Final Fantasy XIII vs. Dragon Age Origins

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
I'm looking for a deep, long, and engaging RPG with a fantastic storyline and great gameplay. Which would you recommend -- Final Fantasy XIII, or Dragon Age Origins to start off with? I'll end up getting both eventually, but which one should I purchase first? Thanks in advance. :)
#2 Posted by themountaindew (834 posts) -
Dragon Age is longer, probably, but, even though I haven't played it yet, I'm betting FFXIII will be more fun. But DA is probably more bang for the buck. But there also very different games. Do you like hacknslash Action rpgs like Diablo/KotOR/Oblivion or turnbased JRPGs like Final Fantasy more?
#3 Posted by themountaindew (834 posts) -
that should read they're.
#4 Posted by Texas2089 (16456 posts) -
I don't like the combat in Dragon Age. Reminds me of WoW. Yuck. It does have a great story though. As for FFXIII, personally that'd be my pick since I prefer JRPGs and I've been a longtime fan of the series, but none of us will really know if its better than Dragon Age until we play it.
#6 Posted by themountaindew (834 posts) -
dragon age on ps3 also suffers the occasional stutter of a frame or two. its nothing really, doesn't affect the game IMO, but it is there. thats probably why GS gave it a half point lower than the PC version.
#7 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

Definitely Dragon Age. It's a very deep game, and it's expansion pack is coming up in March. The combat isn't the best, but the world, the story, and the characters are beyond superb. Just, don't expect to play another game for at least a week.

#8 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
seeing as only the japanese version has been released, dont expect an overwhelming amount of educated opinions on the matter yet.
#9 Posted by shadow13702 (1791 posts) -

I don't like the combat in Dragon Age. Reminds me of WoW. Yuck. It does have a great story though. As for FFXIII, personally that'd be my pick since I prefer JRPGs and I've been a longtime fan of the series, but none of us will really know if its better than Dragon Age until we play it.Texas2089

What is the combat in Dragon age like? Is it where you hit them and its on auto or whatever?

#10 Posted by shadow13702 (1791 posts) -

I don't like the combat in Dragon Age. Reminds me of WoW. Yuck. It does have a great story though. As for FFXIII, personally that'd be my pick since I prefer JRPGs and I've been a longtime fan of the series, but none of us will really know if its better than Dragon Age until we play it.Texas2089

What is the combat in Dragon age like? Is it where you hit them and its on auto?

#11 Posted by tryfe_lyn (4122 posts) -

seeming how i haven't played ff13, i'd say dragon age because of the great replay value and mature content...

#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

[QUOTE="Texas2089"]I don't like the combat in Dragon Age. Reminds me of WoW. Yuck. It does have a great story though. As for FFXIII, personally that'd be my pick since I prefer JRPGs and I've been a longtime fan of the series, but none of us will really know if its better than Dragon Age until we play it.shadow13702

What is the combat in Dragon age like? Is it where you hit them and its on auto?

yeah, you attack an enemy and your character will just hack away on his own. you can do special abilities to face buttons and perform them in real time. however, the best part of dragon age's combat is how party based it is. everybody has their own role (taking damage, giving damage, or healing) and success is depending on how well you can make your party work together.
#13 Posted by shadow13702 (1791 posts) -

[QUOTE="shadow13702"]

[QUOTE="Texas2089"]I don't like the combat in Dragon Age. Reminds me of WoW. Yuck. It does have a great story though. As for FFXIII, personally that'd be my pick since I prefer JRPGs and I've been a longtime fan of the series, but none of us will really know if its better than Dragon Age until we play it.LoG-Sacrament

yeah, you attack an enemy and your character will just hack away on his own. you can do special abilities to face buttons and perform them in real time. however, the best part of dragon age's combat is how party based it is. everybody has their own role (taking damage, giving damage, or healing) and success is depending on how well you can make your party work together.

So when i enter combat its something like the healer stays back or do i have to order them too? And alsodo I control all of them or just one at a time ?

#14 Posted by Shirokishi_ (11204 posts) -

WRPGs are usually superior in aspects of story and depth. Dragon Age Origins is a WRPG, so that.

#15 Posted by GripNRip73 (198 posts) -
I'm looking for a deep, long, and engaging RPG with a fantastic storyline and great gameplay. Which would you recommend -- Final Fantasy XIII, or Dragon Age Origins to start off with? I'll end up getting both eventually, but which one should I purchase first? Thanks in advance. :)CaptainAhab13
I already finished Dragon Age Origins, and it is an awesome game, I finished it in 40 hours. I am sure FF13 will be a lot longer as they usually and easily can reach the 100+ hours mark.
#16 Posted by GripNRip73 (198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Texas2089"]I don't like the combat in Dragon Age. Reminds me of WoW. Yuck. It does have a great story though. As for FFXIII, personally that'd be my pick since I prefer JRPGs and I've been a longtime fan of the series, but none of us will really know if its better than Dragon Age until we play it.shadow13702

Dragon Age combat is real time and not turn based.
#17 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="shadow13702"]

shadow13702

So when i enter combat its something like the healer stays back or do i have to order them too? And alsodo I control all of them or just one at a time ?

You control just one at a time, but you can have three other members of your party with you. The AI takes control of the three you aren't using. And that's not a bad thing, as the team AI is pretty good. Mages use magic that fits the situation, archers stay in the back, warriors will keep a defense even during and offensive, and your healers will heal you when needed. You can control any character in your party(you could go through virtually the entire game as a dog). You can also pause the game to give your party members orders.

#18 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]I'm looking for a deep, long, and engaging RPG with a fantastic storyline and great gameplay. Which would you recommend -- Final Fantasy XIII, or Dragon Age Origins to start off with? I'll end up getting both eventually, but which one should I purchase first? Thanks in advance. :)GripNRip73
I already finished Dragon Age Origins, and it is an awesome game, I finished it in 40 hours. I am sure FF13 will be a lot longer as they usually and easily can reach the 100+ hours mark.

I'm about eight and half hours in and I haven't even gotten the aid of a single group. How long did it take for you to use your first treaty?

#19 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="shadow13702"]

yeah, you attack an enemy and your character will just hack away on his own. you can do special abilities to face buttons and perform them in real time. however, the best part of dragon age's combat is how party based it is. everybody has their own role (taking damage, giving damage, or healing) and success is depending on how well you can make your party work together. LoG-Sacrament

You control just one at a time, but you can have three other members of your party with you. The AI takes control of the three you aren't using. And that's not a bad thing, as the team AI is pretty good. Mages use magic that fits the situation, archers stay in the back, warriors will keep a defense even during and offensive, and your healers will heal you when needed. You can control any character in your party(you could go through virtually the entire game as a dog). You can also pause the game to give your party members orders.

you can also customise your party members' ai if they arent doing what you want them to.
#20 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
Hm. It looks as though DA: O is slightly more tailored to my liking (I loved Neverwinter Nights, and I play Dungeons & Dragons). However, I am playing through FF X and enjoying it quite a bit. It looks like I'll get DA: O first, then pick up FF XIII sometime in the late summer. :) Thank you! Yes, both stories are/will be amazing -- it's Bioware and Final Fantasy, for crying out loud.
#21 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="shadow13702"]

LoG-Sacrament

you can also customise your party members' ai if they arent doing what you want them to.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that, since my teammates always do what they do without me having to change the AI(thanks to Wynne and her team healing)

#22 Posted by brotherreese (1049 posts) -

1) FF XIII isn't out until early March.

2) DA: O has multiple characters to start with, and gives you many different choices for each decision/conversation.

Get DA: O first. When you finish that one (maybe more than once), then go for FF XIII.