Dragon's Dogma - discipline farming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

hey i just ranked up sorcery to the max and i got these real awesome spells. the problem is i never have enough time to cast them, or i lose all my stamina and am left very vulnerable when i do. i don't have enough discipline for the other high powered spells and augments i want. i was wondering is there any way to farm discipline fast? im about lvl 34 i think. i dont really care if it makes me level up, i just want as much discipline as possible.

also, when or where do i get new gear? ive been running around with the same early game scholar robe for a whle now (the dirty white one) and the same staff mostly doing sidequests. i haven't really found a lot of better gear and the vendors aren't selling anything new, but my pawns look awesome and have good gear. do i have to progress in the main story to get new stuff? im at the part where i just unlocked the wyrm hunt quests after running away from the everfall, and i finished 2 of them i think. right now my quest is to explore the catacombs or something.

i have like 700k that i don't know what to do with cuz there is like no new gear to buy.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

By the time I got all my Fighter skills and started NG+, I had like 50000 discipline lol. You'll have to complete a few more quest until [spoiler] you get to meet the duke [SPOILER END]. After that, you can buy much better gear from vendors and you can upgrade them to 2 or 3 stars and can live on it until around the last few missions. Once you get the gear, go out and pick random fights and do Notice Board quests and fight at night too and you'll get a lot of Discipline and also materials to upgrade gear. If you are playing Sorcerer, you should aim for kills in a single spell since the huge damage balances out the slow charging of spells. Get pawns with knowledge, not awesome gear and have two melee pawns to hold back monsters while you charge up and a mage since Sorcerers can't heal. You might also want to select one or two of your six spells to be a quick-charge one like High Ingle. Discipline trickles in really fast once you get past certain missions. You should fight the Drake in Devilfire Grove and Dragonforge both your and your main pawn's equipment and the guy gives a lot of experience. Hope I helped.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 idunnodude

By the time I got all my Fighter skills and started NG+, I had like 50000 discipline lol. You'll have to complete a few more quest until [spoiler] you get to meet the duke [SPOILER END]. After that, you can buy much better gear from vendors and you can upgrade them to 2 or 3 stars and can live on it until around the last few missions. Once you get the gear, go out and pick random fights and do Notice Board quests and fight at night too and you'll get a lot of Discipline and also materials to upgrade gear. If you are playing Sorcerer, you should aim for kills in a single spell since the huge damage balances out the slow charging of spells. Get pawns with knowledge, not awesome gear and have two melee pawns to hold back monsters while you charge up and a mage since Sorcerers can't heal. You might also want to select one or two of your six spells to be a quick-charge one like High Ingle. Discipline trickles in really fast once you get past certain missions. You should fight the Drake in Devilfire Grove and Dragonforge both your and your main pawn's equipment and the guy gives a lot of experience. Hope I helped.

LordTrexGuy
so do you get just dicipline from fighting enemies? is there any faster efficient way to farm them or do i just keep fighting normally? also, how far along would you say i am in the main quest (without spoilers)? see i was wondering about the drake in devilfire. i tried early on and got my ass handed to me in 1 hit. and with this dragonforge thing, should i not wait till get better gear and then dragonforge it? is that the highest method of upgrading your gear? i dont really understand the upgrading thing. i been storing all my materials and havent used anything cuz im thinking i should wait till i get better gear and then upgrade. at this point i just let my pawns pick up stuff cuz i always end up over encumbered and running slow. id like to get the best stuff before i beat the game and NG+. cuz i imagine there wont be a lot to do after i beat it, the sidequests aren't particularily interesting unlike skyrim. thanks for the help.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
This game is not Skyrim. That is both it's strength and it's weakness. I like both games (probably I'm the only person who does). The combat is more interesting, but the stories are not as good. DD is one of those games where you either like it or you don't.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 idunnodude
This game is not Skyrim. That is both it's strength and it's weakness. I like both games (probably I'm the only person who does). The combat is more interesting, but the stories are not as good. DD is one of those games where you either like it or you don't.jordonj
i also like both games. and yeah the combat is the highlight of this game. this is one of those games i feel like has amazing potential. im playing through it thinking man, this is kinda wierd. it seems like they missed on some things that are so essential to a game like this, as if they kinda rushed it or something? i think it couldve been a skyrim killer for me if it had a better story and more immersiveness, and for the love of god some fast travel. i gotta say i like skyrim better though, the world is just more interesting as well as the sidequests, although the combat really sucked.. i'm curious to see how DD2 or the expansion plays out. its a shame really.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I found some little bronze statue that I gave to the weapons dealer in the main city, and after that he had a few new items of armor.  I dunno, I haven't spent any exp on skills in quite a while as I've bought all the best ones and don't see the point in buying other stuff I won't use.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 idunnodude

I found some little bronze statue that I gave to the weapons dealer in the main city, and after that he had a few new items of armor.  I dunno, I haven't spent any exp on skills in quite a while as I've bought all the best ones and don't see the point in buying other stuff I won't use.

