Does internet browser on a ps4 matter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BH14 (1671 posts) -

The internet browser on the ps3 is slow and just a bad user interface. I never use it anymore. Why cant they just make it like a computer or tablet browser? You would think the ps4 browser would be far better and faster. Does the browser matter anymore?

#2 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -
#3 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -
I believe it will matter, with many people claiming the next generation will offer us one device to be a complete multimedia machine, well done web browser will play an important role as well.
#4 Posted by Husko (162 posts) -
browsers on the ps3 and xbox are both horrible experirences. they are slow and clumsy to navigate. Mark my words. In 3 years everyone wil be complaing that the next genereration consoles are not gaming machine. And it would be a good idea to start complaining even now.
#5 Posted by Bishop1310 (987 posts) -

If it's suppose to be designed with a PC like platform I think it only makes sense that it will have a decent browser. I have a feeling that because of the PC hardware design we're going to see full mouse and keyboard support as well. 

Sony wants this thing to be THE center of your entertainment system so I think they need to make it as feature friendly as possible. Including apps and 3rd party aps.  

#6 Posted by SoNin360 (5353 posts) -
I imagine the browser will be much improved because it should be able to handle it and all. I'm more interested in just the games, but I wouldn't mind having a usable browser as a back-up.
#7 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -
Internet browser with a controller is the worst thing to do. I was using it once, and then I realized I had my iPhone sitting next to me. I punched myself in the head, and never looked back.
#8 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2636 posts) -

No.

#9 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70678 posts) -
nope, i would hate having a browser for a console
#10 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I never use the browser on my PS3 because without a keyboard, browsing the internet is just a joke.  Even if I bought a keyboard, my PS3's in the family room and there's no desk in there to put it on, so it would be extremely inconvenient to try and type with the thing sitting in my lap.

#11 Posted by ScreamDream (3953 posts) -

Not for me. It doesn't still do Java right on some sights. I wish they would put Google Chrome on PS4.

#12 Posted by gamenerd15 (4438 posts) -

I use the PS3 browser a lot to watch movies from places like Gorillavid, Sockshare, and Putlocker, so if the PS4 will hopefully have a better browser than the one that is in the PS3, 

#13 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18360 posts) -
Nope, I never use the browser on PS3.. I use it on my laptop, PC or tablet instead.
#14 Posted by nyc05 (10178 posts) -

Sony will want to keep users on their PS4, not shutting them off to use their desktop, iPad, laptop or phone, and the best way to accomplish that is to make sure the PS4 satisfies what the user wants and needs.

The fact is that nowadays people want a device that can do it all.  Web browsing is a part of that, and Sony would be wise to make sure that the PS4 can accommodate that need that many will have.

So, yes.  It does matter.  I don't personally care if it's there, but it should be available for those that do want it.

#15 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

Not to me, I would much rather just use a computer. People will probably still complain though if the browser isn't completely up to date

#16 Posted by The-Apostle (12170 posts) -
#17 Posted by metalgrinch (455 posts) -

Laptops, desktops, and good tablets or smart phones are good for internet browsing. TV's and game consoles are pointless, slow and horrible. I'm sure it'll have a browser but if I were Sony, I wouldn't bother putting more effort into it than I needed to. Instead, use that time and money to make the console better.

#18 Posted by clr84651 (5365 posts) -

I like the internet browser on PS3. It allows you to download free themes, music, and more to your PS3. 

#19 Posted by Megavideogamer (5323 posts) -

The Playstation 4 will have an internet browser. But mostly it does not matter. People will access the internet on other devices mostly. I have used the PS3 internet browser just once way back when I first got the Playstation 3. Just to try it.

Theses days it the internet browers is just a standard feature. Sort of like using the PS3 to play music on Compact discs. It can be done but hardly anyone has done this.

#20 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -
If I want to browse I use my laptop. I never used the PS3 browser.
#21 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

I have never, nor will I ever use any video game console browser. I hope they improve it for those that do use it, but I only use my console to play games. I hope they offer a basic gaming model, if they plan to take over my living room. That would be the best option, I use my computer for everything else. The more they focus on browsers and it becoming a nerve center, the closer we are to online required. And that, I definitely don't want. Just give me the best you've got when it comes to games, and I will buy your machine.

#22 Posted by BH14 (1671 posts) -

I have never, nor will I ever use any video game console browser. I hope they improve it for those that do use it, but I only use my console to play games. I hope they offer a basic gaming model, if they plan to take over my living room. That would be the best option, I use my computer for everything else. The more they focus on browsers and it becoming a nerve center, the closer we are to online required. And that, I definitely don't want. Just give me the best you've got when it comes to games, and I will buy your machine.

Namgis

I think the clunkiness and the slowness of the ps3 browser left a bad taste in gamers mouth. It should have been much better. If the ps4 browser is user friendly and fast like a tablet browser, i think more people would use it and enjoy it. It would still be my 3rd option for browsing but that is more use than the ps3 browser which is just bad. You could use your system for strictly gaming but when a system is gonna cost over $400, i think it should do lot more especially play bluray movies and netflix.

#23 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

You could use your system for strictly gaming but when a system is gonna cost over $400, i think it should do lot more especially play bluray movies and netflix.

BH14

That's why I hope there's an option for just a gaming machine. I would pay $250 for something that just plays games. Since I already have a great bluray player(PS3) and netflix(pc) those improvements would be wasted on me. I'm all for improving tech and ease of use, but it would be nice if I didn't have to pay for something I will never use. Like MP.

#24 Posted by ThePhantomGamer (1811 posts) -

To me, no.  If you have an internet connection, you should have a computer in the house.  For me, I alway use my computer/laptop for iweb browsing.