Gamespot and The Last of Us

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by robertoenrique (1158 posts) -

Ok guys, I still can't believe these self-righteous dicks gave this game and 8.0 . Seriously what was the reviewer thinking (dont know his name dont care), was he trying to be controversial? Is he new in Gamespot? To me, The Last of Us, was the leap video games needed. Naughty Dog has set the stage for new games to come, just like Half-Life did back in its day. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by MethodManFTW (25385 posts) -
Sigh... It is just one guys opinion. And he did really like the game, 8.0 means great.
#3 Posted by robertoenrique (1158 posts) -
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Sigh... It is just one guys opinion. And he did really like the game, 8.0 means great.

Seriously an 8.0 in GS means a somewhat good but mediocre game.
#4 Posted by MethodManFTW (25385 posts) -
[QUOTE="robertoenrique"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Sigh... It is just one guys opinion. And he did really like the game, 8.0 means great.

Seriously an 8.0 in GS means a somewhat good but mediocre game.

http://www.gamespot.com/the-last-of-us/ No, that is not what a 8.0 means. It might be how idiots in system wars interpret it, but it is not what is meant. Look right below the 8.0 on the review page I linked.
#5 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

First of all, the reviewer's name is Tom McShea, and he's famous for being an idiot. Other reviewers on Gamespot are good.

Secondly, an 8.0 is a meh review. I don't care what it says next to the number on a review page. I think I only found one game this gen that scored lower than an 8 that I enjoyed (Wolfenstein). 8 = play it if it looks like your kind of game. 9 = must play unless it's totally not your type of game. 10 = masterpiece.

#6 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9289 posts) -
The reason Tom McShea gave the game 8.0 was cuz he said that he hated Joel from the start of the game. He said he considered Joel one of the worst characters ever, in movies and in games, even before the final scene. And he also didnt get or understood alot of things in the game and when the othe GS staff tried to explain it to him or give him a different view point, all he kept saying was "well I dont see that way..."
#7 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

I loved the game. One persons opinion didnt change that fact for me and didnt stop me from liking.

People tend to care way too much about what other people think. If everyone only worried about what they enjoy, instead of worrying about other people who dont like the same thing then this would be a much nicer world to live in.

#8 Posted by MethodManFTW (25385 posts) -
Secondly, an 8.0 is a meh review. I don't care what it says next to the number on a review page. I think I only found one game this gen that scored lower than an 8 that I enjoyed (Wolfenstein). 8 = play it if it looks like your kind of game. 9 = must play unless it's totally not your type of game. 10 = masterpiece.DaRq_MiNoS
I have tooooons of games Gamespot has reviewed lower than a 8 that I really enjoy, and I've played Wolfenstein and though it sucked. It is almost like different people can have wildly different opinions on the quality of games. It is crazy to me that people put so much stock into one persons opinion.
#9 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7321 posts) -

First of all, the reviewer's name is Tom McShea, and he's famous for being an idiot. Other reviewers on Gamespot are good.

Secondly, an 8.0 is a meh review. I don't care what it says next to the number on a review page. I think I only found one game this gen that scored lower than an 8 that I enjoyed (Wolfenstein). 8 = play it if it looks like your kind of game. 9 = must play unless it's totally not your type of game. 10 = masterpiece.

DaRq_MiNoS
I'm sorry, but you're an idiot.
#10 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

Actually, I'm a member of Mensa.

#11 Posted by Videodogg (12548 posts) -

Who gives a fuk what Gamespot thinks? 

#12 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7321 posts) -

[QUOTE="AvatarMan96"][QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

DaRq_MiNoS

So that's why you're here, wasting your time trolling a gaming forum, right?
#13 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

[QUOTE="AvatarMan96"] I'm sorry, but you're an idiot.AvatarMan96

Who's trolling?

#14 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7321 posts) -

[QUOTE="AvatarMan96"][QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

DaRq_MiNoS

Who's trolling?

The quality Mensa member right here. Screw it, I'm done feeding the troll :roll:
#15 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2396 posts) -

I kind of agree with an 8 score.  Ellie always got in the way and she never shut up even when clickers were around, so I'd be listening for them and she'd be talking but wouldn't be heard and all I had to do was move an inch too fast and boom, dead.  The first half went on forever and really the story isn't anything amazing (oh no a zombie, excuse me, infected, outbreak has occured).  The gameplay didn't really pick up until about halfway through when the AI seems to magically get better.  A lot of little things definitely bring the game to an 8/8.5 for me.

