Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By anilthomas26
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new console. This is going to be my first console. I am confused about which one to buy

• PS3 Super Slim 500 GB --> 200$
  • PS4 500 GB --> 360$ (after best buy coupon discount

I have read that PS3 has a bigger game library compared to PS4. But the reason why I am in favor of PS4 is the superior graphics, 1080p resolution, better FPS and future proof.

Should I ignore the the above mentioned advantages of PS4 and go for the PS3? . Please help me to choose one as I don't know much about in-depth details of these two consoles.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@anilthomas26:

PS4, and if you want to play PS3 games, use PSNow.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@anilthomas26: i got both, what games do you want to play and does graphics matter?

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I only got PS3, got more games, I'm happy with that... PS4 got not that many games right now... you can't go wrong with either, but feeling a little behind having a PS3.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

PS3 by a long shot, and anyone who tells you differently is steering you in the wrong direction. There's about a million excellent games available on PS3 that are dirt cheap, while PS4 has a very limited library right now, and its games are still expensive.

Get a PS4 a year or two from now and then it'll have a respectable library that has gone down in price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

To be honest, I would likely go for the PS4 if you can not spend Money for a near yearly upgrade, or if you have an even modest pc (since most of the PS3 must haves were multiplats, same holds true for the PS4 atm though so that that with a grain of salt).

The PS3 does have a rather good library, but since it is the first console you will have, I suspect that you are either relatively Young, or the wief does not want alot of clutter in the living room.

The thing is that we DO know that the games are comming for the PS4, however I too will say that the library atm is rather underwelming.

So basicly: Do you want a game that is pretty soon to be discontinued, and struggle with most games going farwards (if released on it?)

Or the Console that has some years left of support, with some fairly interresting games on the Horizon?

Make no mistake, the PS3 does have a pretty good library, but I would not reccomend buying an older platform which renders any upcomming games pointless.

however: If you have the Money and room, get the PS3, wait a year get the PS4. Alternatively as someone already stated, the PS4 does have the capability of streaming PS3 games, for a relatively acceptable Price. So if Money itself is not the issue here, that might be an option.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Get the ps4. 2015 is looking great.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

PS3 is a much better deal. There is a huge library of games you can get for cheap and even though it is on it's way out, there is still a steady stream of new games coming.

However, get a PS4 if you're the type of person who likes to buy games when they are new and play them online.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Ps4. I'm sorry - I own and love a ps3 but it is old hardware and in the next year you will see fewer and fewer big ticket games coming out on it. If you already own a ps3... Absolutely, keep it. But buying a new system? Invest in the future.

There are literally hundreds of games on ps4 already. The controller is infinitely better, the menus are faster and more streamlined, it updates itself in the background, mine has much better internet connectivity (downloads, browsing, etc) than my ps3... It is simply a better system in every way except that it hasn't had 9 years to build a huge library (OK, a few media playback advantages for ps3 to consider if that's a big thing for you)

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I have both, if I were to purchase me a console right now it would be a PS3 without thinking it too much, besides, PS3 on-line is still for free while on PS4 you have to pay.

anilthomas26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 anilthomas26
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Thanks everyone for the inputs :) . Please consider the below facts:-

• I am interested in racing games like NFS, puzzle solving 3rd person shooter games like Uncharted, 2 player fighting games

• I am not a big fan of online multiplayer games

• I am not interested in buying costly 'New' games

After going through the replies I am slightly in favour of PS3. What I am thinking is, since I am new to the console world lets try PS3 for some time. If everything goes fine I can sell the PS3 and buy PS4. Also most of the games that I am looking for are already available in PS3.

But like I said before, is there considerable graphics/fps difference between the two? This is my concern.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Your First console should be PlayStation 4. Then you will be current and be able to enjoy all of the 8th generation has to offer. The PlayStation 3 for all intents and purposes is now a "retro" console. The 7th gen is over. The on-line servers for PS3 will last 1 more year. The best thing to do is go all in on PlayStation 4 and enjoy current generation playstation games.

You can always discover PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 games later. But your very first console should be a current generation console. Retro gaming can come later. Your first console should be current generation and brand new. The 8th Generation is your generation., When you got your very first console. This generation may last another 8 years. Since the worldwide economy will prevent another quick turnover. As in the "old Days" when generations last 5 years.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raugutcon

@anilthomas26 said:

• I am interested in racing games like NFS, puzzle solving 3rd person shooter games like Uncharted, 2 player fighting games

After going through the replies I am slightly in favour of PS3. What I am thinking is, since I am new to the console world lets try PS3 for some time. If everything goes fine I can sell the PS3 and buy PS4. Also most of the games that I am looking for are already available in PS3.

But like I said before, is there considerable graphics/fps difference between the two? This is my concern.

I swear I can´t see any difference between both when it comes to graphics, maybe, and I say maybe, I would be able to see any difference if I could have a split screen and see the same game running simultaneously. For example, I´ve played TLoUR in my PS4 and TLoU in my PS3, or COD AW/ COD Ghosts in both and can´t remember seeing any difference.

