Does the PS3 needs an extra fan (cooler)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

liquidass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 liquidass
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts
What's up with that? I see a lot of people complaining about the overheating of the console and say that you need to buy an extra cooler for the console otherwise you might have problem in a near future... But for what I can remember, after the lunch a lot of people were saying that the console was getting hot but not too hot. What about you? Did you purchase one of those extra fan? Should I? Because like a lot of you i would like to keep my ps3 for a long time...
---SLUG---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ---SLUG---
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts
doesn't neet it, ps3 already has an advanced cooling system thats why it feels hot OUTSIDE the console. Its a good sign, since the warm air is no longer in the console. Some people don't understand this. Don't waste your money on one.
downPlayDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 downPlayDemon
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
only if your ps3 is going to be in a small compartment.
---SLUG---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ---SLUG---

only if your ps3 is going to be in a small compartment.downPlayDemon

even then an extra fan wont help. the problem with a small compartment is that the system recycles its own hot air, making it tougher to cool down. an extra fan will just increase the amount of hot air being forced into the system.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts

People who buy an extra fan for the PS3 are paranoid. There, i said it.

There's no need for the extra fan. Just give it enough space to breath and the PS3 will do just fine.

Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
i smell a troll i never see the ps3 have any overheating prob never you must be on the 360 boards ps3 doesnt need an extra cooler it will prob break it rather then help
ff10andff12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ff10andff12
Member since 2006 • 72 Posts
As long as you have a good enough of air flow around your PS3 it will stay cool, but one factor that you should control is that you should  not have the room temp above 85 degrees.  Other than that  you should be fine.
deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

It's normal for the PS3 to be hot around the ventilation holes. It means the hot air is getting OUT!

If you touch the top of the console and it's hot, then you might have problems (considering it's not standing, in that case it would be the left side). That would mean the hot air stays inside. 

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
it wouldn't hurt to have one if you want to spend the money but it is fine with out it.
---SLUG---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ---SLUG---

it wouldn't hurt to have one if you want to spend the money but it is fine with out it.GARRYTH

it actually can hurt, fans forcing extra air into the console puts more strain on the original fans. extra force that a component wasn't designed for is never a good thing. lol there isn't one good thing about "cooler's"

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts

[QUOTE="GARRYTH"]it wouldn't hurt to have one if you want to spend the money but it is fine with out it.---SLUG---

it actually can hurt, fans forcing extra air into the console puts more strain on the original fans. extra force that a component wasn't designed for is never a good thing. lol there isn't one good thing about "cooler's"

in that case no you do not need a extra cooling fan
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts
There simply no need for a extra fan... Well, as long as you keep it in a well ventilated area.
Avatar image for deactivated-58405e092ba2c
deactivated-58405e092ba2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 deactivated-58405e092ba2c
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

I don't think it's necesarry

The_G00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_G00se
Member since 2006 • 760 Posts

What's up with that? I see a lot of people complaining about the overheating of the console and say that you need to buy an extra cooler for the console otherwise you might have problem in a near future... But for what I can remember, after the lunch a lot of people were saying that the console was getting hot but not too hot. What about you? Did you purchase one of those extra fan? Should I? Because like a lot of you i would like to keep my ps3 for a long time...liquidass

Yes it does. If not, it will melt or explode and burn you!!! Get 3 or 4 fans...and never run your PS3 for more then 10 minutes at a time.

Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts

[QUOTE="liquidass"]What's up with that? I see a lot of people complaining about the overheating of the console and say that you need to buy an extra cooler for the console otherwise you might have problem in a near future... But for what I can remember, after the lunch a lot of people were saying that the console was getting hot but not too hot. What about you? Did you purchase one of those extra fan? Should I? Because like a lot of you i would like to keep my ps3 for a long time...The_G00se

Yes it does. If not, it will melt or explode and burn you!!! Get 3 or 4 fans...and never run your PS3 for more then 10 minutes at a time.

lol talking about the 360 again are we 

ludacriss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ludacriss
Member since 2005 • 1150 Posts

People who buy an extra fan for the PS3 are paranoid. There, i said it.

There's no need for the extra fan. Just give it enough space to breath and the PS3 will do just fine.

lusitanogamer

Very true, ps3 doesn't need an extra cooler.

Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Col_Swamp
Member since 2006 • 937 Posts

have had my ps3 since dcember and not one overheating issue. i dont get where these people come off saying it overheates. i mean obviously if you leave the console in a small enclosed area it is going to overheat. but that's just common sense.......which like nintendo wiis is in short supply.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
doesnt need it, will actaully cause overheatin
phaserde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 phaserde
Member since 2003 • 41 Posts

[QUOTE="GARRYTH"]it wouldn't hurt to have one if you want to spend the money but it is fine with out it.---SLUG---

Actually these fans dont push air into the system, they draw air out of the system, just like pc fans or anything else. I wouldnt think you'd need it though unless as someone said, its going to be in a location where it has no room to breathe. And when I say room to breath, I mean it should probably have at least 2ftx2ftx2ft of open space so the hot air can be properly expelled and carried away from the console

AliasUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AliasUK
Member since 2006 • 872 Posts
Don't keep it in a shoebox.
The_G00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_G00se
Member since 2006 • 760 Posts

[QUOTE="---SLUG---"]

[QUOTE="GARRYTH"]it wouldn't hurt to have one if you want to spend the money but it is fine with out it.phaserde

Actually these fans dont push air into the system, they draw air out of the system, just like pc fans or anything else. I wouldnt think you'd need it though unless as someone said, its going to be in a location where it has no room to breathe. And when I say room to breath, I mean it should probably have at least 2ftx2ftx2ft of open space so the hot air can be properly expelled and carried away from the console

Exactly. A lot of people, especially like us gaming nerds, like to think we know more about design then the people making the freaking units.  Just have faith in Sony that they did it right and play.  I swear I don't know how today's typical gamer's heart doesn't just explode from all this worry!!!  Buy the unit, play the games, enjoy your life and worry less!!

Trek5200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Trek5200
Member since 2007 • 599 Posts
[QUOTE="phaserde"]

[QUOTE="---SLUG---"]

[QUOTE="GARRYTH"]it wouldn't hurt to have one if you want to spend the money but it is fine with out it.The_G00se

Exactly. A lot of people, especially like us gaming nerds, like to think we know more about design then the people making the freaking units.  Just have faith in Sony that they did it right and play.  I swear I don't know how today's typical gamer's heart doesn't just explode from all this worry!!!  Buy the unit, play the games, enjoy your life and worry less!!

Well said Goose!!  With over six months of play going on and some of us who leave our PS3's on a LOT!  (mine is in the middle of a Week of straight  Folding and no problems at all.  Sony built it right guys and gals just mellow out and enjoy the ride.