I don't like how sites are putting down Bioshock Infinite for being too much like a video game (with random items being in desks and the like) but I still think it's the best game this gen, so don't take one review personally.

#16 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

[QUOTE="AvatarMan96"] So that's why you're here, wasting your time trolling a gaming forum, right?AvatarMan96

Who's trolling?

The quality Mensa member right here. Screw it, I'm done feeding the troll :roll:

lol, I'm guessing there's a 72% chance that you are Tom McShea :D

#17 Posted by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

Ok guys, I still can't believe these self-righteous dicks gave this game and 8.0 . Seriously what was the reviewer thinking (dont know his name dont care), was he trying to be controversial? Is he new in Gamespot? To me, The Last of Us, was the leap video games needed. Naughty Dog has set the stage for new games to come, just like Half-Life did back in its day. What do you guys think?

robertoenrique

Essentially: "Wahhhh my favorite game didn't get a 9.5"

People are so focused on the score that they kind of forgot to read the review and actually address the points in the review.

#18 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

Yeah it opinion. I think its underrated at 8.0, but what can you do. Just one review.

#19 Posted by marcheegsr (2431 posts) -

These days reviews aren't anything but a personal opinion. If i listened to alot of reviews, I would have missed out on alot of games I enjoyed that scored below 8.0.

Examples are : The sabateour, Need for speed shift 2, Midnight club LA, Fallout New vegas, NFS most wanted 2013, Deadly premoniton.

Bottom line. I do read reviews but not to make a judgment on whether to play a game or not.

#20 Posted by sssb (465 posts) -

dude, do you like the game? let gamespot diving in their stupied review 

#21 Posted by ultimameteora (2573 posts) -
At least there's a demo so people can judge for themselves.
#22 Posted by robertoenrique (1158 posts) -

I loved the game. One persons opinion didnt change that fact for me and didnt stop me from liking.

People tend to care way too much about what other people think. If everyone only worried about what they enjoy, instead of worrying about other people who dont like the same thing then this would be a much nicer world to live in.

Gargus

Actually no. Its not just one person's opinion, his idiotic excuse for an 8.0 is backed by GS. I mean, how can you be such an @sshole that just because you didn't like the main character your opinion is influencing an important online video game website? This kid was by no means was in any position to review this game and of course this is GS's fault. Also reviews are the life and blood of video games. Naughty Dog did one heck of a job on The Last of Us even on a platform that 's reaching the end of its lifecycle.

#23 Posted by ManatuBeard (935 posts) -

Tom McShit review = ignore and check IGN/Eurogamer review

I think he desperately needs to get laid to improve his humour...

#24 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

robertoenrique

Actually no. Its not just one person's opinion, his idiotic excuse for an 8.0 is backed by GS. I mean, how can you be such an @sshole that just because you didn't like the main character your opinion is influencing an important online video game website? This kid was by no means was in any position to review this game and of course this is GS's fault. Also reviews are the life and blood of video games. Naughty Dog did one heck of a job on The Last of Us even on a platform that 's reaching the end of its lifecycle.

Great Question: Ask it of yourself. You can't be serious, gotta be trolling... If not - Get a LIFE... Geezus H. Kreist, dude! Get into some THERAPY... It's a VIIIIDDEEEOOOO-GAAAAAAME.

:lol:

#25 Posted by GamerNerdTalk (303 posts) -

I personally never liked The Last of Us very much at all. Not sure why, it is everything i could want in a game.... I guess I was too mind blown with Bioshock Infinite to take anything this game had to offer seriously

#26 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6213 posts) -

I don't even have a PS3 but I had to come in to tell you TC that you an idiot. Seriously, lots of games that score under an 8 are actually very good games.

And someone giving a game a different score than you doesn't make them an idot.

#27 Posted by darklight4 (321 posts) -

I don't care about a score as long as the review is well written and gives us the info we want to know about. 

