolete. It's not 1080p. For that matter, why by anything if there's a chance it will go obsolete? As per your current DVDs looking "great", just remember: They can look much, much better. In essence you paid a lot of money for a TV and not getting everything you paid for. :)
pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pgdickerson

If things were as slow as you say we'd still be using vhs. big companies are investing in both formats.
Anyone (that has at least a medium income) that buys a new big tv will get an hd one soon.... simply cause it's what there'll be in the market

Your comparing apples to oranges. The TV market is very slow, the media market is moving too fast. I said people are not buying televisions that can get the most out of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD very fast. Standard Definition TV's capable of displaying DVD level resolution have been around for decades. Companies invest in a lot of things. Not everything works out.
pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pgdickerson
Why did you buy your TV then? That thing is going obsolete as I write this. Actually, I take that back: it is obsolete. It's not 1080p. For that matter, why by anything if there's a chance it will go obsolete? As per your current DVDs looking "great", just remember: They can look much, much better. In essence you paid a lot of money for a TV and not getting everything you paid for. :)

When I bough my TV it was one of the best on the market. I bought it 6 years ago, long before HDMI came out. It still rocks and I do get the most out of it. I have Hi-Def programing and a 360 with componet input. I bought my TV when it was the latest accepted standard. No one knows if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will be the standard. I believe in not putting all my eggs in one basket.
ZeLeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZeLeam
Member since 2006 • 726 Posts
pgdickerson

Your comparing apples to oranges. The TV market is very slow, the media market is moving too fast. I said people are not buying televisions that can get the most out of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD very fast. Standard Definition TV's capable of displaying DVD level resolution have been around for decades. Companies invest in a lot of things. Not everything works out.

Mmm, good point, there was no so much need for new tvs when dvd came.
It might not work out, but I think that too much money has been invested to let it die easily. Also hd tv is started to be emited in some countries, that might give it a push.
I wont cry if we stick to dvds tho
dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts
I dont know where you got your info on the betamax but if  i remember correctly vhs had longer playing time and was a physically bigger tape than betamax. I think betamax lost just because vhs was flooded to the market place and that is what people bought. IMO beta was better , same quality but a smaller tape was involved.

How does holding more make something better? The betamax could hold more but what happened to it? The problem with blu ray is that the players cost 1000 and not that many people will go out and buy a playstation 3 to be their  blu ray player.

nietzscheyay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nietzscheyay
[QUOTE="pgdickerson"] When I bough my TV it was one of the best on the market. I bought it 6 years ago, long before HDMI came out. It still rocks and I do get the most out of it. I have Hi-Def programing and a 360 with componet input. I bought my TV when it was the latest accepted standard. No one knows if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will be the standard. I believe in not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Fair enough. Working in the electronics biz, new technologies are typically driven by the oddest factors. Ever since Sony and Mitsubishi launched their "Full HD" or "True HD" advertizing campaigns, the demand for 1080p has gone through the roof. Of all of the HDTVs that our company sells (a small-ish, privately owned, commissioned based business), I would say 75% of them are 40" or larger 1080p, while most of the are 32" LCDs. Only a small percentage of shoppers ("value" shoppers, or cheap-asses) don't go 1080p. Anyway, the 1080p hype is in full-force. Most consumers believe that it's only "real" HD if it's 1080p, and most of us in the industry are going to run with it. Also, though people on forums can speculate all they want, the hard sales numbers for our company indicate that BD players and media are another rage. Everyone wants one, but few people are biting at the price. Although, I'm certain places like the big blue tag and the electrical plug have different figures.
TheAbstrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheAbstrakt
Member since 2006 • 1736 Posts
when did this format warstart. barely anyone has an hd-dvd player or blu ray player to watch movies.
thmst30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thmst30
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts
No it hasn't won, and neither will.  This is a false battle.
ghostjga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ghostjga
Member since 2005 • 465 Posts
Hi. I rarely post, but hey i bumped in to this article and it looks like Warner is going to introduce 'total HD'. This means movies produced by them can be either use on a blu-ray or a HD-DVD. This however is kinda downsets the advantage of the blu-ray player, since it costs double the price of a HD-DVD player ($500 vs $1000). I mean, if you could play a disk on both formats, would you choose the cheaper or the expensive one? (this one pretty obvious). Of course, not sure whether other producers (such as Sony) are going to support this effort. My thought, Total HD is great, since its a big plus for consumers. No worries for obsolete formats. Anyway, in case your interested on this read, check it out at: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20070104060353.html
pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pgdickerson

Fair enough. Working in the electronics biz, new technologies are typically driven by the oddest factors. Ever since Sony and Mitsubishi launched their "Full HD" or "True HD" advertizing campaigns, the demand for 1080p has gone through the roof. Of all of the HDTVs that our company sells (a small-ish, privately owned, commissioned based business), I would say 75% of them are 40" or larger 1080p, while most of the are 32" LCDs. Only a small percentage of shoppers ("value" shoppers, or cheap-asses) don't go 1080p. Anyway, the 1080p hype is in full-force. Most consumers believe that it's only "real" HD if it's 1080p, and most of us in the industry are going to run with it. Also, though people on forums can speculate all they want, the hard sales numbers for our company indicate that BD players and media are another rage. Everyone wants one, but few people are biting at the price. Although, I'm certain places like the big blue tag and the electrical plug have different figures.

I know the kind of place you work at.  I tend to drool a lot every time I visit one.  Honestly, if my TV kicked the bucket I'd buy a 1080p in a heartbeat.  But even being an engineer, married to an engineer, who one day dreams of retiring and sending his kids to college; even I can't afford to buy a new TV and player every 5 years. I refuse to have to upgrade my TV just to keep up.  It's like having to buy a new car every time they fill the potholes.

jon_erick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jon_erick
Member since 2006 • 59 Posts

Forrester: Blu-ray winning drawn-out format war

updateSony's Blu-ray format for next-generation DVD drives will win over Toshiba's rival HD DVD format, analyst firm Forrester predicted Wednesday--but it won't be a quick victory.

"After a long and tedious run-up to the launch, it is now clear to Forrester that the Sony-led Blu-ray format will win," Ted Schadler, a Forrester analyst, said in a report. "But unless the HD DVD group abandons the field, it will be another two years before consumers are confident enough of the winner to think about buying a new-format DVD player."

Xbox 360 Could Support Blu-ray

Call it one step ahead or a little bit of damage control, I don't care. But Xbox Circle reports that Peter Moore said he could see a Blu-ray external player for the Xbox 360 if Blu-ray ends up winning the "format wars." These are format wars that I don't even think should be happening, but Microsoft is already building a bunker in case things go bad. Smart on the company's part, by readying an HD-DVD drive and being prepared to ready a Blu-ray player, Microsoft is either thinking ahead or preparing to try to cut Sony off at every possible corner. This could get dirty, like catfight, squealing, mudwrestling dirty. I'm into it.

Even though the hd-dvd is ahead, look how close blu-ray has gotten, it's been doing nothing but rising....

Any Questions?

pgdickerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pgdickerson
Microsoft mentioned making a external blu-ray player when they anounced the HD-DVD player.  It is their contingency plan to remain relevent in case things don't go their way.  What is sony's?Â