Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - Defeating Alduin at the Throat of the World.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FantasyCloud9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FantasyCloud9
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
So, I left most of my main quest lines until I was a higher level, thinking that if I had better stuff, enemies and quests may be a little easier - not in this case. I'm now level 50, and on the quest "Alduin's Bane", where you team up with Paarthurnax to defeat Alduin at the Throat of the World. I use Dragonrend to bring him down to the ground, but the only thing that seems to be doing any damage to Alduin, is my horse (Shadowmere). I've used shouts (Frost Breath, Marked for Death, Fire Breath, Ice Form and Unrelenting Force), and don't seem to do any damage; nor do my Daedric (frost and soul enchanted) swords, or bow (with ebony arrows). I've attacked him head-on, his wings and his back legs, nothing works. I've watched videos on YouTube, and those players seem to do it with ease (or at least kill him), so I've come to the conclusion that I'm just too high a level, so Alduin's way OP. So far, I've died six times (with over 50 assorted health potions), and done damage of less than a millimeter on his bar of health, so I've rage-quit and reloaded to an earlier save (only 10 mins beforehand), in the hope that maybe I can do something to actually be able to finish the quest. Any tips?
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

Found this on the Skyrim Wiki...

After viewing the cutscene and engaging in battle with Alduin, it is possible for Alduin to not take any damage whatsoever and/or to become stuck. What causes this is still unknown. A known method of fixing this is by reloading an earlier save from before using the Elder Scroll in the Time wound. Also, leaving the location and fast traveling back to it fixes this. A possible reason for the not taking damage is using Dragonrend on him before his speech is over. Another method is to travel to High Hrothgar, enter and exit the building, and run back up to the mountain to resume the fight.

Hope it helped.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Agree with the guy above me - I had that same problem. Just reload from an earlier save and when that battle starts, wait until the dragon is done talking (and maybe a bit longer) before attacking. It should work okay then.

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts
Usually he's really easy to beat, even at high levels. It's probably a bug as the guys just mentioned.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I remember running across an indestructible dragon one time... this may be the case here if he's not taking any damage at all.
FantasyCloud9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FantasyCloud9
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Found this on the Skyrim Wiki...

After viewing the cutscene and engaging in battle with Alduin, it is possible for Alduin to not take any damage whatsoever and/or to become stuck. What causes this is still unknown. A known method of fixing this is by reloading an earlier save from before using the Elder Scroll in the Time wound. Also, leaving the location and fast traveling back to it fixes this. A possible reason for the not taking damage is using Dragonrend on him before his speech is over. Another method is to travel to High Hrothgar, enter and exit the building, and run back up to the mountain to resume the fight.

Hope it helped.

volume_three
I did use Dragonrend on Alduin while he was still in the sky, and before he finished his speech, I believe. I stopped playing after I reloaded an earlier save, so maybe it might work if I follow what you've said. Thankyou so much!