Folklore - your opinions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 0

#1 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

Alright, I've been interested in the title since they first showed it off.

So, I downloaded the demo the day I got my PS3 and LOVE IT! The art style is amazing, battle system rocks and the storytelling kept me hooked. However, I've refused to play the demo again as I'd rather play through the full game.

I'm really tempted to buy it...renting it is an option but i'd rather buy RPG/Adventure games cause i'll either go back a second time....and I generally take a good month or 2 to finish a 15+ hr game...I dont want to rent it, only play a small portion and have to return it...only to re-rent it at a later time. I've watched and read many reviews but they haven't really helped me decide if this is worth my money. A lot of the complaints from some reviewers are easily overlooked (linearpaths, comicbook storytelling, some split second freezes)

So I have a couple of questions:

How long is the game?

What would you say is the percentage of battle gameplay vs talking/searching?

Do you think its worth $50?

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

i think its very much worth it, the game is about 16hours long, although you could easily get more out of it, and with DLC its only gonna get better.

The balance of battling to talking/searching is just right, and the story is very well put together.

Avatar image for JustWiicredible
JustWiicredible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JustWiicredible
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts

It's an excellent buy if you can get it cheap. It's no Zelda killer but at least it tries something new, not being the spikey haired kids save the world kinda thing. The art direction is pretty cool and theres plenty of DLC to make the game last longer. Worth playing!

adumar94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 adumar94
Member since 2004 • 826 Posts

I thought the game was great. It probably took me close to 20 hours to finish it (I tried to max out most of my ids). I imagine that it could be a lot shorter if you use a walkthrough and don't bother leveling up.

There is much more fighting than talking/searching. You are pretty much told exactly who to talk to or where to search for something, so that doesn't take a lot of time. I'd say that fighting takes up %80-%90 of the time.

I really enjoyed the story, so if you like the type of fighting in the demo, it's worth the money. I paid $60 for it, and I don't regret it.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chex81

Is the DLC free?

I read somewhere the DLC is extra missions, which is cool...I personally don't care for costumes and useless crap.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Well I have played only a good couple of hrs like 4 and I love the game. The story is interesting, the gameplay is fun and the graphics are really beautiful. YOu will spend alot of time leveling up your folks and the 2 characters get different folks for the most part so its diverse. Also it seems the dev care about the game since they keep realising good DLC. I suggest you buy the DLCbundle thats only 6 bucks. I woudl put in more hours a day,but I have a job and it just drains me.

I also suggest if you buy it the order you should play in with the charactes is first the girl then guy then girl and so on since after each chapter you can swich characters.

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts

Is the DLC free?

I read somewhere the DLC is extra missions, which is cool...I personally don't care for costumes and useless crap.

chex81

No.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 finalfantasy94

Is the DLC free?

chex81

Well the holiday pack is free which includes 1 new folk,1 new outfit and one new mission each character. The 6 buck bundle is worth it. Its a 1 new outfit for the girl a new transformation look for the guy,4 new missions each character and 1 new folk each character.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chex81
[QUOTE="chex81"]

Is the DLC free?

finalfantasy94

Well the holiday pack is free which includes 1 new folk,1 new outfit and one new mission each character. The 6 buck bundle is worth it. Its a 1 new outfit for the girl a new transformation look for the guy,4 new missions each character and 1 new folk each character.

thats not bad at all....VERY cool

so it's worth it eh? I'll pick it up tonight...I was stuck between this game and Heavenly Sword...but since HS is only 6 hrs i'll pass.

Thanks for all your help guys

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aznfool07
I think the only problem I have with this game is that it slows down during boss battles sometimes and the how it freezes for a few seconds after you changed your folks. I don't really mind it anymore though.
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts
I thought it was a unique game, haven't finished it yet, I have so many games to play right now that it's hard to commit to playing one
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
Its fun to play, has a good story, and alot of downloadable content.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chex81

I think the only problem I have with this game is that it slows down during boss battles sometimes and the how it freezes for a few seconds after you changed your folks. I don't really mind it anymore though.aznfool07

ya, I was concerned about this....but after IGN showed examples of this "freezing" I was happy to see its shorter than I expected. I've dealt with worse freezing on some 360 games.

kailman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kailman123
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts
dont know anything exept that its a good game. finished the demo a long time ago(psu demo mabye in summer).
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TerroRizing

[QUOTE="aznfool07"]I think the only problem I have with this game is that it slows down during boss battles sometimes and the how it freezes for a few seconds after you changed your folks. I don't really mind it anymore though.chex81

ya, I was concerned about this....but after IGN showed examples of this "freezing" I was happy to see its shorter than I expected. I've dealt with worse freezing on some 360 games.