If most of the games I were interested in are readily available in one system I would choose that system, actually now it´s a good time to purchase games, I´ve purchased a big bunch of NEW ( factory sealed ) PS3 games for 50% + less than their original price and used games in mint condition for 15-20 US.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Get a PS3 now and wait for the inevitable PS4 slim. There are a handful of games on the PS3 that will satisfy your gaming needs until the PS4 drop in price. Though you can't go wrong with either choices.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xantufrog  Moderator

@raugutcon said:

I swear I can´t see any difference between both when it comes to graphics, maybe, and I say maybe, I would be able to see any difference if I could have a split screen and see the same game running simultaneously. For example, I´ve played TLoUR in my PS4 and TLoU in my PS3, or COD AW/ COD Ghosts in both and can´t remember seeing any difference.

I think the difference is huge. Not in resolution, so much (720 vs 1080... eh), but in things like textures, lighting, effects, render distance, etc... But it's true that if you only have one of the systems, you won't really know what you're missing so not such a big deal as long as it looks good enough

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's idiocy to buy old tech if you don't have to

I understand that not everyone can afford the investment and in those cases it's about doing the most with less.

If you can afford it? No reason not to.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

PS4 just so you don't get left behind, the library isn't that big, but that's understandable considering the console hasn't been out that long, but there are great games to play on it, and you'll future proof yourself for games what you like in the future.

Yes the PS3 has an amazing library of games, but thats because it's been out for 9years.

most of the big games for PS3 from the last 2 years have been released on the PS4 and there are so many indie games to buy you won't be stuck for any type of game.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

PS3 by a long shot, and anyone who tells you differently is steering you in the wrong direction. There's about a million excellent games available on PS3 that are dirt cheap, while PS4 has a very limited library right now, and its games are still expensive.

Get a PS4 a year or two from now and then it'll have a respectable library that has gone down in price.

This is what I'd go with if I was dipping my toes into console gaming. There's plenty of good games on the PS3, many of them exclusive. Get yoruself a PS3, replace the internal drive with an SSD and you're set.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

PS4. Though I'd recommend a pc over that but ps4 is my answer.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

If you care about graphics, PS4. Especially if it's your first console I'd assume you haven't played most of the HD remasters so it will have a good sized library, if not huge like PS3. Of course though, it'll be much cheaper to collect for PS3 if you go that route it has many more full $10-20 games to choose from.

CBASSON1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CBASSON1996
Member since 2015 • 60 Posts

PS3 hands down!!! I got mine back in March 2014...never been happier with it! I played on a friend's PS4....didn't really like it at all! I have a PS3...already have 65 games on it, got them all for cheap

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@cbasson1996 said:

I played on a friend's PS4....didn't really like it at all!

May I ask why? IMO, other than a smaller library (for the time being) and a few media things the PS4 is far superior in every way! I feel like it's so much more polished, faster, the controller is much more comfortable and makes good use of the speaker and touchpad in many games that the DS3 lacks... I'm just surprised that playing around with someone's PS4 would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth compared to the PS3 (which is a fine system gamewise, but has never felt fully finished to me)

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By raugutcon

@cbasson1996 said:

PS3 hands down!!! I got mine back in March 2014...never been happier with it! I played on a friend's PS4....didn't really like it at all! I have a PS3...already have 65 games on it, got them all for cheap

Of course you didn´t like the PS4 ( just to mention it, I do have one ) , how can you like something that really has NO GAMES ? ( btw X1 also has no games either ).

This is my PS4 library so far:

COD AW

The Order

AC Unity

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

TLoUR

Killzone Shadow Fall

Destiny

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

Get the PS3. Amazing library. Get the PS4 once it gets cheaper and more games are released for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

PS4 would be the obvious choice for me. you get the latest and the greatest games for it.

sure, PS3 has bigger library right now, but i'd trade the whole library for being able to play Bloodborne and eventually FFXV while they are still hot. also Witcher 3, but i'll play it on PC.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#27 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3630 Posts

@anilthomas26:

PS3 hands down.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28  Edited By Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Hell, get a PS2 if you are looking for a game library, it is gigantic! Just get the PS4!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xantufrog  Moderator

@Samslayer said:

Hell, get a PS2 if you are looking for a game library, it is gigantic! Just get the PS4!

Exactly.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

You can prob get a PS2, PS3 and a bunch of games for the same price as a PS4.

It's a no brainer unless you're a huge graphics whore or something.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

PS3 was already so powerful that the new generation did not feel like that big of a jump to me. Plus the PS4 will never have the same games library that the PS3 does. A lot of developers went under last generation. The ones that are left take a long time to make games due to the complexity of modern development. Get a PS3 and buy a bunch of games for cheap. Four years from now, get a PS4 slim and by then there will be a bunch of cheap games for it as well.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That's a tough one.

One machine you are set for the future, one machine are you are looking at the past.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@raugutcon said:
@anilthomas26 said:

Honestly, stop playing cross gen games if you really want to see pronounced graphics differences for any generation of console (PS1-PS2 cross gen, PS2-PS3 cross gen, PS3-PS4 cross gen, Xbox-360 cross gen, GC-Wii Cross gen, etc).

