Fat PS3 nearing death...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

digitalangel18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 digitalangel18
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

So, I got an awesome 60GB PS3 about five and a half years ago and lately it's been giving me red light problems. I suspect it may be on its last legs, but I was wondering, does Sony still fix original PS3s? I would gladly get my console repaired rather than fork over cash for a new console that doesn't play any of my old games (curse you Sony for not letting us download, for free on the PS4, all the PS3 games we already bought.)

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

They should do. But I'd imagine yours is long out of warranty so if they do they'd charge. Don't quote me on that though.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes Sony still repairs Phat PlayStation 3's The PS3 60 and 20Gigers, Second revision 60 and 80gigers, 3rd Revision 40, 80, 160 Gigers. Sony still fixing the phats. But since these are no longer covered by warranty You will have to pay $150.00 plus shipping.

Sony will try to offer you and "upgrade" to a Superslim PS3. But you don't have to fall for that. The phat PS3 are way better than the Superslims.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Buy a ps4 bro ;)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Mine is dead as a door knob I don't think i'll bother getting it fixed.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

@Megavideogamer said:

Yes Sony still repairs Phat PlayStation 3's The PS3 60 and 20Gigers, Second revision 60 and 80gigers, 3rd Revision 40, 80, 160 Gigers. Sony still fixing the phats. But since these are no longer covered by warranty You will have to pay $150.00 plus shipping.

Sony will try to offer you and "upgrade" to a Superslim PS3. But you don't have to fall for that. The phat PS3 are way better than the Superslims.

This. I sent mine in to get fixed about 6 months ago, so unless something changed very recently you should be in luck.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

One more thing, they may have to reformat your hard drive if you send it in. Make sure to back up your save files somewhere.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#10 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I still got the original fat myself, I only had to get it repaired once since launch! I haven't had any issues with it, but if I do, I will try replacing the thermal paste before getting it officially fix. I would suggest you try that as well.

Izak80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Izak80
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts

@digitalangel18: "

Oh, i feel for you :( ...how i miss those "Big Boys" that could play all the games in my huge PS2 library. As already mentioned, don't fall for the ""Superslim upgrade persuasion".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I feel your pain. My PS3 was also a Fat, 60 GB version that lasted for about the same time frame. Ironically, even though I never had any major problems with it...once the last update for the PS3 was released (one week before the PS4 release) my PS3 started to freeze. It also took longer for it to start. The next thing you know, it froze and the dreaded Yellow, Light of Death appeared. There are so many games I wish I could go back and play. The PS4 is an amazing system, but it seems as if the developers and producers are running out of ideas? Just my opinion though. I'd personally say get a XBox One or a PS4.

@digitalangel18 said:

So, I got an awesome 60GB PS3 about five and a half years ago and lately it's been giving me red light problems. I suspect it may be on its last legs, but I was wondering, does Sony still fix original PS3s? I would gladly get my console repaired rather than fork over cash for a new console that doesn't play any of my old games (curse you Sony for not letting us download, for free on the PS4, all the PS3 games we already bought.)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@SoAmazingBaby said:

Buy a ps4 bro ;)

Original model PS3s play the entire PS3 library as well as all PS2 and PS1 games. The PS4 is nice, but it doesn't do any of that.

-Byshop

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

@Byshop said:

@SoAmazingBaby said:

Buy a ps4 bro ;)

Original model PS3s play the entire PS3 library as well as all PS2 and PS1 games. The PS4 is nice, but it doesn't do any of that.

-Byshop

You dont have to get rid of the ps3

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@SoAmazingBaby said:

@Byshop said:

@SoAmazingBaby said:

Buy a ps4 bro ;)

-Byshop

You dont have to get rid of the ps3

And I haven't got rid of either of my 60GB PS3s, but your suggestion of "Buy a ps4 bro" in no way helps the op with what he's trying to do. Get it?

-Byshop