GDC 2007 will change everything

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JackyBryant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JackyBryant
Member since 2003 • 111 Posts
This is going to be the turning point, where all criticism being levied against the PS3 will stop. Not only is Sony going to show off all the amazing games (in more complete and polished form) that we all know about, but they're going to make a flurry of announcements that will drop jaws. I've heard rumblings about this for a while now.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Sony's going to trounce Microsoft or anything (I'm a multiplatform guy). I just think the months of negativity are going to stop once people see the completeness and strength of Sony's vision at the GDC - and I think it's gonna make EGM's tomato cover look pretty idiotic.

Anybody else agree or am I way off base? Only a few more weeks :)
AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AgentH
Member since 2004 • 4636 Posts
Agree. New MGS4 trailer might show up there too.
VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VonGak
Member since 2003 • 15399 Posts
Um people, GDC isn't for promotion. Heck the press isn't allowed to film.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
It could turn out awsome, or it could turn out to be a complete disaster.  Some things that wouldn't bode well are all the announcements of its major 2007 games being pushed to 2008....

IMO they NEED MGS4, White Knight, and FF13 (Not VS.) and Killzone 2 (Assuming it lives up to its hype) to release this year...I know its wishful thinking but Microsoft's lineup is just too strong to compete with unless you have all of your big guns out on display.  People think Sony has the casual market on lock...I say the Wii is stealing their thunder.  Casuals of a whole new breed are buying the Wii and most will only buy 1 console...

Come on Sony, I don't want this to be a blowout, I don't care who wins out of you and Microsoft but I want to feel the same about the PS3 as I do about the 360 right now.  To me, that would be absolute gaming perfection.
Takiwara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Takiwara
Member since 2006 • 1150 Posts
It could turn out awsome, or it could turn out to be a complete disaster. Some things that wouldn't bode well are all the announcements of its major 2007 games being pushed to 2008....

IMO they NEED MGS4, White Knight, and FF13 (Not VS.) and Killzone 2 (Assuming it lives up to its hype) to release this year...I know its wishful thinking but Microsoft's lineup is just too strong to compete with unless you have all of your big guns out on display. People think Sony has the casual market on lock...I say the Wii is stealing their thunder. Casuals of a whole new breed are buying the Wii and most will only buy 1 console...

Come on Sony, I don't want this to be a blowout, I don't care who wins out of you and Microsoft but I want to feel the same about the PS3 as I do about the 360 right now. To me, that would be absolute gaming perfection.
TheSystemLord1
Well in IMO i think Sony's doing fine. I dont agree with you on Microsoft's lineup being that strong that it puts Sony in danger though it is strong. Time will tell. But for now i just want march to come.
JackyBryant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JackyBryant
It could turn out awsome, or it could turn out to be a complete disaster. Some things that wouldn't bode well are all the announcements of its major 2007 games being pushed to 2008....

IMO they NEED MGS4, White Knight, and FF13 (Not VS.) and Killzone 2 (Assuming it lives up to its hype) to release this year...I know its wishful thinking but Microsoft's lineup is just too strong to compete with unless you have all of your big guns out on display. People think Sony has the casual market on lock...I say the Wii is stealing their thunder. Casuals of a whole new breed are buying the Wii and most will only buy 1 console...

Come on Sony, I don't want this to be a blowout, I don't care who wins out of you and Microsoft but I want to feel the same about the PS3 as I do about the 360 right now. To me, that would be absolute gaming perfection.
TheSystemLord1

I've got a bad feeling about MGS4 and FFXIII this year.. in fact, I'd be willing to lay money down that these won't see the light of day in 2007. But I'd love to be proven wrong. I think the way it'll go is Sony really stepping up to the plate as a contender. Their strength is really in their ability to deliver really interesting and ambitious gameplay experiences (these were the most successful projects on PS2) and I think Sony's ability to fund innovation and take changes will really play out at GDC.

And you're right.. it's not a press conference, it's a game developer's conference. But I think people take it all the more seriously for that reason. Sony has some big guns under it's coat, and I think it's just learned its lesson about flashing them before they're really ready (E3 2005 anyone?). So I think they've waited until now.

Mind you, I'm thinking Microsoft is going to counterattack with the announcement of the black, HDMI supporting, 120 GB 360, so the battle will certainly become more interesting. Can't wait ;)
thedarkomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thedarkomen
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts
I don't think Sony was ever in trouble.
JackyBryant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JackyBryant
I don't think Sony was ever in trouble.thedarkomen

Agreed, man. I'm more talking about public perception. Their image and PR has been taking a beating lately, and that's really what I think is gonna start to recuperate.