Getting a PS3. Trouble deciding on games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#1 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

So, I am getting a PS3. Finally decided to. It's been long enough. Only thing is, I am having trouble deciding on what games to pick up.

I have decided I am getting GTA: EFLC, Uncharted 3, and LittleBigPlanet 2. That's not all I am getting, of course, and I was wondering what the Gamespot PS3 forum thought about:

- Killzone 3

- Resistance 3

- Starhawk

- inFamous 1 vs inFamous 2

- Motorstorm Apocalypse

- God of War 3

- Demon's Souls (I <3 Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls doesn't appeal to me as much and I am not sure I want to do it all again...)

and

- Uncharted 2 (considering I am definitely getting Uncharted 3 and I will have so much on my plate to play I may not want two very similar games)

If you could pick 2-3 of the bulleted games, what would they be?

And do Killzone 3, Resistance 3, and Uncharted 3 still have active online communities? What about GTA: EFLC?

EDIT: WOW, I screwed up the text color.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Kind of surprised that this hasn't gotten a response.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i would really like some advice here too, just got one too
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

As far as content and value I would pick Starhawk, UC3 and Demon's Souls. For just pure gameplay I would pick Uncharted 2 (much better singleplayer, better story and characters), God of War 3 and Demon's Souls.

Starhawk because of the online, sure to give you lots of playtime, UC3 has good MP and Demon's Souls has a lot of replay value with new game+ and playing the different classes.

UC3 is very active online, you won't have trouble finding matches. Haven't played Resistance 3 or Killzone 3, but the beta KZ3 was a lot of fun.

PS3 games I would recommend (assuming you both have/had 360's so I won't care to list multiplats) are

• Uncharted dual pack (Uncharted 1/2 + DLC) w/UC3
  • God of War Saga
  • inFamous collection (open world superhero game, superpower is electricity and morality choices correleate to what powers you get)
  • Yakuza 3 and 4 (Japanese brawler. lots of freedom to roam and it's all on foot)
  • Tales of Graces F (action JRPG, animeish with lots of content)
  • MGS4 (don't get this if you haven't played the others)
  • Heavy Rain (interactive movie, outside of moving the character it is 100% QTE')
  • Valkryia Chronicles (SRPG from Sega, graphics is beautiful watercolor)

There are of course plenty of others but either I'm not a fan of them or haven't played them. Killzone series, Resistance series, Gran Turismo 5, White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2, Resonance of Fate, 3D Dot Game Heroes, all the Motorstorms, all the Ratchet and Clank games and some others I can't be bothered to remember. There's also a few loli/moe JRPGs that I would stay away from.

There is of course also the PSN PS1 store (just download old PS1 games onto your HDD, they're 5.99 and 9.99 depending on popularity) and the PS2 Collections.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus

Heavy Rain

I'd recommend these before the others.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. :P

Anyways, I think I have ruled out Demon's Souls, not for any reason other than the fact that I want to try new types of games. I have spent nearly 200 hours over two platforms on Dark Souls since May. I have also ruled out Motorstorm and the inFamous games because they don't interest me as much.

So this brings me to: Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 as far as deep competitive multiplayer is concerned? (I'm curious about this one, I always spring for a good multiplayer FPS alongside the singleplayer and more casual games I usually enjoy.)

And between God of War 3 and Uncharted 3, what would you jump for?

At this very moment, my game picks would be GTA: EFLC, Uncharted 3, LBP2, Resistance 3, and God of War 3. Starhawk would be my next purchase after I spend time on those 5 inital games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I urge you to give InFamous Saga a shot. It's a very well done series. And for $40 you get 3 games. Hell of a deal. God of War saga has 5 games for a similar price, again well worth it. Killzone Saga is coming soon with all three games, including an uprezzed version of the original, again for a budget price. Hold off there. The Rachet and Clank Future games are great fun. Tools of Destruction is probably the stronger of the two, though crack in time is no slouch. Uncharted 2 is defiantly the strongest of the series, and a must play. Motor storm apocalypse is also great. If I would suggest three games you get with the system, it would be InFamous Saga, Resistance 3 and Motorstorm Apocolypse. Come back for the rest through!
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
kz3 community isnt that strong. uc3 seems to have a decent community size..always can find matches (not as good as cod though) r3 dunno. Killzone 3 - cinematic linear first person shooter.. its pretty much a shooting gallery... its alright but resistance 3 is much much much better resistance 3 - one of my fav sp campaigns this gen...great weapons , enemies , levels etc... story is pretty weak..especially compared to the first 2 though god of war 3 - its god of war...if you have played the first 2 and loved them...u should love this one... only 8 hour game though... so if you want something lengthy dont get this. motorstorm apocalypse - decent arcade racing game.. online community isnt that strong...and the 'story' mode is pretty meh..but its still fun infamous 1 - great sandbox superhero game..cant recommend enough infamous 2 - same as above demons souls - not a fan of the series...if you like dark souls i dont see why you wouldnt like this uncharted 2- if you are getting 3..u may as get 2...its just as good starhawk - cant comment i recommend uncharted 2 infamous 1 starhawk i would recommend gow3 and r3 as well...but its best if you play the first 2 games from the series first.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

What do you PSN players play anyways? All I could find when I looked yesterday was that the online communities for Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, and Resistance 3 were "dying". I mean, on Xbox, the exclusives always have a big crowd until the next one comes out! Do ya'll only play Battlefield and Call of Duty?

