Does Vita's UI needs updating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I don't know but whenever I fire up my PS4 and I just can't get over how slick it is in both functionality and looks. When I go back to my Vita, it doesn't feel like a Sony handheld with a funny looking UI and a lot of it is reminiscent of old PSP UI without the slick-looking XMB. I feel they should update the Vita UI and make it a bit closer to PS4 even if it's just looks.

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

UI Updates? Like how they applied anti-aliasing to the bubbles? One of the best updates yet :3

We could definitely use themes for the Vita though.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kjranu

@tempura13 said:

UI Updates? Like how they applied anti-aliasing to the bubbles? One of the best updates yet :3

We could definitely use themes for the Vita though.

That was definitely a nice improvement but no I'm not talking about that. The current UI looks like a cross between old UI used in PSP from 2005 and some new things created a few years ago with the introduction of Vita. The UI needs to be a lot more slick, similar to what we can see on PS4. Modern and professional that don't look or feel cheap.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

A update would be nice, but the current UI doesn't bug me. Its's fast and does the job.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

I like my Vita UI. :(

Wish I could make the bubbles stop moving though.

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tempura13
@Kjranu said:

That was definitely a nice improvement but no I'm not talking about that. The current UI looks like a cross between old UI used in PSP from 2005 and some new things created a few years ago with the introduction of Vita. The UI needs to be a lot more slick, similar to what we can see on PS4. Modern and professional that don't look or feel cheap.

Seems like they would have to overhaul the current OS to make it similar to the PS4's UI. At the very least, there's more customization options on the Vita. It's great if they can expand that.

And oh, Sony should also get rid of the compression when using wallpapers:

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kjranu

Yeah, an overhaul is what I think should be done. A world class handheld console deserves a world class UI but that's just me... My wallpapers seem to look okay, maybe it's just the resolution of your wallpaper? The fact the PS Vita resolution is 960xsomething should also be considered. I wish they went with a 1080p resolution but alas maybe for Vita 2? :D

@tempura13 said:
@Kjranu said:

Seems like they would have to overhaul the current OS to make it similar to the PS4's UI. At the very least, there's more customization options on the Vita. It's great if they can expand that.

And oh, Sony should also get rid of the compression when using wallpapers:

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I don't really care about the UI... I just open it up and click on whatever game and that's it. I SURE don't use it for browsing or anything like that. The shortcut for WiFi etc. is handy. I don't really have any complaints.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I really don't find the PS4 UI "slick looking". It's okay and works wells when firing up, but I think the PS4 could use some updating.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

@jasean79 said:

I really don't find the PS4 UI "slick looking". It's okay and works wells when firing up, but I think the PS4 could use some updating.

The PS4's UI is fine. All it needs is themes, the ability to change background color and the ability to organize content(if you own a lot of videos there's no way to organize them, it's a mess).

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tempura13
@Kjranu said:

Yeah, an overhaul is what I think should be done. A world class handheld console deserves a world class UI but that's just me... My wallpapers seem to look okay, maybe it's just the resolution of your wallpaper? The fact the PS Vita resolution is 960xsomething should also be considered. I wish they went with a 1080p resolution but alas maybe for Vita 2? :D

It's more of a double whammy since I'm using a native Vita screenshot (which was already compressed by the system in the first place). So, using it as a wallpaper compressed it even more.

I did notice that using a bigger image helps. Not sure if it's just me.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

@Lhomity said:

I like my Vita UI. :(

Wish I could make the bubbles stop moving though.

I thought jumping bubbles were cute.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

The UI does not bother me at all atm, i like it tbh

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

Make a better browser, better mail application... I don't care about the UI. Gaming needs better games, not attention to fluff interfaces and other meaningless junk.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#16 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The UI is garbage and I wish they change it.

Avatar image for smoothstone2002
smoothstone2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 smoothstone2002
Member since 2015 • 12 Posts

Think thats bad? Just look at the competition.

The 3ds interface belongs in 2002!

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

it's ok the way it is, the bubble icons are big enough so that it's not a hassle to tap them. If they make them smaller or some different size it will be hard on the eyes and finger fumbling taps. Personally I got sick of UI changes with iOS and Mac OS X in general, they keep trying to improve them but it just keep getting more and more of an eyesore and strain on the eyes; hidden drop down menus, hidden controls making it like a puzzle to figure out what the hell is going on/counter intuitive. Slightly off silver gray upon slightly whiter grayish silver upon or within whitish grayish silver that's slightly darker than the background of silver gray amidst a font of slightly dull whitish grayish silvery muted pale chalk white text.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Return to the ashes.