external hdd for ps3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

daverob1208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 daverob1208
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I've preordered a ps3 and have been reading on the forums about the games taking up to 5 gigs of hdd.

I was under the impresion that so much of the game was loaded to hdd to help with the blue ray drive speed but didnt realise this data was left on the hdd.

I was wondering if any one knows if you can connect an external hdd drive via usb to the ps3 i know it will take some time to fill up the 60 gigs but over the years all the games I want to play are soon going to fill up the hdd and I dont want to have to delete any data from old games as i used to have to do with my old ps1 and 2 memory cards.

dacounciler171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 dacounciler171
Member since 2003 • 275 Posts
  This simply is not true.  Games do not take up space on your harddisk, they simply run faster on them buy using the hard disk as a cache.  It is true you can install certain games (ie RR7).  Load times are increased but you don't really need to do it.  The games don't take that long to load without installing them.  Don't worry about hard drive space and if you want to you can go out and buy a bigger hard drive. 
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
This simply is not true. Games do not take up space on your harddisk, they simply run faster on them buy using the hard disk as a cache. It is true you can install certain games (ie RR7). Load times are increased but you don't really need to do it. The games don't take that long to load without installing them. Don't worry about hard drive space and if you want to you can go out and buy a bigger hard drive. dacounciler171
I think you mean installing with decrease load times. Increase means to grow or get longer/bigger. Common mistake.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts
  This simply is not true.  Games do not take up space on your harddisk, they simply run faster on them buy using the hard disk as a cache.  It is true you can install certain games (ie RR7).  Load times are increased but you don't really need to do it.  The games don't take that long to load without installing them.  Don't worry about hard drive space and if you want to you can go out and buy a bigger hard drive.  dacounciler171
just to add to that...I have installed Genji and it doesnt take up any where near 5GB...its more like 1500 kb...who ever said a game takes up a number of GB has never installed a game on their PS3...its not like a computer, it doesnt install the game in its entirety...
Amidamaru_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Amidamaru_01
Member since 2004 • 594 Posts
So then is it possible to connect an external hard drive to the ps3 by usb?
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jwat4
So then is it possible to connect an external hard drive to the ps3 by usb?Amidamaru_01
Its possible but I dont think you can install games on it...I think the only thing you can do with it is copy / move items...
Avatar image for functioningbadl
functioningbadl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 functioningbadl
Member since 2005 • 111 Posts
I think it would be better to just upgrade your harddrive, 120GB 2.5" satas go around $150 today or even cheaper if you look hard enough. But Yes you can plug in an external harddrive to your PS3. I use my flashdrive often to put in more music and videos.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jwat4
I think it would be better to just upgrade your harddrive, 120GB 2.5" satas go around $150 today or even cheaper if you look hard enough. But Yes you can plug in an external harddrive to your PS3. I use my flashdrive often to put in more music and videos.functioningbadl
$150?....You can get a 2.5" SATA 160GB Western Digital HDD at Newegg.com for $119
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
OK don't know to much about computer hardware so since you guys says upgrade - with the 2.5" options listed below you would simply take out the HDD and put one of this in there instead? Or is it a different way to do this?
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts
[QUOTE="functioningbadl"]I think it would be better to just upgrade your harddrive, 120GB 2.5" satas go around $150 today or even cheaper if you look hard enough. But Yes you can plug in an external harddrive to your PS3. I use my flashdrive often to put in more music and videos.jwat4
$150?....You can get a 2.5" SATA 160GB Western Digital HDD at Newegg.com for $119

and a 120GB is only $85. now that's cheap.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eclipsed4utoo
OK don't know to much about computer hardware so since you guys says upgrade - with the 2.5" options listed below you would simply take out the HDD and put one of this in there instead? Or is it a different way to do this?svenskamerikan
the PS3 comes with an instruction book. in that instruction book, it gives you step by step instructions on how to swap the hard drive. you just pull the old one out and put the new one in. the PS3 will format it and then you are good to go.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jwat4

[QUOTE="svenskamerikan"]OK don't know to much about computer hardware so since you guys says upgrade - with the 2.5" options listed below you would simply take out the HDD and put one of this in there instead? Or is it a different way to do this?eclipsed4utoo
the PS3 comes with an instruction book. in that instruction book, it gives you step by step instructions on how to swap the hard drive. you just pull the old one out and put the new one in. the PS3 will format it and then you are good to go.

The instruction manual provides information about the installation of a new HDD but they are far from being step by step instructions...You will find better tutorials on Youtube... 