#28 Posted by SoNin360 (5213 posts) -

I don't care about a score as long as the review is well written and gives us the info we want to know about. 

darklight4
I think that's one thing he failed at doing, providing the info we want to know about. To me, it seemed he babbled on about things that weren't too important, things that don't really help the person interested in the game. I don't feel his complaints really justified the score, but he seems like one to get caught up on smaller things more than some people. This will be the review people will always give him shit for, but I kind of feel it's deserved to an extent, not just because of the score, but because the review wasn't particularly helpful.
#29 Posted by Asim90 (3692 posts) -

It was reviewed by the guy who gave inFamous 2 a 7.5, what do you expect?

#30 Posted by sukraj (21641 posts) -

i dont pay much attention to gamespot reviews.

#31 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13932 posts) -
Tom McShea, this generation of gaming's George Wood except I don't think he'll ever reach the level of so bad its amazing that George Wood did he's just bad
#32 Posted by shaunchgo (4605 posts) -
Tom is the same guy that reviewed one of the previous NCAA Football games. He mentioned the game being buggy (squiggly lines) while playing in the opposing teams stadium. It's not a bug. Ever since that review, I never took him serious. He was obviously unfamiliar with the franchise. Anyway, as long as you enjoyed the Last of Us, that's all that matters.
#33 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Did you enjoy the game less because it got an 8 on GameSpot?
#34 Posted by gameofthering (9978 posts) -

The score seems about right to me.

It's a "Great" game.

#35 Posted by Jakesta7 (2413 posts) -

I don't have a problem with the gentleman's opinion, nor do I think an 8 is anything but great. However, I do not think he justified the score that well in his review. Anyways, who cares... The game is fantastic, IMO, so I play it.

#36 Posted by chocolate1325 (32368 posts) -

I thought I'd seen the last of this topic an 8 so what it didn't stop people buying it.

#37 Posted by robertoenrique (1158 posts) -

I don't even have a PS3 but I had to come in to tell you TC that you an idiot. Seriously, lots of games that score under an 8 are actually very good games.

And someone giving a game a different score than you doesn't make them an idot.

speedfreak48t5p
I never called him an idiot, I did call him an @sshole. So, my idiot friend without a PS3, buy one play The Last of Us and then post back.
#38 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

robertoenrique

Millions of people think mcdonalds has good food.

Millions think dancing with the stars is great television.

Millions think transformers is a really great movie.

Millions think that britney spears is a good singer.

Millions think that ford and chevy make the best vehicles in the world.

Millions think scientology is awesome.

But I dont agree with any of them, so I really dont care what GS users think of a game I like.

Just because you think something is great doesnt mean everyone has to.

If you want to disagree with something Ill give you a hint. Calling people names, blaming people and generally acting like an immature brat doesnt exactly help your care any and acting like that wont convince anyone of anything.

I loved last of us, best game in years but if others dont like it I dont care because I enjoyed it, and to me thats all that matters.

#39 Posted by thetravman (3510 posts) -

I'm the minority when I say it is a 'great' game, not an amazing one. The game suffered with pacing issues. I was pushing myself through the first 5 hours of the game which meant it left a bad first impression. I also loathed the ladder-plank-raft sections and there was enough of them to irritate me after a while. But once the upgrades settled in and the story finally got interesting, I was hooked. I won't forget its flaws though.

#40 Posted by -Vulpix- (2375 posts) -

I find it pretty sad the number of people on this site crying over a review score, would of love to see what happen if they gave the game a 3.0 or lower imagine the chaos that would unfold.

As for the review I don't buy my games based off of someone else's opinion anyway so I don't really care what score a game gets.

#41 Posted by Basinboy (10930 posts) -

First, games don't need arbitrary numbers associated with them in order to be fun.  The opinion that matters most is your own.

Secondly, it happens all the time across various mediums - music, tv, movies, games. etc.  There's always going to be somebody who doesn't like the game for what it is.

And lastly, yes, I feel McShea overvalues the faults and undervalues its successes.  But hey, it draws hits to the site.

#42 Posted by Eazy1891 (3071 posts) -
Tom McShea is the troll reviewer/writer of the site. All sites have at least one. Writing this is giving him what he wants.
#43 Posted by firefox59 (4319 posts) -

[QUOTE="darklight4"]

SoNin360

I think that's one thing he failed at doing, providing the info we want to know about. To me, it seemed he babbled on about things that weren't too important, things that don't really help the person interested in the game. I don't feel his complaints really justified the score, but he seems like one to get caught up on smaller things more than some people. This will be the review people will always give him shit for, but I kind of feel it's deserved to an extent, not just because of the score, but because the review wasn't particularly helpful.

