Does Vita's UI needs updating?

#1 Posted by Kjranu (1005 posts) -

I don't know but whenever I fire up my PS4 and I just can't get over how slick it is in both functionality and looks. When I go back to my Vita, it doesn't feel like a Sony handheld with a funny looking UI and a lot of it is reminiscent of old PSP UI without the slick-looking XMB. I feel they should update the Vita UI and make it a bit closer to PS4 even if it's just looks.

#2 Posted by tempura13 (463 posts) -

UI Updates? Like how they applied anti-aliasing to the bubbles? One of the best updates yet :3

We could definitely use themes for the Vita though.

#3 Posted by Kjranu (1005 posts) -

@tempura13 said:

UI Updates? Like how they applied anti-aliasing to the bubbles? One of the best updates yet :3

We could definitely use themes for the Vita though.

That was definitely a nice improvement but no I'm not talking about that. The current UI looks like a cross between old UI used in PSP from 2005 and some new things created a few years ago with the introduction of Vita. The UI needs to be a lot more slick, similar to what we can see on PS4. Modern and professional that don't look or feel cheap.

#4 Posted by marcheegsr (2701 posts) -

A update would be nice, but the current UI doesn't bug me. Its's fast and does the job.

#5 Edited by Lhomity (771 posts) -

I like my Vita UI. :(

Wish I could make the bubbles stop moving though.

#6 Posted by tempura13 (463 posts) -
@Kjranu said:

That was definitely a nice improvement but no I'm not talking about that. The current UI looks like a cross between old UI used in PSP from 2005 and some new things created a few years ago with the introduction of Vita. The UI needs to be a lot more slick, similar to what we can see on PS4. Modern and professional that don't look or feel cheap.

Seems like they would have to overhaul the current OS to make it similar to the PS4's UI. At the very least, there's more customization options on the Vita. It's great if they can expand that.

And oh, Sony should also get rid of the compression when using wallpapers:

#7 Edited by Kjranu (1005 posts) -

Yeah, an overhaul is what I think should be done. A world class handheld console deserves a world class UI but that's just me... My wallpapers seem to look okay, maybe it's just the resolution of your wallpaper? The fact the PS Vita resolution is 960xsomething should also be considered. I wish they went with a 1080p resolution but alas maybe for Vita 2? :D

@tempura13 said:
@Kjranu said:

Seems like they would have to overhaul the current OS to make it similar to the PS4's UI. At the very least, there's more customization options on the Vita. It's great if they can expand that.

And oh, Sony should also get rid of the compression when using wallpapers:

#8 Posted by donalbane (16339 posts) -

I don't really care about the UI... I just open it up and click on whatever game and that's it. I SURE don't use it for browsing or anything like that. The shortcut for WiFi etc. is handy. I don't really have any complaints.

#9 Edited by jasean79 (2374 posts) -

I really don't find the PS4 UI "slick looking". It's okay and works wells when firing up, but I think the PS4 could use some updating.

#10 Posted by porkchopxp (1153 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

I really don't find the PS4 UI "slick looking". It's okay and works wells when firing up, but I think the PS4 could use some updating.

The PS4's UI is fine. All it needs is themes, the ability to change background color and the ability to organize content(if you own a lot of videos there's no way to organize them, it's a mess).

#11 Posted by tempura13 (463 posts) -
@Kjranu said:

Yeah, an overhaul is what I think should be done. A world class handheld console deserves a world class UI but that's just me... My wallpapers seem to look okay, maybe it's just the resolution of your wallpaper? The fact the PS Vita resolution is 960xsomething should also be considered. I wish they went with a 1080p resolution but alas maybe for Vita 2? :D

It's more of a double whammy since I'm using a native Vita screenshot (which was already compressed by the system in the first place). So, using it as a wallpaper compressed it even more.

I did notice that using a bigger image helps. Not sure if it's just me.

#12 Edited by dipdish (868 posts) -

@Lhomity said:

I like my Vita UI. :(

Wish I could make the bubbles stop moving though.

I thought jumping bubbles were cute.

#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71691 posts) -

The UI does not bother me at all atm, i like it tbh

#14 Posted by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

Make a better browser, better mail application... I don't care about the UI. Gaming needs better games, not attention to fluff interfaces and other meaningless junk.

#15 Posted by tempura13 (463 posts) -
@yixingtpot said:

Make a better browser, better mail application... I don't care about the UI. Gaming needs better games, not attention to fluff interfaces and other meaningless junk.

I'm sure you'll complain if the Vita's UI is slow, clunky, and unresponsive. Any sort of improvement is a step in the right direction, yes?

And the Vita is delivering so far with the games this year too.

#16 Posted by Blabadon (26305 posts) -

The UI is garbage and I wish they change it.