Finally got Persona 4: Where the hell did my free time go ? (Tips Please)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Finally got it *Get Stuffed Delayed EU release !* Haven't been addicted to a game in a long time,(Example) Fry Cry 3 is awesome but I don't mind putting it down and watching some TV or really doing anything else but Persona 4 ? God it's hard to stop playing this game really enjoying it. First persona 4 game I have played and it's bloody awesome, been in a slight down with my Ps Vita but this game really makes me happy I got it.

Only thing is any Tips for Persona's and Social Links ? The Persona thing I kinda get its a bit like Pokemon look for their weakness however combining them and all that stuff confuses the hell out of me. Also should I try to get my Social Links up as soon as I can ? The first Midterms are soon (Im level 18 so im not far into the game) I believe Chie's Social link is 3 and the rest are 2 should I try to level them all as soon as I can ? Do Social Links Outside of my party Really Matter ? Besides obviously wanting to get to know their story.

#2 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

Finally got it *Get Stuffed Delayed EU release !* Haven't been addicted to a game in a long time,(Example) Fry Cry 3 is awesome but I don't mind putting it down and watching some TV or really doing anything else but Persona 4 ? God it's hard to stop playing this game really enjoying it. First persona 4 game I have played and it's bloody awesome, been in a slight down with my Ps Vita but this game really makes me happy I got it.

Only thing is any Tips for Persona's and Social Links ? The Persona thing I kinda get its a bit like Pokemon look for their weakness however combining them and all that stuff confuses the hell out of me. Also should I try to get my Social Links up as soon as I can ? The first Midterms are soon (Im level 18 so im not far into the game) I believe Chie's Social link is 3 and the rest are 2 should I try to level them all as soon as I can ? Do Social Links Outside of my party Really Matter ? Besides obviously wanting to get to know their story.

Blake135

Yeah so first off, don't panic. The game gives you enough time to pretty much max out everyone who matters. Every social link represents an arcana and the higher your SL is the easier it is to level and fuse persona of that arcana. Your party members SLs are special because if you max them out their persona will evolve. When I played, I maxed out my stats first and then my SLs. I did this because sometimes when you're leveling your SLs you have to choose something to say and sometimes you can't say what you want because you don't have the courage or the understanding etc. to say it. Also make sure you get Marie's SL up too because you need it to get the true ending.

#3 Posted by fend_oblivion (6113 posts) -
One thing about Social Links that you should never forget to do : always bring a Persona of the same arcana as the Social Link you're about to do. For example, if you're going to do the Heirophant social link (your uncle), make sure you bring a Persona of the Heirophant arcana. This will make sure you level up Social Links faster. Also, be sure to get the maximum number of points in the conversations by choosing the right dialog options the during Social Links.
#4 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

Alx1231

Yeah so first off, don't panic. The game gives you enough time to pretty much max out everyone who matters. Every social link represents an arcana and the higher your SL is the easier it is to level and fuse persona of that arcana. Your party members SLs are special because if you max them out their persona will evolve. When I played, I maxed out my stats first and then my SLs. I did this because sometimes when you're leveling your SLs you have to choose something to say and sometimes you can't say what you want because you don't have the courage or the understanding etc. to say it. Also make sure you get Marie's SL up too because you need it to get the true ending.

Wait, that was a requirement for the True Ending? I thought it was just to open up the bonus dungeon (which, by the way, is optional but you can't back down if you elect to tackle it)...
#5 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]One thing about Social Links that you should never forget to do : always bring a Persona of the same arcana as the Social Link you're about to do. For example, if you're going to do the Heirophant social link (your uncle), make sure you bring a Persona of the Heirophant arcana. This will make sure you level up Social Links faster. Also, be sure to get the maximum number of points in the conversations by choosing the right dialog options the during Social Links.

On top of that, I would pretty much start getting Rise's SL up ASAP, because if you do, she'll provide additional support during battles. Actually, if you increase your SLs for your party members, they learn new skills that can't be learned by leveling up, as well as other support abilities (like slapping a character to remove certain status alignments, taking a fatal hit for your main character, etc.) Lastly, yes, you can have a girlfriend if you so desire, and this actually opens up some additional events (between you two) later on down the road. To do this, when your SL reaches around Rank 8, you'll have two options (one of them being "I love you"). Choose that. Oh, and work on your social qualities (Knowledge, Diligence, etc.) too because some options during events can't be chosen if they're not high enough.
#6 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]One thing about Social Links that you should never forget to do : always bring a Persona of the same arcana as the Social Link you're about to do. For example, if you're going to do the Heirophant social link (your uncle), make sure you bring a Persona of the Heirophant arcana. This will make sure you level up Social Links faster. Also, be sure to get the maximum number of points in the conversations by choosing the right dialog options the during Social Links.