You can install the game, it makes the freezing better. For some reason changing folk always causes a second or two delay though.

anopolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anopolis
Member since 2003 • 153 Posts
The reason for the delay is because it has to pull the folk off of the disk or hdrive its never been longer than 2 seconds so its never been much of a bother, its way better than the psone version of mk3 using shang tsung... pretty good game.. for some reason though I've found myself unable to play for more than an hour or so... ya just lose interest, and it takes a day or so for it to build back up. anybody else feel the same?
adumar94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 adumar94

The freezing didn't bother me too much except when there are several crystals that weren't of the same elements as the monsters you were just fighting. That did get a little annoying, but it was pretty rare.

Chocograph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chocograph
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts
Didn't bother with any extra quests. Did one just to try it out. Spent 16 hours on the game. 50/50 combat/story but it feels like it's 60-70% story. To me anyways. When starting it I knew I had to play through the same areas with the other character. It wasn't all that cool. For the sequel I want to play as one character only. The music was ok but repetitive. The story was really boring. I really tried to like the game but I found myself reading the story as fast as I could just to get to the next chapter. I didn't skip anything I just read it really fast. I got it for christmas and was going to exhange it but after reading and watching a lot of reviews I decided to give it ago. I don't regret it, but I'm not going back to play it again either.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chex81

Didn't bother with any extra quests. Did one just to try it out. Spent 16 hours on the game. 50/50 combat/story but it feels like it's 60-70% story. To me anyways. When starting it I knew I had to play through the same areas with the other character. It wasn't all that cool. For the sequel I want to play as one character only. The music was ok but repetitive. The story was really boring. I really tried to like the game but I found myself reading the story as fast as I could just to get to the next chapter. I didn't skip anything I just read it really fast. I got it for christmas and was going to exhange it but after reading and watching a lot of reviews I decided to give it ago. I don't regret it, but I'm not going back to play it again either.Chocograph

thanks for the honest opinions...and ya, im a little concerned that I really enjoyed the demo but the full game might just be "too much" for me. I'm not generally into Japanese RPG type games, especially story-driven games.

I am really on the fence....one minute im stoked to pick it up, but the next I have doubts. Thats why I haven't rushed to go buy it....its not the opinions of others, but more trying to figure out if it will keep me hooked.

Would you guys recommend any other PS3 games instead?

I'll let you know I only have Warhawk and UT3, hence the reason I really want a single player game...I've downloaded demos

-Uncharted (which is ok but my boss is going to lend me his copy)

-Heavenly Sword, love the demo (must have played it 10 times now)...I dont mind it being short but dont know if ill go back to play the other difficult levels

-Resistence, to be honest...meh...plus i have enough shooters

-Ratchet, demos really fun but it seems way too easy

I have a 360, so avoid any games that're multiplatform...I'm open to all suggestions

RandomTask221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 RandomTask221
Member since 2005 • 7795 Posts

Honestly, the graphics are great and the story seems intresting.... BUT the linear gameplay and text talking killed it for me.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
pretty cool game, it is too bad I traded it before download content came out. It is pretty unique story and the motion control works pretty well. It's too bad it's sales are bad, which probably means that they won't make another atleast on ps3 anyway.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TerroRizing
Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted are all fun single player games. Heavenly Sword is only around 5 hours though.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chex81

was the 5 hrs of heavenly sword at least incredible?...

Lets keep in mind the last action beat-em-up game I played was Ninja Gaiden for Xbox...and i thought it was incredible. Before that, DMC1...So many of you probably felt the "been there, done that" with Heavenly Sword (with games like God of War and DMC3) which i've missed.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TerroRizing

was the 5 hrs of heavenly sword at least incredible?...

Lets keep in mind the last action beat-em-up game I played was Ninja Gaiden for Xbox...and i thought it was incredible. Before that, DMC1...So many of you probably felt the "been there, done that" with Heavenly Sword (with games like God of War and DMC3) which i've missed.

chex81

Its not as good as Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, but its fun and worth playing.

kratos_q80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kratos_q80
Member since 2007 • 920 Posts
folklore : 9/10 must buy and its a very long game if you do the bough charecters
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
Ok so far im in chapter 4 with Ellen and Keats. The game is pretty long, I already put in 20-25 hours so far. 80% battle vs 20% explore/Talking i would say. I think its worth $50, I would rate the game about 8-8.5 out of 10. A good game. Pluses: Great graphics, Music, and creative combat system. Minuses: Can get a little repetitive going thru each chapter twice, some people dont like the comic book cutscenes but I do.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chex81

alrighty, i dont really expect it to be as good as Ninja Gaiden or DMC...I was thinking of buying Sigma, but I already beat NG twice on Xbox so i'm passing. Im definitely getting DMC4.

