Fallout 3 GOTY Freezing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -

Just a simple question

I'm considering buying the Fallout 3 GOTY for the DLC, actual game, and such and I want to know if this game has been patched/fixed from all the freezing that has been going on with this game as of 2012, since I find a butt-load of topics from 2010 and 2011, and I'm curious if Bethesda actually took the time to patch the game up to eliminate the freezing/crashing?

Anyone know if the freezing/crashing has been solved? or at least greatly reduced.

#2 Posted by volume_three (2142 posts) -

I completed the GOTY Edition after all the patches on a Slim and as for the main campaign I had it freeze maybe half a dozen times. Oddly enough this occured not during extensive battles or during missions but while travelling and always in the same section of the map. However the frame rate would always drop prior to the freeze occuring which signified it was time to save.

As for the DLC, I completed Operation Anchorage which had a horrendous frame rate drop during the end of the mission. Kinda turned me off the game so I've yet to complete the additional DLC.

If you have a decent gaming rig or a 360 definitely purchase it for either of those instead. Despite that I'd still recommend grabbing it if the PS3 is your only option.

#3 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -

I completed the GOTY Edition after all the patches on a Slim and as for the main campaign I had it freeze maybe half a dozen times. Oddly enough this occured not during extensive battles or during missions but while travelling and always in the same section of the map. However the frame rate would always drop prior to the freeze occuring which signified it was time to save.

As for the DLC, I completed Operation Anchorage which had a horrendous frame rate drop during the end of the mission. Kinda turned me off the game so I've yet to complete the additional DLC.

If you have a decent gaming rig or a 360 definitely purchase it for either of those instead. Despite that I'd still recommend grabbing it if the PS3 is your only option.

volume_three
Thanks for the response, yeah PS3 is my only choice, do you you know though if it is worth buying and trying to bear with the freezes/slowdowns? I mean I rented Fallout 3 a couple of times, now I'm finally buying it, and I got no slow-downs/freezes, so would this work in my favor?
#4 Posted by jordonj (1069 posts) -
Yes, it freezes, but I still love it, warts and all...
#5 Posted by SoNin360 (5502 posts) -
I played through it with all the DLC and had many freezes, mostly in the add-ons themselves. It gets worse when you file gets larger. I didn't have very many problems at all with Fallout 3 itself, but once I got the GOTY edition, it turned into a technical mess at times. I still played through it all though... twice. They never really patched anything after the GOTY edition was released. So really it depends on how patient you are. It's playable, but you'll need to save quite often when playing the DLC, and probably have to restart your PS3 at times when it freezes or becomes unbearably slow. I loved Fallout 3 so I put up with it.
#6 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I wouldn't get it. I tried playing it on the PS3 but there are many problems with the DLC sections of the game, and freezing is definitely one of them.

#7 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I played the regular, vanilla-version of the game (not GOTY Edition) and aside from being bored out of my mind after putting 8 to 10 hrs into it, I had no problems. I obviously didn't play any DLC, and I shelved the game well before my file got huge or finishing the game.

If you really wanna play it and PS3 is your only hope of doing so, get the non-GOTY version. When I asked about it prior to purchase on this forum, folks told me the Vanilla-Version has less in the way of hiccups & farts (technically).

Hope this helps a bit.

:)

#8 Posted by jordonj (1069 posts) -
Off-topic, but I wondered where Zee Captain was (my avatar...)
#9 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

I was worried about the same thing and got the game anyway.

The devs never realeased a fix.

I finished the game with all DLC and had only one freeze in Mothership Zeta and some FPS issues in one of the others which I forgot the name of (the one that continues the main story I beleive).

I did not explore a huge amount of locations though so my savegame is not as big as it is for some other users. Legend has it that the game starts freezing and having fps issues after you hit a certain savegame size. I believe this was 10 mb but I could be mistaken there.

All in all I'd say it is worth getting it, the majority of the game was perfectly fine for me. If you want to 100% explore the game however you might want to consider a different system.

#10 Posted by ThePerro (3103 posts) -

Operation Anchorage is your worst enemy in the GOTY edition.

#11 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

ThePerro
I actually had no problems at ALL with Operation Anchorage. No fps issues, no freezing. I think it's more about the order in which you play them, as I played O:A as my first dlc.
#12 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I played the regular, non-GOTY version and it froze up on an average of probably once per ten hours. As soon as I bought some DLC, it developed several additional bugs that it didn't have before. I think you'd be better off if you got the regular version, played it, and then bought the DLC later.

#13 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

KRIKEY...

... I know this is off-topic, but I failed to notice that TC was you without your avatar, Rusty!!!

:oops:

Nice to see you, even if I didn't "see" you at first. You too, Jordan. I'm not grinding an axe here, but this missing avatar jazz is really a pain sometimes.

#14 Posted by deathskitten (698 posts) -

I really wanted to play this game but it kept getting stuck at the beginning of the game when you sit in the class room, I had the GOTY edition.

#15 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
Thanks everyone I really appreciate it :) I'm going to just buy the actual base version (just Fallout 3) since I really don't want to have to reset my PS3 each time.
#16 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I really wanted to play this game but it kept getting stuck at the beginning of the game when you sit in the class room, I had the GOTY edition.

deathskitten

Whoa, that's gotta be some sort of "Fallout 3" record!!!