On top of that, I would pretty much start getting Rise's SL up ASAP, because if you do, she'll provide additional support during battles. Actually, if you increase your SLs for your party members, they learn new skills that can't be learned by leveling up, as well as other support abilities (like slapping a character to remove certain status alignments, taking a fatal hit for your main character, etc.) Lastly, yes, you can have a girlfriend if you so desire, and this actually opens up some additional events (between you two) later on down the road. To do this, when your SL reaches around Rank 8, you'll have two options (one of them being "I love you"). Choose that. Oh, and work on your social qualities (Knowledge, Diligence, etc.) too because some options during events can't be chosen if they're not high enough.

A girlfriend ? Haha awesome thought it was gonna be totally "Friendish Overcomes Anything" type of thing with the group nice to know I have the option later on. Don't believe I have Met Rise before ? Ill see how she is when I do meet her, type of person that likes to keep the NPCs I like more personality wise more in my battle group rather then just the most useful. I'm sure ill get used to juggling everything.
#8 Posted by QQabitmoar (1969 posts) -

Max Rise, max Sun, craft Tam Lin, grind a bit, and the game's a breeze. Enjoy the story, the gameplay is extremely easy thanks to the new shuffle system and skill cards.

I had already played it on emu..errr I mean ps2, so maybe that's why it seemed so easy for me, but the changes definitely make it easier. At least it has more closure than the old version.

#9 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -
[QUOTE="Alx1231"]

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

tjoeb123

Wait, that was a requirement for the True Ending? I thought it was just to open up the bonus dungeon (which, by the way, is optional but you can't back down if you elect to tackle it)...

Yeah, in order to get the true ending you need to do that extra dungeon. I found this out too late and only got the good ending.
#10 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="Alx1231"] Yeah so first off, don't panic. The game gives you enough time to pretty much max out everyone who matters. Every social link represents an arcana and the higher your SL is the easier it is to level and fuse persona of that arcana. Your party members SLs are special because if you max them out their persona will evolve. When I played, I maxed out my stats first and then my SLs. I did this because sometimes when you're leveling your SLs you have to choose something to say and sometimes you can't say what you want because you don't have the courage or the understanding etc. to say it. Also make sure you get Marie's SL up too because you need it to get the true ending.Alx1231

Yeah, in order to get the true ending you need to do that extra dungeon. I found this out too late and only got the good ending.

Huh. I never knew that. I was just following guides for the original PS2 game, opening the new dungeon up for playing post-game, not knowing that it was required.... I love it when I semi-blindly get the true ending. I guess it makes sense, seeing as she appears in the true ending, but it makes me wonder how the original PS2 version is in comparison.
#11 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blake135"][QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]One thing about Social Links that you should never forget to do : always bring a Persona of the same arcana as the Social Link you're about to do. For example, if you're going to do the Heirophant social link (your uncle), make sure you bring a Persona of the Heirophant arcana. This will make sure you level up Social Links faster. Also, be sure to get the maximum number of points in the conversations by choosing the right dialog options the during Social Links.

A girlfriend ? Haha awesome thought it was gonna be totally "Friendish Overcomes Anything" type of thing with the group nice to know I have the option later on. Don't believe I have Met Rise before ? Ill see how she is when I do meet her, type of person that likes to keep the NPCs I like more personality wise more in my battle group rather then just the most useful. I'm sure ill get used to juggling everything.

I might be stepping into spoiler (but not much) territory here, but....ah, screw it! [spoiler] All of the members of the Investigation Team appear in the intro. You know the girl in the swimsuit in the 2nd anime cutscene, whose tagline is "I'm tired of diets! Enough with going to the gym! Good thing there's something even I can handle!"? That's Rise, and she takes Teddie's place. Don't worry, Teddie doesn't die or disappear or anything like that. You'll know what I mean when you beat their shadows (yep, in the same dungeon). [/spoiler] By the way, where are you at in terms of story?
#12 Posted by Marmotas (2941 posts) -

1- Try to do 1 S.Link and 1 stat increase per day. You will get books that increase courage, understanding, etc, and with the crane folding job you get diligence, and studying knowledge. So you have during the day chance for a S.Link and then at night read to get more stats. Of course, this is subject to changes but its a good formula to get going.