IC3_C0LD_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 IC3_C0LD_ZERO
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

If you bought the console mostly for the exclusives I'd advise you to get God of War 3, MGS 4, Heavy Rain and Killzone 2 (3 is not that good). The Uncharted games are also great but they have minimal replay value, so it'd be better to rent them or wait till you can find them really cheap . The Infamous games aren't anything special, and I personally hated them both, same goes for Resistance, they are decent shooting games but do not offer anything new to the genre... Motorstorm is a nice arcade racer but it gets old really qucik. And if you're into all that creative stuff you should certainly buy LBP2

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

Get Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Very deep gameplay. Over 200 moves for every character. Over 50 characters to choose from with very deep character customization options. Awsome soundtrack. Infinite combo possibilities with tag assault combos.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Like others have said, the collections and dual packs. Anyone new to Playstation 3 has the best opportunity to play these games since they are cheap and bundled together.

1. God of War Saga $40

• God of War
  • God of War 2
  • God of War 3
  • Chains of Olympus
  • Ghost of Sparta

2. Infamous Collection $40

• Infamous
  • Infamous 2
  • Festival of Blood

3. Uncharted Dual Pack $30 (Collection will probably be released in a year or so with the 3rd game included)

• Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

4. Killzone Collection $40 (Comes out October 23rd)

• Killzone HD
  • Killzone 2
  • Killzone 3

5. Resistance Dual Pack $30 (Again, collection will probably be released at some point with all 3 games)

• Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Resistance 2

Other HD collections are also availabe that are rereleases of classic PS2 titles. Such as:

• Sly Cooper Collection
  • Jak & Daxter Collection
  • Ratchet & Clank Collection
  • Ico & Shadow of the Collossus Collection
  • Prince of Persia Collection
  • Splinter Cell Collection
  • Tomb Raider Collection

Now here are the main exclusives that haven't been touched on, or that aren't included in the collections above are:

• Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • Demons Souls (My personal favorite PS3 game)
  • Uncharted 3
  • Littlebigplanet
  • Littlebigplanet 2
  • Reistance 3
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
  • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
  • Heavy Rain
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • MotorStorm
  • MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
  • MotorStorm: Apocalypse
  • Warhawk
  • Starhawk
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Twisted Metal
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Yakuza 3
  • Yakuza 4
  • Disgaea 3
  • Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes
  • Folklore

Here is a list of upcoming Playstation games as well:

• God of War Ascension
  • The Last of Us
  • Beyond: Two Souls
  • LittleBigPlanet Karting
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
  • Tales of Xillia
  • Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Then there is the PSN exclusive list, not as populated as say Xbox Live or Steam, but there are some heavy hitters here:

• Journey
  • Flower
  • Sound Shapes
  • Wipeout HD
  • Joe Danger
  • Fat Princess
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
  • Dead Nation
  • PixelJunk Shooter
  • PixelJunk Eden
  • Super Stardust HD
  • Papo & Yo

As you can see there is a wide variety of great games that you can choose from. Of course there are also many multi-platform titles that you can enjoy, but if you have either an Xbox 360 or PC they are probably better to play on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Dude, you're the best. That's a good list. Thanks for putting it all in one place.

I found out today from some website that "dead" is not as dead as some people think it is, and that pretty much any recent or last entry game will have a good number of players online. So that frees me up from trying to follow the community. :D

Woohoo, doesn't Killzone 2 have horrible controls from what I have heard?

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Haha no problem, I've been wanting to create one for a while now since my friend is thinking about getting a PS3. I've never really played Killzone 2 online, not really an online gamer myself, but I really enjoyed the actualy single player. Can't remember the controls too much, since it was three years ago. If they are the same in Killzone 3 then I would say they are fine, really loved KZ3's campagin.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I wouldn't say bad controls. They were designed to make the guns feel very weighty, very heavy. Gives the guns more context but if you're used to the standard FPS controls it might be a bit to adjust.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I'd say get Uncharted 2 before 3. 2 is cheaper and was absolutely amazing, while I personally HATED Uncharted 3, I genuinly thought it was awful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

3D Dot Game Heroes!