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 eclipsed4utoo

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="svenskamerikan"]OK don't know to much about computer hardware so since you guys says upgrade - with the 2.5" options listed below you would simply take out the HDD and put one of this in there instead? Or is it a different way to do this?jwat4

The instruction manual provides information about the installation of a new HDD but they are far from being step by step instructions...You will find better tutorials on Youtube... 

doesn't the instruction book come with pictures?
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jwat4
[QUOTE="jwat4"]

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="svenskamerikan"]OK don't know to much about computer hardware so since you guys says upgrade - with the 2.5" options listed below you would simply take out the HDD and put one of this in there instead? Or is it a different way to do this?eclipsed4utoo

doesn't the instruction book come with pictures?

Very few...it shows a picture of the plate covering the HDD being removed...and then basically shows a picture indicating how to remove the HDD but thats it...its not very helpfull aside  from showing you which direction to move the hard drive when removing it...

Im just saying you would be better off watching a Youtube tutorial if you have never done anything like this...its much easier to see what is actually going on...

svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
Thanks for the advice - Youtube and tutorial it will be. I must have skipped that part of the manual so will go back and check it. My thinking is that the 60GB will be good for quite awhile so when I am ready to do the switch (1yr or so) there should be good 200+GB drives out there......
Amidamaru_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Amidamaru_01
Member since 2004 • 594 Posts

[QUOTE="Amidamaru_01"]So then is it possible to connect an external hard drive to the ps3 by usb?jwat4

Its possible but I dont think you can install games on it...I think the only thing you can do with it is copy / move items...

Just items like files, or can you use it to save games as well?

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jwat4

[QUOTE="Amidamaru_01"]So then is it possible to connect an external hard drive to the ps3 by usb?[QUOTE="jwat4"]Its possible but I dont think you can install games on it...I think the only thing you can do with it is copy / move items...Amidamaru_01

Just items like files, or can you use it to save games as well?

As far as I know you have to save files on to the internal HDD...and then from there you can either copy and move it to the external or you can simply move the files to the external HDD...
Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
does the external hdd actually works with the PS3 for u can save games?
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jwat4
does the external hdd actually works with the PS3 for u can save games?Keasy4
As far as I know you cannot directly save to the external HDD...you can move saved files back and forth between the PS3's internal HDD and the external HDD
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 eclipsed4utoo
does the external hdd actually works with the PS3 for u can save games?Keasy4
not to save games directly to it. The PS3 will always save directly to it's internal HDD.
filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 filfili
Member since 2003 • 1593 Posts
Can you download a demo, than move it to the external hard drive, then move it back to the ps3?  Can you do this for saved game too?
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jwat4

Can you download a demo, than move it to the external hard drive, then move it back to the ps3?  Can you do this for saved game too?filfili

Game saves yes you can move those back and forth....demos on the other hand I dont think you can...I have not tried to do this though so I cannot say for certain that you cannot....

filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 filfili

Can you transfer downloadable games, or can you re-download them for free?

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jwat4

filfili
You can re-download them, there is a thing in the PSN Store called download list and there you will find all your previous downloads...
filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 filfili
[QUOTE="filfili"]

jwat4

You can re-download them, there is a thing in the PSN Store called download list and there you will find all your previous downloads...

Great, thanks.  I have a 20GB am wondering if I should buy an external HD which I could also use for my PC, or if I should just upgrade the ps3 hd.  I suppose if I upgraded the internal hd, I'd need an external to transfer game saves right?

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jwat4
[QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="filfili"]

filfili

Great, thanks.  I have a 20GB am wondering if I should buy an external HD which I could also use for my PC, or if I should just upgrade the ps3 hd.  I suppose if I upgraded the internal hd, I'd need an external to transfer game saves right?

If you have a USB Thumbdrive (Flash drive) or like a card reader and memory card for a camera you can transfer saves onto the memory card...thats what I did... I prefer the internal upgrade...160GB HDD is more than enough and I dont have to worry about transfering files and so on...
filfili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 filfili
[QUOTE="filfili"][QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="filfili"]

jwat4

If you have a USB Thumbdrive (Flash drive) or like a card reader and memory card for a camera you can transfer saves onto the memory card...thats what I did... I prefer the internal upgrade...160GB HDD is more than enough and I dont have to worry about transfering files and so on...

Great.  Thanks for the info.  Its much appreciated.

Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
[QUOTE="Keasy4"]does the external hdd actually works with the PS3 for u can save games?eclipsed4utoo
not to save games directly to it. The PS3 will always save directly to it's internal HDD.

ook so transfer to it oook its kinda good that way so when u play a old game u dont want just transfer it to the external hdd