2- Rainy days limit your S.Links (since you cant do them most of the time) but they also give bonuses to stat increases most of the times. Also, you can eat at the chinese restaurant to get an increase in many stats (for a fee). So those days are perfect to focus on stat upgrades or go to the TV.

3- Try to focus on your main team S.Links, since they give extras in combat that can be pretty useful.

4- Try to do as much as you can in each visit to the TV, so you have more time to do other stuff outside, but dont push yourself too much, if you feel you cant take the boss or just cant keep going (little MP, healing items, etc) the just go back, save and leave to return another day. You normally have a couple of weeks to rescue someone.

5- Always update your personas, if you find a fire persona better than your previous (or are you able to create it) then go for it.

6- If you intend on doing S.Links take in count what Arcana that S.Link is and bring a persona of that arcana with you, if you have a compatible one a reminder text will pop up once you try to start the social link activity and tell you about it, if not, it will remind you that you dont posses that arcana in your inventory. This will speed up your leveling up with that person, making less dates necessary.

7- If you really want to level up your S.Links yet you cant interact with them at that point, the Shrine will help you gaining points towards a link you have active. It wont level up (you still need the activity to gain a new level) but it will count towards the points accumulation to get to the next level. You can go even in rainy days if you want, if you dont want to gain stats.

#13 Posted by 3aNkabot (620 posts) -
Congrats on getting the game, does it have japanese audio or is it dubbed ?.
#14 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
Congrats on getting the game, does it have japanese audio or is it dubbed ?.3aNkabot
With all of the content that barely fits (probably), there's just a dub. But why in the hell would you want to listen to the Japanese audio when the English voices are actually quite good? When I first heard them I was so amazed that I thought Atlus was rich or something.
#15 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11104 posts) -

Try maxing out the Lovers Arcana as soon as it becomes available. I found it to be the most useful during battles.

Also have fun, it's a great game. If you haven't done so try out Persona 3 Portable next, it's downloadble through PSN. I personally enjoyed P3P more.

#16 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2737 posts) -
I need this game!
#17 Posted by 3aNkabot (620 posts) -
[QUOTE="3aNkabot"]Congrats on getting the game, does it have japanese audio or is it dubbed ?.tjoeb123
With all of the content that barely fits (probably), there's just a dub. But why in the hell would you want to listen to the Japanese audio when the English voices are actually quite good? When I first heard them I was so amazed that I thought Atlus was rich or something.

I enjoy japanese dialogue much more, its a niche of mine .
#18 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

I found an website that sells imported copies. So i was thinking about getting it. But idk, the Japanese art isn't really my style. I want to try out an RPG that last's long. Persona 4 looks like an excellent, but idk still. Any advices?

On the other hand i loved Gravity Rush.

#19 Posted by QQabitmoar (1969 posts) -

I found an website that sells imported copies. So i was thinking about getting it. But idk, the Japanese art isn't really my style. I want to try out an RPG that last's long. Persona 4 looks like an excellent, but idk still. Any advices?

On the other hand i loved Gravity Rush.

lilnazar

It's as much waifu simulator/anime school life simulator as it is RPG. So, if you're not into that kind of thing, it's not for you. The RPG side is quite deep and complex though, and for a first timer to the series the game can be a bit challenging at points, though it's never actually hard if you grind a bit.

#20 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

No, i don't dislike that. Infact i like the idea of leveling up in social skills, going out at night for some adventure and stuff. But the whole Japanese art style kinda isn't my thing. For example: If im not a fan of Anime, this game is pretty much useless to me?

#21 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
What, like you can't even stand the sight of anime art?
#22 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

No, i have nothing against anime. Infact i do watch it sometime. Lol sorry about my weird explanation, but here it is in another words:

If i'm not that much into Anime, this game is basically useless to me?

#23 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Absolutely not. It's not a game designed for anime fans, if that's what you mean. If anything, it portrays relationships more believably than most animes. I hate anime in general, since most of it is so senseless and illogical, and very few of them actually have relatable characters. Persona's got a brilliantly realistic cast of characters, and an excellent story to tell.
#24 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

That's what i wanted to hear :D cheers.

#25 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Have had alot of free time off so I finally beat the game with 55 Hours in. 12/23. Didn't expect to like this game so much but it probably jumped on my list of 10 top games..or close to the top on my 20:P Any word when Persona 5 is coming out if it ever will ? Also I heard PS4Arena continues the Story is it worth playing it ? Same with Persona3 after playing Persona4 Golden will Persona3 on the Ps Vita dissapoint me compared to PS4G ?

