Excuse me?? PS4 titles to take up HOW MUCH hdd space??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

So I walked into Best Buy today and they already have Ps4 titles for sale. 3 in particular - COD: Ghosts, Knack, and KIllzone. I looked at the boxes all excited since I plan on getting my Ps4 by the end of this month, and I notice a GIANT red flag on the back of these game cases. The harddrive space for just ONE game, namely Knack and Killzone, and perhaps COD, all say "45/46GB Minimum." Um.... MINIMUM???? The Ps4 standard unit will only have 500 GB of space! Does this mean that I only be able to fit about 10 to 12 games on it? Even if I upgraded to a 1TB HDD, that would only just about double that number! My Ps3 library is over 70 titles! And all fit on a 250G HDD!

Needless to say, I was shocked. Are they serious? Am I wrong about anything here? How are we supposed to build our Ps4 libraries if these games take up these ludicrous amounts of HDD space???

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Welcome to the future. Im sure to install it it will require 45 gb but when you are finished playing it, can't you just uninstall it? Idk how it works :P

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

You can perhaps uninstall, but this will totally kill my casual gaming habits I do with my Ps3. Sometimes if I just find a game on sale I'll simply get it just to try it out, and right now there are dozens of games on there, and ones Ive beaten a long time ago. The beauty of all this is that I don't have to put such meticulous effort in just playing a game for a little while, even if I don't beat it. What if I get a game, decide to play it a bit, but want another and decide to play that, but have several games for which I do intend to beat but am at different points? Do I just have to delete certain ones that aren't priorities and focus on ONLY 1 or 2 at a time? That's totally kills lots of the motivation I would have to get this system so early. I've got a bevy of gift cards that I was going to use but I'm perhaps thinking if I should just now wait a while til I even get this system. This is seriously not to my liking in the least.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I heard that it's caching.

So it could clear some of the data automatically if needed. You don't need to install all of it to start playing either.

kljohns2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kljohns2
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

@kingoflife9 said:

are you honestly EVER playing 10-12 ps4 games at once? Once you beat a single player game you can just delete it until you want to go back to it a year down the line. And most multiplayer games have yearly editions so you won't save last years madden if you bought this years version.

^^this^^

Tanden_Stoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 Tanden_Stoker
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

@kingoflife9:

How true the story about annuals games might be true. dont forget the 'free' games you get with PS+. They will take up alot of data aswell.

Im sure most of us will have to swap the HDD out for a bigger one after a year or so. And to prevent back up problems( Sony not allowing external HDD's) i am going to swap it out right on launch day :)

gta50419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By gta50419
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts

That's if you install them, Just play from the Disk everytime and it'll take about 1gb

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@good_sk8er7 said:

So it could clear some of the data automatically if needed. You don't need to install all of it to start playing either.

Everything I've heard says this. I've seen it claimed that there is a certain amount of hard drive space reserved for game caching and when you start playing a new/different game it will clear space if necessary in that reserved amount and cache in the background while you play.

We will find out how accurate this is soon enough.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@The_Rick_14 said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

Everything I've heard says this. I've seen it claimed that there is a certain amount of hard drive space reserved for game caching and when you start playing a new/different game it will clear space if necessary in that reserved amount and cache in the background while you play.

We will find out how accurate this is soon enough.

Hopefully it is accurate. I don't want to have to do all of that manually all the time.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

What is the right replacement hdd for the PS4? I'd like to swap out on launch day. I've read that it's 5400rpm 2.5 sata just like the PS3 but I wan to be sure before I order one in time to arrive by Thursday?

Anyone read anything different or/or the same?