First Impressions on Lightning Returns demo.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by GuitarSmash (207 posts) -

Note: I only played the first-half of XIII-2 from the whole trilogy, so im not up-to-date with the story or anything, but here is what i thought of the demo.

-VASTLY improved combat system. This has to be the best improvement and it immersed me into the combat more than ever, but i hope they ramp up the enemy difficulty or at least have multiple difficulty settings.

-Graphics are meh, but the cutscenes are great as always. But the design is excellent.

-Inventory seems to be the worst part.... REALLY?! only 6 items can only be carried?!?!!

Overall, i was really impressed by the demo, especially the new combat system! I hope XV will build upon it when they show more in-depth videos of the combat. I might actually preorder it considerin how fun it was to play. It might even be the best of the trilogy (defenitely more than XIII considering the fanbase's feedback torwards it)

What did you guys think of it? What else did i miss out on the demo that impressed you guys?

#2 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70684 posts) -

THe game looks good, hopefully it is

#3 Posted by WR_Platinum (4666 posts) -

I like the ability to take some screenshots of the game, a nice small addition. The combat system is very different from XII and XIII-2, bt I welcome the nice change SE made. The graphics is one thing I'm surprised how bad it looks compared to XIII-2, which both really are not better than XIII. Since I played both, I'm getting this to see the final conclusion of the series.

#4 Posted by murstdurst (303 posts) -

I think it is better than ff XIII but that isn't saying much... and it is indeed still a really bad game. It's sad to see what square enix has done to this series. They should just stop it already. The lone fact that they make 3 games in the worst FF universe to date is saying it all. :'(

#5 Edited by yixingtpot (1383 posts) -

not touching it until it's $10 or less, after the entire Versus insult I gave up on SquarEnix for good. They'll have to earn my money from now on with a new Parasite Eve 4 of the highest quality possibly or something of that nature. I bought the crap that is FF13.2 deluxe edition with soundtrack and the special guide, never even touch the game it's so dumbed down for Xbroke dvd player, never again.

#6 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2419 posts) -

it was ok.

Liked the combat system but didn't what the hell is going on

#7 Posted by cooolio (451 posts) -

@yixingtpot:

Versus insult? Do you not like how the game looks?

#8 Posted by CTR360 (6983 posts) -

looks good for me i buy it

#9 Edited by TheFlush (5516 posts) -

I actually liked the gameplay of XIII and XIII-2, the fact that they now made it into an action game more or less is not something positive to me. I'm still going to try it though, so maybe I'll change my opinion. But the worst part of the whole XIII franchise is that the story is such a bullshit convoluted mess! What's up with those Japanese writers? It isn't that hard to write a story that actually makes sense, the story of especially XIII-2 is just a mess.

#10 Posted by yixingtpot (1383 posts) -

@cooolio said:

@yixingtpot:

Versus insult? Do you not like how the game looks?

that's not what I meant, it's insulting the way they strung and entire console generation along by promising it would be amazingly exclusive to the PS3 features and specs, then just announced it was going next gen multi platform. That's insulting to me as a PS3 owner, sure I own the PS4 and Wii U now and will more than likely buy it for the PS4 unless the Wii U offers some type of unique gameplay mechanic utilizing the Wii U gamepad, but that doesn't seem likely so I'll be getting if for the PS4.

#11 Posted by cooolio (451 posts) -

@yixingtpot:

Ok I understand, but I am pretty sure that that its only available on the PS4 and XBOXONE. There is no way the Wii U can handle what was shown at E3.

#12 Edited by yixingtpot (1383 posts) -

@cooolio: sure I'll have to check out the latest footage? I liked what I saw previously but got turned off when they pulled that stuff by moving it over to next gen systems. I understand some were happy with that? To me it will just be more BS, "oh well sure, the PS4 IS more powerful... JUST LIKE the PS3 was more powerful and feature rich than the Xbox 2 bbbbbbut we'll just make it for the Xboner and port it with not additional effort to the PS4, why upgrade anything?... that takes WORK, and M$ paid us not to care"

no, I'm not joking... that's what I believe and know is reality of the current gaming industry. How many times did it need to happen regarding PS3 for people not to get it? seriously I figured out that you could fit RE5, RE6 AND RE Operation Raccoon City onto ONE BLU-RAY DISC, RE5=probably 8GB, RE6=11GB and Raccoon City=4.3GB it could all be put on one damn Sony Blu-ray disc. What that means for the unintelligent is that they were all developed for the Xbox2 dvd level, not PS3 Blu-ray level gaming scale. Not just graphics, but scale of the game... game length, story length etc.

#13 Posted by desperados988 (8 posts) -

Finished the XIII and then I got tired after 2 hours playing the XIII-2. I think the worst FF ever. I think I won't try LR, because I simply don't like this new FFs.

#14 Posted by cooolio (451 posts) -

@yixingtpot:

@cooolio: sure I'll have to check out the latest footage? I liked what I saw previously but got turned off when they pulled that stuff by moving it over to next gen systems. I understand some were happy with that? To me it will just be more BS, "oh well sure, the PS4 IS more powerful... JUST LIKE the PS3 was more powerful and feature rich than the Xbox 2 bbbbbbut we'll just make it for the Xboner and port it with not additional effort to the PS4, why upgrade anything?... that takes WORK, and M$ paid us not to care"

no, I'm not joking... that's what I believe and know is reality of the current gaming industry. How many times did it need to happen regarding PS3 for people not to get it? seriously I figured out that you could fit RE5, RE6 AND RE Operation Raccoon City onto ONE BLU-RAY DISC, RE5=probably 8GB, RE6=11GB and Raccoon City=4.3GB it could all be put on one damn Sony Blu-ray disc. What that means for the unintelligent is that they were all developed for the Xbox2 dvd level, not PS3 Blu-ray level gaming scale. Not just graphics, but scale of the game... game length, story length etc.

Some people just don't research that much about tech, myself included. That does not make someone unintelligent. And if what you are saying is true then there are a lot of ps3 games that could have been a lot better. I will just wait and see what the final product looks like. I just want a rich story, great true next gen gameplay, an open world, and challenging over the top strategic fights. As long as It is better and on a different level then most of the games we have gotten b4 this gen, I will not complain.

#15 Posted by mooooo99 (1243 posts) -

im not playing the demo, i loved xiii and xiii-2, pretty sure im going to enjoy lightning returns, have had it preorderd for ages and should be getting the collectors edition as well.