Great JRPGs on the PSP.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Philosoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 Philosoma
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

Phantasy Star 4

You can either homebrew this or buy it in the Sega Collection pack for PSP - probably about $17 used or $24 new at a Gamestop. I bought this game the day it came out on Genesis for $59 and I compared that version to this one on PSP and the PSP has all of the cutscenes, a little better translation, 30+ hours of game, no weird glitches when you macro your spell/tech, but the load times (UMD) are kind of sucky (5-10sec). Other than that, this is a great port - it is definitely worth playing if you liked Phantasy Star 2 or older Final Fantasy games, especially the old school kind - lots of weapons, characters, drama, cutscenes, awesome combat system and story. Worth buying the Sega Collection pack just for this game imo.

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth

Ok, every review out there really does not do this port justice - it is a direct port, with some added stuff, of the PS1 game Valkyrie Profile. The combat is actually less laggy and because of the PSP's screen, the graphics look much better than the PS1 on a TV. This game is beautiful, both in music and artwork and the combat is really awesome - lots of button combination for attacks, skills, and magic. The game has a bunch of characters, with unique storylines which I really enjoyed, multiple endings, and about 50+ hours of gameplay. I would actually say that this version is just as good, if not better, than the PS1 version. Load times and music quality are about the same - I got it for 19.99 used at a Gamestop.

PopoloCrois PSP

Ok wow, this is a true-blue effing JRPG - if you like quirky, cute, perverted, strange characters and plot development alongside really nice artwork, music, cutscenes, and compelling story, than this is a game for you. However! If you are annoyed by birl-boy love, cheesy drama, over-the-top cute enemies and bad, BAD, TERRIBLE random battle encounter rates - STAY AWAY.

This game is a true remake of both PopoloCrois I and II (never released stateside) - these are very popular RPGs in Japan. The games are so oldschool, from item and weapon purchasing, to plot development. It definitely feels and looks like a game for the kiddies, but it is a little deeper than that - the story is actually pretty good. Best part of this game is that it's two games in one, fast load times, and is long, like 60+ hours each game.

I got this in a bargain bin at EBgames for $9.99 brand new - that's a steal, man. If you like oldschool JRPGs, then really check this out and play it during your summer vacation.

Final Fantasy Tactics Lion War PSP

Ok, ok, this isn't out yet. It will be coming out in the Fall for the US and Canada, but I don't know about Europe or AU. If you haven't played the original FFTactics on PS1, and you are a fan of RPGs... you need to smack yourself, hard. Luckily for you, a superior version is coming out Fall 2007 for the PSP - it will have 2 new job klasses, 2 new characters, 10 or so new missions, online PVP combat and co-op, and added music and cutscenes. This will be the best version of FFTactics ever, so pre-order it when you can.

hsaitou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hsaitou
Member since 2005 • 243 Posts

Well, I dont have time to put images right now, but since we are talking about JRPG´s I think these upcoming games Are worth mentionig:

Tales of The World: Radiant Mythology

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/talesoftheworldradiantmythology/index.html

Brave Story: New Traveler

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/bravestory/index.html

Riviera, The Promise Land

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/rivierayakusokunochi/index.html

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts
Riviera is a really good game with mulitple endings. I played it when it came out on gba.
Jorlen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Jorlen
Member since 2007 • 1013 Posts
Hrm nice post man.  I didn't know Phantasy Star 4 was part of the sega collection.  I'll add it to my list of "games I need to get eventually" :)
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#5 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I kinda wish we had some RPGs with voice acting and high quality graphics....
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#6 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
By the way, I didn't like Valkrie Profile...
4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts

can you post pics of gameplay for phantasy star I never played the game!

NatsuGaijin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NatsuGaijin
Member since 2006 • 209 Posts
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, I agree. I enjoy playing that game.
joost2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 joost2000
Member since 2003 • 161 Posts

You forgot about:

- Tales of Eternia, in my (humble) opnion, the best jrpg available atm
- FF1 remake (very-importfriendly) which is great in its simplicity

Keep you eyes open for the upcoming:

- Jeanne d'Arc (looks very good!)

- D&D tactics (not Jrpg, but still rpgish)

Dark-Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dark-Death
Member since 2003 • 69 Posts
Also:

Tales of Destiny 2 - (not really import friendly)
Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition - (you'll prolly understand this if you've played the NA GBA Version)
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

I kinda wish we had some RPGs with voice acting and high quality graphics....vashkey

I'm sincerely hoping that the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion PSP game has some voice acting akin to the console/PC versions. I'm pretty certain the graphics are going to rock too. Keep an eye out for that one.