E3 2012: What Happened to 3D Stereoscopic Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Getbacktogaming
Getbacktogaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Getbacktogaming
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Who's in a better position than Sony to promote 3D? They are pioneers when it comes to making 3D accessible through gaming, video, Blu-Ray format, TV systems for home use... etc. Ridiculous amounts of lobbying if you ask me, but that's the price of innovation, and cheers to Sony for making the effort!

The year 2011 had its share of great 3D titles of which two I was looking forward to playing; Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3.

E3 2012 is just over and I realize there are 3 Sony exclusive titles I REALLY wanted to play:

- Beyond: Two Souls

- God of War: Ascension

- The Last of Us

...but something feels wrong...

NONE OF THOSE GAMES IS PLANNED TO BE REALISED IN 3D! (see the respective playstation.com preorder pages : http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/the-last-of-us-ps3.html, http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/beyond-two-souls-ps3.html, http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/god-of-war-ascension-ps3.html)

Sony, what happened to your commitment to 3D games? Of your 3 biggest titles announced at E3, none of them are going to be in 3D? Did you give up on the technology already?

Anybody out there who owns a PS3 to play 3D titles disappointed by this news?

Personally, I'm not so sure I want a PS3 anymore... PLEASE SONY MAKE THIS RIGHT!

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Yoshida-san said something to effect that the honeymoon with 3d is over for Playstation.
Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
good. It was gimmicky and unneeded.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

i dont need all games to support 3D, a nice 2D/3D balance is the best experience imo , there are still lots of good games having 3D , for example recently ive found out ghost recon soldier supports 3D after i bought the game expecting a 2D game :)

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Sony realized that 3D gaming isn't making 3D TV sets fly off the store shelves like they had hoped.It was fairly stupid of them to expect that many people would rush out and buy those sets so soon after everyone had just put their money into HD sets. The public is willing to invest in new technologies only every so often, and it was much too soon for the public at large to drop hundreds (or even thousands) on new televisions again.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sony is taking a huge bath at retail. 3D televisions in general are not selling well. People willing to fork over $1200.00-$3500.00 for a state of the art 3D television from Sony. As well as other television makers in a bad economy are few and far betweeen. 3D televisions and gaming are sidelined because of a bad economy.

EB games did recently discount the Sony 3D 24 inch monitor with 2 pairs of 3D glasses and 2 3D enabled games. Motorstorm Apocalypse and The Bigs 2012. For $250.00 which is a great deal. But also a sign the Sony 3D monitor is not selling well.

The bad worldwide economy has bought a halt to the 3D revolution.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmnesiaHaze

Sony realized that 3D gaming isn't making 3D TV sets fly off the store shelves like they had hoped.It was fairly stupid of them to expect that many people would rush out and buy those sets so soon after everyone had just put their money into HD sets. The public is willing to invest in new technologies only every so often, and it was much too soon for the public at large to drop hundreds (or even thousands) on new televisions again.

worlock77
of course 3D gaming isnt selling as much TVs as movies because compared to 3D movies where the image is much better (especially when recorded in real 3D) the current gen consoles arent able to produce a good 3D hi res 3D game image, maybe next gen consoles will be able to use the 3D potential of TVs we already have today a little bit better, im willing to forgive those small flaws though because the 3D games are usually still better than playing them in 2D , its hard to go back to a flat image when already played the game in 3D without the display barrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
The bad worldwide economy has bought a halt to the 3D revolution. Megavideogamer
At least in the video game industry. 3D movies are huge worldwide
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Lots of movies are being released in both formats, but I don't personally know anyone who prefers it when going out to the theater...

:|

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

worlock77
That and 3D is still gimmicky. Until there is 3D without glasses, it will never go mainstream. 3D has been around since the 50s.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

bobaban

That and 3D is still gimmicky. Until there is 3D without glasses, it will never go mainstream. 3D has been around since the 50s.

Sterioscopic imaging has been around longer than that... And it has never causght on past a fringe crowd. I'm impressed with some of the things I've seen in the last few years, but I wouldn't want to play a whole game like that (with the 3D). It's not something I want in gaming, or in movies, Perhaps after trying to get everyone on the bandwagon, and failing, they've "changed their focus..."

Like Motion Controls, I think 3D will always be just a gimmick and never contribute anything revolutionary to the medium, where-by it becomes necessary or desired, in order to complete or enhance a title.

Getbacktogaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Getbacktogaming

Yoshida-san said something to effect that the honeymoon with 3d is over for Playstation.MethodManFTW

Oh, sounds pertinent, if you ever find the original quote/article you're welcome to send it my way!

Getbacktogaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Getbacktogaming

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

AmnesiaHaze

of course 3D gaming isnt selling as much TVs as movies because compared to 3D movies where the image is much better (especially when recorded in real 3D) the current gen consoles arent able to produce a good 3D hi res 3D game image, maybe next gen consoles will be able to use the 3D potential of TVs we already have today a little bit better, im willing to forgive those small flaws though because the 3D games are usually still better than playing them in 2D , its hard to go back to a flat image when already played the game in 3D without the display barrier

@AmnesiaHaze

On my Xbox that would be true... most 3D games are either side by side or top to bottom format which is half resolution but on most PS3 exclusives, the 3D is full resolution, although that is still just a meager 720p. In fact Batman: Arkham City is full stereoscopic 720p on both PS3 and Xbox360 and it looks amazing. With all due respect I sorta disagree with your resolution argument because few games are a full 1080p in the current resolution and thus full stereoscopic 720p 3D still looks better than it's 2D version. One thing I have to say though is games like Uncharted 3 have a significant drop in framerate when switched to 3D which arguably takes away from playability... Anyways ultimately I agree with you it is indeed hard to go back to a "flat image" after having played the game in 3D, and as such I just wish more people would've had the change to try the technology out before condemning it!

Getbacktogaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Getbacktogaming

i dont need all games to support 3D, a nice 2D/3D balance is the best experience imo , there are still lots of good games having 3D , for example recently ive found out ghost recon soldier supports 3D after i bought the game expecting a 2D game :)

AmnesiaHaze

Oh, I didn't realize that but all the same, I don't need a PS3 for that... the 3D of Ghost Recon works on Xbox as well unless I'm mistaken? How do you find the game? Reviews were a little disappointing...

It's sad but there aren't that many PS3 exclusive games that I wish to play so I was really gonna justify buying a second console (i.e. PS3) to expand my 3D library but I'm not so sure anymore...

Getbacktogaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Getbacktogaming

Oh well thanks for everyone for all the answers! I guess the general consensus is 3D is a bit of a failure especially when it comes to videogames!

I personally enjoy it a lot and I just wish more games would support it. I hope all of you guys at least get a chance to try it out for more than a couple minutes because like "AmnesiaHaze" said you realise just how flat 2D games are once you turn the 3D off and this is where you realize just how pleasant a viewing experience the perception of depth can be. True it doesn't add to the gameplay but graphically it is a better looking experience.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmnesiaHaze

On my Xbox that would be true... most 3D games are either side by side or top to bottom format which is half resolution but on most PS3 exclusives, the 3D is full resolution, although that is still just a meager 720p. In fact Batman: Arkham City is full stereoscopic 720p on both PS3 and Xbox360 and it looks amazing.Getbacktogaming

i wasnt refering as much to the video resolution , im simply comparing the current 3D visual experience in games with current 3D CGI movies on the same hardware, resolution etc.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]Yoshida-san said something to effect that the honeymoon with 3d is over for Playstation.Getbacktogaming

Oh, sounds pertinent, if you ever find the original quote/article you're welcome to send it my way!

Of course!

Sorry, would of link it at first but I was on my iPad..

Here is the article:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/sony-on-lack-of-vita-games-at-its-press-conference/4203/

Here is the section about 3d:

And unless I'm mistaken, there was nary a mention of 3D during the press conference. Much of Sony's event last year was actually in 3D, and there was a big push to show how much Sony was getting behind it. No more? "While I was waiting for the show to start, I was watching the Twitter feed and one journalist tweeted: 'thank god there's no 3D glasses.'" he said. "I showed it to Mr. Kaz Hirai and he laughed. What's happening with 3D is that it's no longer new." It appears 3D has been reduced to a bullet point. Yoshida would not confirm what games from Sony, like Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, would be actively supporting 3D. Expect that number to drop off, though. "I think that initial evangelizing period is over," he said.Giantbomb

Getbacktogaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Getbacktogaming

[QUOTE="Getbacktogaming"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]

MethodManFTW

Of course!

Sorry, would of link it at first but I was on my iPad..

Here is the article:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/sony-on-lack-of-vita-games-at-its-press-conference/4203/

Here is the section about 3d:

And unless I'm mistaken, there was nary a mention of 3D during the press conference. Much of Sony's event last year was actually in 3D, and there was a big push to show how much Sony was getting behind it. No more? "While I was waiting for the show to start, I was watching the Twitter feed and one journalist tweeted: 'thank god there's no 3D glasses.'" he said. "I showed it to Mr. Kaz Hirai and he laughed. What's happening with 3D is that it's no longer new." It appears 3D has been reduced to a bullet point. Yoshida would not confirm what games from Sony, like Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, would be actively supporting 3D. Expect that number to drop off, though. "I think that initial evangelizing period is over," he said.Giantbomb

Thanks!

Getbacktogaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Getbacktogaming

Ah, apparently "God of War : Ascension" is going to be 3D = D!http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/07/understanding-sonys-lessened-focus-on-3d-at-this-years-e3/(I don't care much about the other 2) ...and some people say there is still possibility that The Last of Us will be 3D as well...