I guess im going to my local videostore tonight to see if they have any used cheap copies...im thinking it'll be cheaper and easier to find folklore (not as popular) compared to HS, but I do want both games. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

If you get Folklore, you won't regret it. It's a decent single player, fantasy, action, RPG, adventure game. It has good gameplay (my opinion). It's not short (I personally don't think so). Also, it has several add-ons avaiable in the PS store right now (not free). If you really want the game, buy it. There aren't too many good games out right now that aren't shooters.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
The text does piss me off. Especially because the cut scenes have such awesome voice acting. Especially Ellen. Still like the game though. I really need to finish it.
adumar94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 adumar94

The text does piss me off. Especially because the cut scenes have such awesome voice acting. Especially Ellen. Still like the game though. I really need to finish it.mbrockway

I would have liked voice while conversing with the characters, but I really liked the comic book style cutscenes. Of course the FMV cutscenes that you mention were very good, and Ellen was definitely my favorite, also.

rosswg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rosswg
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts

So far Im loving this game, but I am finding the story a little confusing.. Probably because I am only on chapter 2, I will have to give it time :D.

Anyway its a great game (from what I can tell so far). If you loved the demo you will love the game.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94

So far Im loving this game, but I am finding the story a little confusing.. Probably because I am only on chapter 2, I will have to give it time :D.

Anyway its a great game (from what I can tell so far). If you loved the demo you will love the game.

rosswg

Whats the order of the characters you play as? Since it makes more sense if you swich between ellen and keats after each mission.

AlienOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 AlienOverlord
Member since 2003 • 790 Posts

I really like Heavenly Sword and it would be a good game for them to package with the PS3 but if you can rent it that is your best choice. Having played through it once I thought I might go back and try to get everything, but I only replayed a few sections and the loading time stopped me from playing more sections. In the end I went back to playing my NBA 2K7 season until I got some other games.

Ratchet and Clank is really quite easy but it is also really fun, the weapons are great and it's fun upgrading them. Definitely buy this over HS.

I have thought about buying Folklore and I enjoyed the demos but it felt a bit repetitive and the collecting wasn't as fun as it could be. If this game were online I think the collecting would be more interesting.

FFF4N4T1C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 FFF4N4T1C
Member since 2005 • 925 Posts
I think I'm going to pick this game up soon too, after I finish Tales of the Abyss. But I don't think you should be completely swayed from Heavenly Sword because of its length. You can get more gameplay time than 6 hours out of it, and it's really an awesome game that is at the same time beautiful.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Depending on what sales Best Buy has to offer on Sunday, I'll buy Folklore then. I can get it for $40 after discounts and reward $. Either that or Uncharted.
aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aznfool07
[QUOTE="chex81"]

[QUOTE="aznfool07"]I think the only problem I have with this game is that it slows down during boss battles sometimes and the how it freezes for a few seconds after you changed your folks. I don't really mind it anymore though.TerroRizing

You can install the game, it makes the freezing better. For some reason changing folk always causes a second or two delay though.

I did install it and its about the same IMO.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chex81

i didn't get a chance to go pick up either game...im thinking i'll just wait until Folklore is $20 (im hoping thats soon, most likely used).

I played a lot of heavenly Sword last night....i just figured out if you hold down L1 or R1 you get different styles...that got me hooked even more. I love this demo but can't imagine spending $50 on a 5 hour game...so it looks like its a bargin bin watcher too.

Man, i just want a decent length single player game for my PS3...Ratchet has me interested but i'd rent that one first (to make sure i dont get bored quickly). I think im just going to do some bargin searching cause these games are too short to spend $50 on.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chex81

picked up Ratchet instead...i was concerned folklore wouldn't last me too long plus it will be cheaper in the summer (im sure)

ratchet is actually very fun....but im afraid im almost done already (clocked maybe 4 hours...)

Darkest93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darkest93
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts

the game is awesome, it has a really cool story about murders and stuff, and collecting folks is fun. However the fighting does get a bit repetitive but the story gets you to finish the game for its interesting twists.