Edit: Jesus Christ Persona3 is $50 on the AUS Store:? Will just end up Emulating It if I get desperate to play Persona 3.

#26 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Also I Bet it only comes to Consoles..hoping PC cause I don't wanna have to buy one just for Persona 5:P

#27 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

Have had alot of free time off so I finally beat the game with 55 Hours in. 12/23. Didn't expect to like this game so much but it probably jumped on my list of 10 top games..or close to the top on my 20:P Any word when Persona 5 is coming out if it ever will ? Also I heard PS4Arena continues the Story is it worth playing it ? Same with Persona3 after playing Persona4 Golden will Persona3 on the Ps Vita dissapoint me compared to PS4G ?

Edit: Jesus Christ Persona3 is $50 on the AUS Store:? Will just end up Emulating It if I get desperate to play Persona 3.

Blake135

So they announced Persona 5 in 2011 and said that they were in full development in 2012. Don't know what console it's for. If you have a Vita or a PS3 you can buy Persona 3 on the Playstation store. $20 for the PSP version and $10 for the PS2 Version. I don't know what it cost out of the US but I'm sure the PS2 one is still cheaper The PSP version is visually lacking but has better gameplay then the PS2 one. You can't walk around in the PSP version. Instead you use a cursor and talk to people . It's essentially the same game but with no Anime cutscenes (That's a pretty big blow). The problem with the PS2 Version is that you can't control you're party and you get tired in Tarterus ( The main dungeon) so you can't stay there all night and grind. I own both of them but I couldn't stand not controlling my characters so I played the PSP version and watched the cutscenes on youtube when I got to them. The PS2 Version comes with a epilouge called The Answer which is suppose to add like 30 hours but I read that it wasn't that great.

#28 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

Blake135
No, Persona 4 has many improvements of course but it is not leaps and bound better that any version of P3 will disappoint. Which game has better story/characters is very split by fans, I like 4 better myself but both are great. I hear P4 Arena is worth playing, can't confirm that myself though I haven't gotten to it yet.

[QUOTE="Blake135"]he PS2 Version comes with a epilouge called The Answer which is suppose to add like 30 hours but I read that it wasn't that great.

Alx1231
Specifically, FES comes with The Answer. The original P3 release doesn't. The Answer is good for those that like dungeon crawlers, if the OP doesn't there isn't much story and those scenes could be watched on Youtube. No social links in the Answer.
#29 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -

Blake135
12/23? The game doesn't end there AFAIK....
#30 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

tjoeb123

Well I mean I beat The main part at 55 hours, as I noticed it still does continue, pretty happy about that more to play haha.

#31 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="Blake135"]

Blake135

Well I mean I beat The main part at 55 hours, as I noticed it still does continue, pretty happy about that more to play haha.

Not even close if you're going for the true ending and also maxed Marie's social link.
#32 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"] 12/23? The game doesn't end there AFAIK....Eikichi-Onizuka

If you're going for the True Ending then I hope you've made (or plan on making) multiple save files... Not even close if you're going for the true ending and also maxed Marie's social link.

If you're going for the true ending I hope you've made (or plan on making) multiple save files...

#33 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

God, it's hard to defeat certain enemies. That box which poisones you is tough to beat, also those twins. Any suggestions on how i can improve my tactics?

#34 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (9996 posts) -

God, it's hard to defeat certain enemies. That box which poisones you is tough to beat, also those twins. Any suggestions on how i can improve my tactics?

lilnazar
Grind? Use different Personas? The game is really easy. I had my entire team maxed and a billion recovery items by the end of the game.
#35 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

[QUOTE="lilnazar"]

SpinoRaptor24

Grind? Use different Personas? The game is really easy. I had my entire team maxed and a billion recovery items by the end of the game.

Kind of Wish I Picked Hard and not Normal, believe Only 2 Bosses ever made me wiped a few times and that was due to Bad Luck Or having a horrible Persona at the time to fight the boss with.

#36 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Playing New Game + and picked Very Hard idk it seems more unforgiving then it is *Difficult* I have had to Restart once or twice near the start and skip through like 10 minutes of Dialogue due to Monter Lucky Critical hits and beating my ass down in 2 Hits (bloody Game Restarts At Your Last Save). Perhaps I might just play more of my old save Save money transfer it over to a New Game plus and then Buy all the best Weapons and Armor at the start, Like a Challenge but so far it just feels like a big middle finger. Assume it would get easier once I get Yukiko and Chie, with just me and Yosukee its alittle hard.