Good alternative to GTA5 or Far Cry3 for PS3

#1 Posted by shootinfool73 (15 posts) -

My son is 11...he loves the driving and open world parts of games like Far Cry 3 and GTA 5. But... and I know I'm probably strange in this regard these days... I dont let him play these games other than in the small doses of driving because of the rest of the content. A little bad language is OK and violence doesnt bother me (I let him play T games and violent M games like AC), but when GTA 5 kicks in full gear ghetto mode, even I cringe... LOL.

That said, he's not a 'racing' fan...so any recommendations for PS3 games with similar open world driving to games like these, but that's not 100% focused on racing -- and not a kiddie-game like Mario Kart -- but also is rated T or better (or even M, but with limited language and no major sexual content)? Does that even exist?

thanks

#2 Posted by SoNin360 (5196 posts) -

I was going to say Burnout Paradise since it's an open world racing game, but I almost skipped over the "100% not focused on racing part". Unfortunately, I can't really think of any other open world games with driving gameplay that isn't rated M.

#3 Edited by locus-solus (477 posts) -

kinda tough what you are asking the two games i'm suggesting are M third person shooters.

• Red Faction Guerrilla (i remember this being mild)
  • Just Cause 2 (haven't finished)

if you're open to looking at games that don't use vehicles that are open world i'd suggest.

• Okami HD
  • Infamous 1 & 2/Infamous collection
#4 Edited by kingw12 (12 posts) -

Batman Arkham City. Offers a good open world to fly around as Batman and beating up bad guys. After all, who doesn't want to be Batman. The new Spiderman game if he likes spiderman better than batman. But Batman Arkham City is a great game that you should try yourself. I believe there is also the Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter games. I know I really enjoyed those games when I was younger. They may not be open world, but they are very suitable for the younger age group. I know there is a new Ratchet & Clank along with a HD remake of the original 3 and same with Jak & Daxter HD remake. (if I recall, Jak 3 is actually open world)

#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68841 posts) -

Need for Speed Most Wanted has both open world and racing. He could play Saints Row 3 if you allow it. Sleeping Dogs is another example with both driving and shooting. There is also inFamous

#6 Edited by AJC3317 (2497 posts) -

the recent lego games would probably be great choices

#7 Posted by shootinfool73 (15 posts) -

Thanks guys...

He's played some of the lego games, Ratchet and Clank. and has the last Spiderman game too... no, he just likes the sandbox type of running and driving around, getting in high-speed wrecks and fighting people thing.... He's played many games that dont have driving involved, too... I wasnt looking for a game suitable for an 11 yr old.... Unrealistically, I think I was hoping there might be a (mostly) "clean" version of GTA5 (where your can run around and get in trouble, then jut hop into the nearest car and drive like a bat out of hell...

#8 Edited by The_Last_Ride (68841 posts) -

Thanks guys...

He's played some of the lego games, Ratchet and Clank. and has the last Spiderman game too... no, he just likes the sandbox type of running and driving around, getting in high-speed wrecks and fighting people thing.... He's played many games that dont have driving involved, too... I wasnt looking for a game suitable for an 11 yr old.... Unrealistically, I think I was hoping there might be a (mostly) "clean" version of GTA5 (where your can run around and get in trouble, then jut hop into the nearest car and drive like a bat out of hell...

Saints Row 3 or 4 would be the closest thing

#9 Posted by Lhomity (758 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs, I guess.

#10 Posted by MondasM (1183 posts) -

burnout paradise... :)

it is open world and a driving game and it's super cheap, if you want more recent titles, nfs: rivals is a good choice, where you can play cops and well, gumball racers, plus these games do not have graphic violence, just car on car carnage... :)

#11 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -

Wait a couple weeks and get Watch Dogs.

#12 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Watch Dogs, maybe. Coming out soon. Don't do get Saint's Row. Great series, but not appropriate for an 11yo.

#13 Edited by The-Apostle (12104 posts) -

There's always L.A. Noire, that's pretty clean and offers both. Skyrim is clean and open world but doesn't have driving.

#14 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (986 posts) -

I don't want to tell you how to raise your son but GTA 5 isn't THATTT bad. I say this because everything over-the-top is done in a comical sense, its mostly just funny. It's a sort of parody of American culture, I'm sure he knows its just a game. Mafia 2 isn't "ghetto" lol. Its an open world mafia game. (by the way gta 5 only has 1 "ghetto" character and he actually has the best head on his shoulders than the rest of them).

#15 Posted by jcrame10 (106 posts) -

this post hurts my head.

#16 Posted by sukraj (21604 posts) -

I really enjoyed far cry 3 but if I had a 11 year old I wouldn't let him play GTA V.

#17 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -

Just Cause 2 - huge open world action game and it's a lot of fun.

#18 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Horses not cars but if you do not mind language Red Dead Redemption is open world by rockstar, but with out the forced criminal focused storyline or missions. Very possible to be the good guy. It definitely has some swearing and mature themes, but not urban or whatever word you prefer.

#19 Posted by TanukiNinja (98 posts) -

Has he played Borderlands 2 yet? Open sandbox world and some fun coop play online with friends. Not really too violent and dialogue is somewhat crude but nothing cringe worthy imo.

#20 Posted by jasonredemption (205 posts) -

Just Cause 2 and Sleeping Dogs would be games I would suggest that match your criteria.

#21 Edited by Speak_Low (734 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

this post hurts my head.

You mean the OP's post where he lets his kid play GTA V?

#22 Posted by sukraj (21604 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

this post hurts my head.

You mean the OP's post where he lets his kid play GTA V?

he shouldn't let him play.

#23 Posted by shootinfool73 (15 posts) -

@sukraj:

Uh...people....I dont let him play. That was the point of the post. I have let him play the driving a little (while I was watching him, between missions where there is no story and very little speech from the driver). I play the game mostly at night or early morning when hes not around. He hasnt seen the meat of the game....but saw the driving and running around and fighting cops..much like playing infamous.

#24 Posted by MondasM (1183 posts) -
#25 Posted by jcrame10 (106 posts) -