:lol:

I'll pro'ly go back to it at some point... The game wasn't terrible or anything, I just lost a lot of steam at one point to see it through. I was a pretty big "Morrowind" fan, so I really wanted to love a Bethesda game on my (at the time) new gen hardware, but seeing as programming for the Cell isn't something they have been able to straighten out...

:(

#17 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

deathskitten

I had the same thing happen to me with my non-GOTY edition. Load up a previous save, and then (if I remember correctly) you get in a fight with some guy before taking that test. After you win the fight, continue beating on the guy until you kill him. Then take the test and it should work.

Do a Google search on "fallout 3 glitch" followed by a short description, like "GOAT test" or whatever that thing is called. You'll find a lot of people have had the same problems and they've got workarounds. Also go to the Fallout 3 wiki, they've got walkthroughs for all the missions along with all known bugs and their solutions.

#18 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="deathskitten"]

Jackc8

I had the same thing happen to me with my non-GOTY edition. Load up a previous save, and then (if I remember correctly) you get in a fight with some guy before taking that test. After you win the fight, continue beating on the guy until you kill him. Then take the test and it should work.

Do a Google search on "fallout 3 glitch" followed by a short description, like "GOAT test" or whatever that thing is called. You'll find a lot of people have had the same problems and they've got workarounds. Also go to the Fallout 3 wiki, they've got walkthroughs for all the missions along with all known bugs and their solutions.

Thanks for posting that, Jack. It really says something about a game when there needs to be extensive information like this posted in a WIKI, for Jah's sake...

:lol:

Sincerely, it's greatly appreciated.

#19 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

^ Glad I could help :D

I like Bethesda's games, I just wish they worked lol.

#20 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

^ Glad I could help :D

I like Bethesda's games, I just wish they worked lol.

Jackc8

You can say THAT again! "Morrowind" made me a fan, but I gotta tell ya, it's a relationship I still feel a bit abused in, as a consumer. Double that as a Sony console fan. I wish I could buy "Skyrim" with a clear head...

#21 Posted by ThePerro (3103 posts) -

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

PetJel

I actually had no problems at ALL with Operation Anchorage. No fps issues, no freezing. I think it's more about the order in which you play them, as I played O:A as my first dlc.

I'm one of the unlucky few that had horrendous problems with Operation Anchorage. Constant freezing, horrible lag and slowdown, where every moment that there was choppiness as a result of a lag spike, I feared my game would freeze at that moment.

#22 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

i had freezing on everything in fallout 3 each 2-3 hours , in DLC even more, the mothership dlc didnt work at all for me as soon as i got beamed up and watched the alien cutscene the game would always freeze making it impossible to play the DLC at all :(

#23 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

i had freezing on everything in fallout 3 each 2-3 hours , in DLC even more, the mothership dlc didnt work at all for me as soon as i got beamed up and watched the alien cutscene the game would always freeze making it impossible to play the DLC at all :(

AmnesiaHaze

That's just ****-ed.

#24 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"][QUOTE="ThePerro"]

ThePerro

I'm one of the unlucky few that had horrendous problems with Operation Anchorage. Constant freezing, horrible lag and slowdown, where every moment that there was choppiness as a result of a lag spike, I feared my game would freeze at that moment.

Wow. That's a shame. :( OA was my favourite DLC for the game, together with Point Lookout. Did you ever try one of the supposed 'tricks' to try to stabilize your framerate, like clearing ps3 cache (restart after xx hours of play) and deleting + reinstalling the game data?
#25 Posted by Sokol4ever (6305 posts) -

Fallout 3 was fine with me personally, no issue with freezes. However, the DLC are different story. Constant very slow, un-playable frame rates and freezes. A mess.

The core game itself however is normal. Stay away from DLC's, Bethesda screwed up on those.

#26 Posted by ThePerro (3103 posts) -

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

[QUOTE="PetJel"] I actually had no problems at ALL with Operation Anchorage. No fps issues, no freezing. I think it's more about the order in which you play them, as I played O:A as my first dlc.PetJel

Wow. That's a shame. :( OA was my favourite DLC for the game, together with Point Lookout. Did you ever try one of the supposed 'tricks' to try to stabilize your framerate, like clearing ps3 cache (restart after xx hours of play) and deleting + reinstalling the game data?

I never tried that, I basically played through the pain lol. I finished the DLC, and if anything the Gauss Rifle was worth going through the annoyance.

#27 Posted by ristactionjakso (5730 posts) -

lol another Bethesda P.O.S.

#28 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"][QUOTE="ThePerro"]

ThePerro

I never tried that, I basically played through the pain lol. I finished the DLC, and if anything the Gauss Rifle was worth going through the annoyance.

Second that, the Gauss was awesome.
#29 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

ThePerro

Try the place where the steel ingots are , i never wanted to break a disc so bad! But it's still my favorite game.:)

#30 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I don't know about the GOTY edition, but I have Fallout 3 PS3 and it performs perfectly, I only had like one freeze but that was after I played it for several hours (the game is very addicting). This is after the update for it however.

But Point Lookout and Broken Steel are the only good DLC's worth playing honestly. Operation Anchorage is a one time thing and it's short, The Pitt is a little better but also too short.

#31 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

volume_three

This is very true. As soon as the game starts to stutter, save, quit and restart. This way you can pretty much avoid freezing at all. And yeah, it's still going on. It's so old now, they won't do much patching anymore. And with not much I meant nothing at all ^^