jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

This may seem like an odd topic, but I can't seem to find a good over the ear headset that doesn't hurt my ears because I wear eyeglasses. I feel like I'm missing out on these Turtlebeach type headphones with built-in surround sound because of my damn eyesight.

My vision is bad enough that gaming without glasses isn't even an option. To give you an idea of what happens when I wear these type of headphones is that the earphones push against my ears (obviously) which puts pressure on my frames, causing pain on my ears and even bending my frames a little.

I suppose new frames might be a fix, but can't afford right now. Anyone have any suggestions? Do they make headphones with the eyeglasses wearer in mind?

Edit: I have a PS4 that I game on.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@jasean79:

How about contact lenses?

Anyways. Most gaming headsets are going to be clampy although you could try and stretch a pair out over a row of books overnight. I just wouldn't trust that with something like the Sony Pulse Elites.

I'm also going to say the same thing I say to everybody. Of your budget permits, stay away from console gaming headsets to begin with. You will be thanking yourself in the long run.

Perhaps the Astro Mixamp and Sennheiser HD 558's I hear they are very comfortable and not too clampy. For the Mixamp, HD 558's and a Zalman mic? You are looking at about $260 on Amazon. If that's too much, consider the Superlux HD 668b's instead which would bring your total after mic and Mixamp to $180.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i am also wearing glasses and never had a similar problem with any kind of headphones, maybe if you try over ear headphones compared to on ear headphone you'd get around it...

anyways most of the "surround" sound headphones aren't true surround ones, they are virtual surround sound headphones (all of sony's)... in order to get true surround you'd need a surround sound decoder and a true surround sound headphone with multiple drivers in them...

i reckon you could use decent in-ear headphones with the ds4's headphone output, i know it won't be the same as a real surround sound system but it would be pretty close... of course, if you want to chat as well, get a good headphone for mobile phones with a microphone... if you want total sound isolation as well i'd recommend in ear (ear canal) headphones with foam earplugs and in-line microphone...

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Murderstyle75

@MondasM:

There's no such thing as true surround sound with headphones because you still have speakers up against each ear. So called True Surround headphones are marketing gimmicks. You might have multiple speakers but these are weak and inferior to stereo drivers. Like it or not, multiple speakers still have to simulate the positioning of audio cues just as virtual surround sound simulates it.

One of the problems with Sonys headsets is, they are trying to simulate surround from a two channel source. Dolby Headphone on the other hand simulates surround sound by using a real 5.1 source. The absolute best kind of headphones to use with virtual surround technology are open design reference class headphones such as the Sennheiser HD558's, Sennheiser HD598's or Sony MDR MA900's. Good cheaper cans like this are the Superlux HD668b's or Samson SR850's.

The thing about earbuds, true surround headphones as well as closed headphones like every console gaming headset on the market is, they don't offer a proper soundstage or imaging for accurate width or depth.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

I wear glasses and find the Astro A50's to be very comfortable. The only time I had to take them off was after 10 hours of nonstop gaming and that was only because the battery needed charging. And these are 7.1 sound with great bass. And the material around the cups are more fabric so no sweaty earcups. :)

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MondasM

@Murderstyle75:

of course having a real surround sound receiver with decent speakers along with right positioning cannot be beaten by headphones, however if one has no other option (e.g. wife / girlfriend / family sleeping in the next room, etc.), the best is having the headphones with multiple drivers and a surround amp / decoder is the best solution (i am not a fan of cables so i go with virtual surround headphones for those couple of hours each week, where i do not want to wake my girlfriend up - i know it is not the best or second best solution)... :)

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Murderstyle75

@MondasM:

I think you are misunderstanding. Stereo headphones using virtual surround sound such as Dolby Headphone or DTS Headphone X will beat multiple driver headphones any day of the week.

As for home theater systems? Room acoustics and reflections always diminish the accuracy of speakers imaging. This is something headphones do not suffer from. When using something like a pair of Sennheiser HD598's with an Astro Mixamp, the accuracy is about as good as it gets.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MondasM

@Murderstyle75:

good to know then, thanks... :)

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@jasean79: I will change your life forever....use regular iPhone or iPod headphones....the beauty with ps4 is you plug you're regular headphones into the controller, hold down the ps button, and theres an option something like manage devices, click that and pair the headphones...Its awesome I hear the game even better than turtle beach.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Murderstyle75

@ps4hasnogames:

Turtle Beach isn't any good to begin with though. But then again, neither are iBuds.