Far Cry 2 worth playing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tsuanthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Tsuanthony
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

I realized I have yet to play far cry 2

is it worth playing? :P

looks nice and the open world but it seems it can be boring sometimes?

and I imagine the lobbys are quite empty now? :\

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Out of hundredes of games I have played, Far Cry 2 was the only one I never finished because of how boring it was, I wouldn't recommended it, but you might like it.

UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts

It's fun for about ten hours then it becomes redundant and I just didn't bother to finish it because of that.

Tsuanthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tsuanthony
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

ah gotcha

hear any plans for a far cry 3?

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
Skip it and use your money for something else.

ah gotcha

hear any plans for a far cry 3?

Tsuanthony
I hope not...but if it does happen, then let's pray for a miracle and hope Ubisoft have nothing to do with it... let crytek do it lol.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Far Cry 2 is alright. The gameplay mechanics are really great for an FPS, actually. While running, if you press crouch you slide. Guns can jam when they're dirty (or explode if they're really abused) and there's a hefty amount of them to choose from. There's also little touches that are pretty neat, like fire spreads in a (semi) realistic fashion. Driving is also pretty solid, and the animations of getting into the turret from the driver seat and the like are all really well done. Your character also catches malaria, so you have to stock up and use pills sometimes before blacking out in the middle of combat.

It's just a shame the world doesn't offer enough to utilize all these little things. After a few hours of playing well, you've seen it and done it all. The world is big but it's ridiculously repetitive. The story is ok but it's all over the place and hard to follow, with a really unsatisfying climax. It's really hard to get the ambition to do everything because the game does very little changing pace.

The MP was actually good, but yeah they're probably dead now.

It's kind of cool to experience all the stuff I mentioned in the first paragraph for a short while. It's plenty fun, it just wears out quicker than one would want.

Far Cry 3 is in development but that's all we really know. No other solid news other than Ubisoft announcing it's being made.

daveversion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 daveversion1
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts
For me at first FarCry 2 looked really good, open world, great graphics all good reviews all the previews looked good. So i brought it, and i hated it, the missions i find are boaring, you cant drive down a road without being shot at, its hard to travel around. I really wanted to like it but i just could'nt stand it. I always complete games but FarCry 2 was an exception, i just could'nt finish it. So to answer your question, in my opinion its not worth playing.
-Grieves-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Grieves-
Member since 2007 • 1708 Posts

Far Cry 2 is a bit of a Marmite game.

It gets a lot of hate, but there are some of us that absolutly love it as well (how can you not love an open world shooter).

You should be able to pick this game up really cheaply now so give it a try and you might find that you are one of the people that love it.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#9 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I think that the game is great and worth buying for the single player campaign. There is fun to be had online though, and the lobbies are fine, I was playing a game last week and had no trouble finding a match.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts
For me at first FarCry 2 looked really good, open world, great graphics all good reviews all the previews looked good. So i brought it, and i hated it, the missions i find are boaring, you cant drive down a road without being shot at, its hard to travel around. I really wanted to like it but i just could'nt stand it. I always complete games but FarCry 2 was an exception, i just could'nt finish it. So to answer your question, in my opinion its not worth playing.daveversion1
My words exactly. Bump!
razzkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 razzkazz
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

I completely agree with the above post as well. Far Cry 2 sounded so promising and at first appeared to be great, but after the first hour I realized how much I hated everything about the gameplay. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Avatar image for solidsnake10123
solidsnake10123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 solidsnake10123
Member since 2008 • 396 Posts

far cry blows ass i would have liked it if it wasnt for every time i drive a car i have people trying to run me off the road the people that make it should learn to program friendly ai

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

Like someone said in a post above me, the FPS mechanics are very good. The game looks splendid, guns, cars, trees, villages, desert, nature in general. Oh, and fire. Fire is fun to use. You can even upgrade your guns and vehicules. Overall, it's very fun to "play" the game.

The huge weakness in the game is its story. The main idea isn't bad at all (civil war menacing a small african country, different factions trying to suppress each other to seize power, you're a mercenary who tries to work both faction to finish your main mission) but you can definitely forget the story 5 hours into the game then be reminded 20 hours later that there was actually a story. That's how bad they handled it. You have to do very simple and repetitive missions for about 25 of the 30 hours of game time, most of which you will wonder about what the point actually was in the grand scheme of things.

The thing though that pissed me off badly when playing this game was the fact that enemy camps respawn every few minutes or so. You can drive from point A to point B to complete a mission, and on the road there might be one or two outpost with 4 or 5 militia dudes shooting you as soon as you're in their line of sight. You can live with that, but if you go back by the same route less than 5 minutes after that, you'll see that they have all respawned, even if you did burn the whole place down.

And I did finish the game, but it was a drag. I didn't want to (I usually hate bad storylines), but it was fun enough (as far as shooting and burning down places) to keep me interested. Would never play it again though.

NicolasBai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NicolasBai
Member since 2009 • 153 Posts
No. it's a quite boring game...............
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Many people found it borring. I loved it. Its like assasin creed with guns. But with also no story. Many, many many repettvie missions and long travel but you can attack a base the way you want and evade the ai that is moving to your position. I found the gameplay very addictive for some reason.
M_U_C_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 M_U_C_K
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts

get the first one for your pc, its still better than most new shooter games

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Even exploration is boring I quit playing not even 2 hours in and never touched it again.
Krigen89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krigen89
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
I bought it recently, because, well, I figured for 10$ I couldn't be wrong... I was a HUGE fan of the 1st one on PC, finished it, played it online, used the mods, tried the 64 bits patch at the time ,etc etc. But this one, FarCry 2, is such a ******* borefest it's unbelievable... the aiming sucks compared to most console games, enemies need 20 bullets to die, even a shotgun to the face doesn't kill them... running is akward, you can barely turn when you're running... story, well, is there a storyline? Played it for 2-3 hours, and I'm freakin glad I didn't shell out 60$ for it when it came out.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I loved it. And still do.

I bought it for £13 a while ago and very glad I did. The single player has some interesting features, and is a nice long story mode. Sure, it can get a little repetetive (I would know, I hunted for EVERY single possible diamond in the game just to get a measley bronze trophy!); and yes, there isn't a whole lot of diversity in what you do in the game; but it is still a well made game, with enough to get your teeth into.

What really got me most about far cry 2 is the mapmaker. The mapmaker is quite easy to master the basics, but there is also the space for the more skilled people to create much more complex maps. I have spent a considerable number of hours on the mapmaker alone and I love it. There are still enough people who play online at any given point too!

If you find it cheap, and think you like the look of it, just buy it! Not everyone likes it, but Im pretty sure it can be found quite cheaply

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Far Cry 2 is a bore fest.

It contains minimal action, most of it is driving, but it's difficult to know where you are going and the driving sucks big time.

Also you can get malaria. If you don't have pills for it you pass out. What a great idea.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I loved Far Cry 2 and plan to play through it again when im done with the current games im playing. You can pick it up cheap so its def worth getting for anyone who passed it up.