At least he tried to give reasons for his reviews score though. There are (and were for this game) a bunch of sites that list problems with games and talk about these issues then give the game a 9.0 or higher. I read these reviews that talk about all this crap that's wrong and then because of the AAA nature and expected hype of the game it gets a high score. I hate it when sites do that and it happens all the time.

Idc what you guys thought of The Last of Us, it nor almost any game ever, does not deserve the number of 10s that it got. It's not perfect.

#44 Posted by sukraj (21641 posts) -

[QUOTE="SoNin360"][QUOTE="darklight4"]

firefox59

At least he tried to give reasons for his reviews score though. There are (and were for this game) a bunch of sites that list problems with games and talk about these issues then give the game a 9.0 or higher. I read these reviews that talk about all this crap that's wrong and then because of the AAA nature and expected hype of the game it gets a high score. I hate it when sites do that and it happens all the time.

Idc what you guys thought of The Last of Us, it nor almost any game ever, does not deserve the number of 10s that it got. It's not perfect.

i agree but it deserved a higher score than an 8.0

#45 Posted by SolidTy (41562 posts) -

McShea'd. The Game was McShea'd.

He goes against the grain. For instance, he gave Halo ODST a 9 when the metascore was lower, and gave Infamous and Zelda lower scores when the meta was higher.

McShea'd.

#47 Posted by SolidTy (41562 posts) -

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

[QUOTE="SoNin360"] I think that's one thing he failed at doing, providing the info we want to know about. To me, it seemed he babbled on about things that weren't too important, things that don't really help the person interested in the game. I don't feel his complaints really justified the score, but he seems like one to get caught up on smaller things more than some people. This will be the review people will always give him shit for, but I kind of feel it's deserved to an extent, not just because of the score, but because the review wasn't particularly helpful.sukraj

I found out the other day he doesn't own the Last of Us or a PS3. He also is not a Naughty Dog fan he posted in the past, many suspect it's because they are owned by Sony. There are a lot of games over the years that have garnered amazing amount of "10s" including games from Bungie, Nintendo, Blizzard, and more. This year, Bioshock Infinite also got a lot of "10s", it's just that The Last of Us came out of left field to be a contender as well. Some people just cherry pick why X developer doesn't deserve great reviews despite having played their games, while they maintain silence when their platform gets those kinds of reviews. It's good that Sony has amazing talent with ND. It's great for gamers.

#48 Posted by robertoenrique (1158 posts) -

[QUOTE="sukraj"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] At least he tried to give reasons for his reviews score though. There are (and were for this game) a bunch of sites that list problems with games and talk about these issues then give the game a 9.0 or higher. I read these reviews that talk about all this crap that's wrong and then because of the AAA nature and expected hype of the game it gets a high score. I hate it when sites do that and it happens all the time.

SolidTy

I found out the other day he doesn't own the Last of Us or a PS3. He also is not a Naughty Dog fan he posted in the past, many suspect it's because they are owned by Sony. There are a lot of games over the years that have garnered amazing amount of "10s" including games from Bungie, Nintendo, Blizzard, and more. This year, Bioshock Infinite also got a lot of "10s", it's just that The Last of Us came out of left field to be a contender as well. Some people just cherry pick why X developer doesn't deserve great reviews despite having played their games, while they maintain silence when their platform gets those kinds of reviews. It's good that Sony has amazing talent with ND. It's great for gamers.

Agreed.
#49 Posted by gregbmil (2584 posts) -

After playting through the game I think 8 is a fair score.   It did have a lot of boring parts and alot of looking around only to find nothing plus Joel is not likeable at all.   I tried a second playthrough but it was to much of a bore.   I did want to go though and find the rest of the collectable on New Game+ but soon found out that the ones you find the first time don't carry over into New Game+.   

Multiplayer makes my back hurt from seeing my charater always crouching down.   So I gave up, I need to sell it while it's still worth something

I would maybe give it a 7 and I'm really wondering why it got so many perfect scores.  I know alot of people disagree but it's just how I feel