External hard drive for ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bren128 (2352 posts) -
do any of you use an external HD? and if so was it easy to connect with ps3? and once you have a external does that automatically become your primary harddrive? or can i use both at once?
#2 Posted by hiryu3 (7304 posts) -
yes I use a 320gig Western Digital My Book. As long as it is FAT32 formatted then it works right out the box. I back up my PS3, computer, office work and store all downloaded PSN videos there and still got 200gig leftover.
#3 Posted by Bren128 (2352 posts) -

yes I use a 320gig Western Digital My Book. As long as it is FAT32 formatted then it works right out the box. I back up my PS3, computer, office work and store all downloaded PSN videos there and still got 200gig leftover.hiryu3

someone said i wouldnt be able to save my game files to the external? only media? is that true, cause i just need more space for game saves basically. and is there an option to use the external as the primary hd? or does the ps3 access both at the same time? bah sorry for the questions

#4 Posted by WongB (1701 posts) -
How can I format my External to FAT32? Because it is currently NTSC and my PS3 can't read it.
#6 Posted by WalterPeck (371 posts) -
You can only use an external HDD for PS3 backup (which includes saves) or storage of media (music, photos, videos). You cannot use it as the PS3's main HDD. Now if you got an external HDD with eSATA, and plugged it into the SATA port inside the PS3 in place of the main drive... hmmm...
#7 Posted by WalterPeck (371 posts) -
An addendum: while an external HDD can be used to BACK UP PS3 saves you cannot use it to SAVE PS3 games in game. You can only back them up using the PS3 backup program.
#8 Posted by hiryu3 (7304 posts) -
#10 Posted by --JpR-- (394 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bren128"]

would this work? : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8443366&productCategoryId=abcat0504003&type=product&tab=2&id=1183160722718#productdetail

hiryu3

Yes it will.

And for reformatting it look up boot disk and download the dos/win98 bootdisk boot up your system with it and format your external drive.

Yes you can save you game saves on it as long as it is not protected but even still a full system backup copies over everything on your drive/

i have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3160024A-RK-External-FireWire-Drive/dp/B0000DIFGJ

it says its already formatted in FAT-32 when i check its properties but the PS3 still doesnt recognize it..

i treid everything... helppp?

#11 Posted by solid_RM (13 posts) -

I'm going to back up my ps3 hard drive to an external drive, before fitting a new internal 320 gb drive.I was just wondering as i have 37 gb of data on my ps3 how long would it take to copy it all over to my external drive?

Thanks

#12 Posted by tonesonic (374 posts) -
[QUOTE="--JpR--"][QUOTE="hiryu3"][QUOTE="Bren128"]

would this work? : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8443366&productCategoryId=abcat0504003&type=product&tab=2&id=1183160722718#productdetail

Yes it will.

And for reformatting it look up boot disk and download the dos/win98 bootdisk boot up your system with it and format your external drive.

Yes you can save you game saves on it as long as it is not protected but even still a full system backup copies over everything on your drive/

i have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3160024A-RK-External-FireWire-Drive/dp/B0000DIFGJ

it says its already formatted in FAT-32 when i check its properties but the PS3 still doesnt recognize it..

i treid everything... helppp?

it may have a partition which sometimes PS3's dont like..... try reformatting it, and if it fails, just take it to your local PC shop and get them to format it for you as a single partition ...they will probably do it for nothing
#13 Posted by tonesonic (374 posts) -
[QUOTE="solid_RM"]

I'm going to back up my ps3 hard drive to an external drive, before fitting a new internal 320 gb drive.I was just wondering as i have 37 gb of data on my ps3 how long would it take to copy it all over to my external drive?

Thanks

Probably looking at an hour to 90 minutes mate
#14 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
If you don't mind my asking, why don't you just swap out the internal hard drive? If you shop around you can find a 320gig fairly cheap.
#15 Posted by tonesonic (374 posts) -
If you don't mind my asking, why don't you just swap out the internal hard drive? If you shop around you can find a 320gig fairly cheap. Canvas_Of_Flesh
THIS !!!!!!!