Jackc8
yeah i just pretty much just stopped worrying about the discipline points and played on. i gained them quick enough and im not changing vocation or anything, playing as pure sorcerer so now i have more discipline points then i know what to do with. this game is definately unique, i just beat the "last" boss of the story and am having a total wtf moment right now, definately wasn't expecting this kind of turn out. thats all im gonna say now though don't wanna spoil it lol. oh also, just had a thought. how hard would this game be playing solo? like without any pawns. i heard ppl have pulled it off on warrior classes and stuff, is it even possible with a sorcerer? i can't imagine it would be since the long casting times leave you extremely vulnerable, even with the augments and the wyrmking ring and pawns to back you up. i wonder if anyone has done it. one of the things i like about this game besides the combat is the customization and selection of gear. theres really a great variety of weapons, armor, robes and my favourite, CAPES! i just some really awesome looking all white gandalf inspired gear and man my dude looks so epic lol. definately one of my favourite looks from all the rpgs ive played.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

idunnodude

yeah i just pretty much just stopped worrying about the discipline points and played on. i gained them quick enough and im not changing vocation or anything, playing as pure sorcerer so now i have more discipline points then i know what to do with. this game is definately unique, i just beat the "last" boss of the story and am having a total wtf moment right now, definately wasn't expecting this kind of turn out. thats all im gonna say now though don't wanna spoil it lol. oh also, just had a thought. how hard would this game be playing solo? like without any pawns. i heard ppl have pulled it off on warrior classes and stuff, is it even possible with a sorcerer? i can't imagine it would be since the long casting times leave you extremely vulnerable, even with the augments and the wyrmking ring and pawns to back you up. i wonder if anyone has done it. one of the things i like about this game besides the combat is the customization and selection of gear. theres really a great variety of weapons, armor, robes and my favourite, CAPES! i just some really awesome looking all white gandalf inspired gear and man my dude looks so epic lol. definately one of my favourite looks from all the rpgs ive played.

Now I'm looking forward to that ending, sounds cool :)

I started out as a mage but I was just suckin' down health potions every 10 seconds, and spamming the same spell on everybody.  So I switched to a warrior who just fights with a sword, and seemed to become instantly invincible.  I think you could probably make it through without pawns, depending on what difficulty you're playing at.  Even with the ogres or cyclops or whatever, it seems like when I climb on their backs and start whacking them in the back of the head with my sword, I'm doing about 80% of the damage.  Except once in a while their health will drop by about half - I don't know if that's my mage nailing them with some huge spell or maybe they fell to their knees and my other pawns got some good hits in on them.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

idunnodude

yeah i just pretty much just stopped worrying about the discipline points and played on. i gained them quick enough and im not changing vocation or anything, playing as pure sorcerer so now i have more discipline points then i know what to do with. this game is definately unique, i just beat the "last" boss of the story and am having a total wtf moment right now, definately wasn't expecting this kind of turn out. 

Just wait till you get to the end of your new game plus

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 idunnodude

[QUOTE="idunnodude"][QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Jehuty08

yeah i just pretty much just stopped worrying about the discipline points and played on. i gained them quick enough and im not changing vocation or anything, playing as pure sorcerer so now i have more discipline points then i know what to do with. this game is definately unique, i just beat the "last" boss of the story and am having a total wtf moment right now, definately wasn't expecting this kind of turn out. 

Just wait till you get to the end of your new game plus

so this game is meant to be beaten twice? i honestly wasn't planning on playing it again. i was wondering why they would pack all the best gear and stuff at the end, when there isn't much to do anymore except maybe endless ur dragon runs in the pursuit of getting more gear... i mean sure there is a lot of monsters and stuff to fight but no story progression or anything it's kind of a wierd format.

so is it only end of NG+ thats different? or is there more in the actual main story that changes or something? i guess what im asking is that is NG+ the exact same, story wise except the end im not sure i wanna play it again, great game but the lack of fast travel and immersiveness kinda killed it for me, especially since enemies respawn at the same place. i guess playing it right after dark souls was a mistake lol, same story with that game. i might just youtube it or something.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

so this game is meant to be beaten twice? i honestly wasn't planning on playing it again. i was wondering why they would pack all the best gear and stuff at the end, when there isn't much to do anymore except maybe endless ur dragon runs in the pursuit of getting more gear... i mean sure there is a lot of monsters and stuff to fight but no story progression or anything it's kind of a wierd format.

so is it only end of NG+ thats different? or is there more in the actual main story that changes or something? i guess what im asking is that is NG+ the exact same, story wise except the end im not sure i wanna play it again, great game but the lack of fast travel and immersiveness kinda killed it for me, especially since enemies respawn at the same place. i guess playing it right after dark souls was a mistake lol, same story with that game. i might just youtube it or something.

idunnodude

You can buy an infinite amount of port crystals and waystones from the black cat in NG+, you can fight the UR dragon from the beggining of the game and the ending will be slightly different.