Cross gen games are designed for the lowest common denominator (old hardware, assets, geometry, etc), and therefore those cross gen titles are held back on more powerful hardware. Yes, they do add in higher resolution, better textures, lighting, etc, but it's all much more subtle since the original game is an older game.

That said, the higher quality and larger monitors/HDTVs you'll see more details. I got the impression a larger, higher quality HDTV wasn't something you owned from another thread (If I recall correctly), so that will also have an effect on what you notice.

I know I noticed differences as I owned TLOU on PS3 and PS4, but I game on a high quality Panasonic Plasma.

Finally, there are an exceptional amount of last gen HD ports and cross gen games on the PS4, so that doesn't help in pronoucing differences so far (Lego, GTA5, TLOU, etc). There is also the problem of 1st generational software not fully pushing new hardware (early PS3 games, early 360 games, early PS2 games, early NES games, early PS1 games, early Xbox games, etc). Comparing something designed ground up for current gen hardware, like Batman Arkham Knight PS4 vs. Batman Arkham Asylum PS3 would be a good comparison. When Batman AK PS4 gets a sequel, a compare that to Batman Arkham City.

@xantufrog said:
@raugutcon said:

I think the difference is huge. Not in resolution, so much (720 vs 1080... eh), but in things like textures, lighting, effects, render distance, etc... But it's true that if you only have one of the systems, you won't really know what you're missing so not such a big deal as long as it looks good enough

^

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Last_Ride

@anilthomas26: What games are you interested in?

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

You might as well be up to date and get the PlayStation 4. If this is your first ever console. Try PlayStation Now which allows you to play about 125 PS3 games, This is what the PSnow service is meant for. So you can catch up on some games from the PS3 era.

You can also eventually buy a PS3 and some games if you wish to. Since the PlayStation 3 era is at the end, Support for the PS3 should be at it's last year. PS3 consoles and games are cheap.

But it is best if you join the PlayStation family at the current generation, You can always retro game with the PS3, PS2 and the original PSone later. Or even with PS now if you like the streaming service. Sony will eventually add PS 1,2 games

Go with PS4

CaNkER--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CaNkER--
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

PS4 for one very simple reason. The PS3 500GB console is cheap, shoddy junk.

I bought my 1st one in April 2013, it lasted less than 2 months before the power supply died. It was replaced with a brand new one that worked for a few months before the Blu ray laser burnt out. Replaced again with a brand new console that died after about six months when the hard drive began to fail. Replaced yet again with a brand new console that I took back last week because the Blu ray laser is failing.

I'm lucky because where I live (Australia) the Consumer Law requires electronics to work for 2-5 years regardless of what the manufacturer says, so I get a brand new console for free each time. If I had a choice between getting another PS3 or a PS4 I'd take the PS4 even though I've got about 40-50 PS3 games.

As far as I understand it, the PS4 has less of a failure rate (there are some issues) and it certainly has a future. Cheap/large variety of PS3 games is a redundant argument when the available selection is already on the decline. Shops like EB Games have already cleared most of their stock and you'll find it increasingly difficult to find games you're looking for unless you shop on PSN for over-priced last gen games.

I love my PS3 when it works but there's no way I could recommend it to anyone looking to buy a console for the 1st time.

SanitySoldOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SanitySoldOut
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

@CaNkER--: Well im off to live in Australia!

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

If the console will not be your primary gaming system, so you have other systems on which to enjoy latest games then go for PS3.

It is cheaper, has a huge games library, still getting support from devs & PS+ monthly 'free' games

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bezza2011

Not sure how anyone can say the PS4 has a very limited library it has tons of games, yes the ps3 has loads and loads of excellent games and a huge library, it should have it's been out near 10 years.

My vote is buy a PS4, you'll be up to date with the games, all the best third party games are out for it, you have a load of indie games to delve into, why buy a console which is 10years old when were all moving forward. and most of the top games are being made into remasters anyway so you ain't missing much, and old PS3 graphics are pretty poor.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@bezza2011: PS3 has twice if not triple the library of PS4

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bezza2011

@The_Last_Ride: Of course it does, it's near 10 years old, so will the PS4 in 10 years, but the PS4 has a decent enough library of games to play now, and many more coming out this year, it's a good enough library for anyone and plus the indie games,

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Last_Ride

@bezza2011 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Of course it does, it's near 10 years old, so will the PS4 in 10 years, but the PS4 has a decent enough library of games to play now, and many more coming out this year, it's a good enough library for anyone and plus the indie games,

I am not arguing you, but it's basic logic that the PS3 has a way bigger library :P

CaNkER--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CaNkER--
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Yeah....a bigger library that's increasingly hard to find on disk and WAY over priced on PSN. Besides like I said, the PS3 500gb console is cheap junk prone to failure. I can't comment on older models because I've never had any. Out of all the people I know who've bought a PS4, only one has had an issue (it stopped working half an hour after he took it out of the box and plugged it in).

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

PS3 is a much better decision right now. It's library is far better and the cost for both the console and games is much lower. It's a hard sell for PS4 right now in general.

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts

Buy a PS4 and get a PS Now account.